$129 for a glorified USB cable?

Kinder

Just came across this.

Seems that Apple is adding yet another Thunderbolt cable to it's roster. This one is over 6' long and can support 100w charging as well as DP.

Why bother having a standard when companies keep changing the spec? To the average person all these USB-C cables look the same and having so many different specs for the same form factor is just confusing.

How is it different than having proprietary cables? I mean at least then you know what you needed.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/apples-new-thunderbolt-3-cable-costs-a-whopping-dollar129/ar-BB17eVSQ?li=BBnb7Kz 

To be fair they're not forcing you to buy that cable and a 2 meter USB C cable that delivers 100W is insane and isn't that far off from prices that other companies are selling them.

For example:

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Thunderbolt-Cable-40Gbps-Charger/dp/B01N9J47EG

Also companies are not changing the spec, those functionalities are all within the USB-C standard, but not every cable supports all those features

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

2 minutes ago, Syn. said:

To be fair they're not forcing you to buy that cable and a 2 meter USB C cable that delivers 100W is insane and isn't that far off from prices that other companies are selling them.

For example:

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Thunderbolt-Cable-40Gbps-Charger/dp/B01N9J47EG

Also companies are not changing the spec, those functionalities are all within the USB-C standard, but not every cable supports all those features

Yep, also the Apple cable is active so it boosts the signal sent over it. You'd be hard pressed to find an active cable for cheaper.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

Yeah, if you're comparing legit Thunderbolt 3 to USB prices then you're doing it wrong.  Look at all the different Thunderbolt accessories and the ones that actually do everything Thunderbolt does will not be cheap.  

I will grant that there is always going to be an Apple tax on Apple products though.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

8 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

????

That's 80cm and not 2 meters

Just now, huilun02 said:

There is a 2m version of the same thing for $35, on the same page...

The 2m version is only 20Gbps and not 40

3 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Even Apple's cable doesnt guarantee 40Gbps. Be very careful with they say "up to"

Do you have the product spec sheet?

It says up to because it's dependent upon the underlying thing you're transferring whether it actually reaches 40Gbps.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

-Moved to Peripherals-

This does not meet Tech News Posting Guidelines. The forum has a default template to comply with the below guidelines. Please use it. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

8 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Even Apple's cable doesnt guarantee 40Gbps. Be very careful with they say "up to"

Do you have the product spec sheet?

It needs to be 40Gbps to drive the XDR Display which is 6K Resolution, the 20Gbps one only does 4K

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

2 hours ago, spartaman64 said:

Yes those are 2m Thunderbolt 3 passive cables. The $129 they're gonna release is an active cable. I don't know if it's worth the extra $60 (probably not) but they're not the same thing.
Looking around on Amazon there seem to be a few cheaper 2m TB 3 active cables, but it's apple and there are enough people that just blindly buy apple no matter the extra markup.

54 minutes ago, Medicate said:

Yes those are 2m Thunderbolt 3 passive cables. The $129 they're gonna release is an active cable. I don't know if it's worth the extra $60 (probably not) but they're not the same thing.
Looking around on Amazon there seem to be a few cheaper 2m TB 3 active cables, but it's apple and there are enough people that just blindly buy apple no matter the extra markup.

really from what i read they have to be active to reach 40gbps at lengths more than 1m

While I understand the 'spec' comments in the end they all look the same rolled up in my drawer. They all fit the same devices. And when they 'don't work' they get tossed and new ones get bought. 

To be fair I'm aware of the differences but many people are not. Many people buy a device and to them all cables that look the same and fit the hole are the same. 

It just creates confusion in the market place.