Good Laptop for everyday use

Hello together

Im in search for a laptop i can use all day long.
That includes:
- Youtube

- Webbrowsing

- Programming

Ive tried searching, but there are to many different models out there and Laptops arent my world, PCs are.

My need to haves are:

- Good keyboard

- Good Battery life (respectivly to the spec of the laptop)

- 1440p

- 16GB Ram

- 6 Cores (8 cores if the laptop doesnt overheat)

- 15 Inch screen

- SSD (no HHDs, Only SATA and M.2 SSDs)

Nice to haves (If not to expensive, dont need to be, just an added bonus)

- Touch

- 4k Screen

- 8 Cores or more

- 17 inch screen

- modular ( upgradable ram, SSD)

- grafics chip

- Fingerprint reader

- Windows Hello

I know that a mac would fit some of my needs, but im really not into that ecosystem.

Im also willing to shillout more money for looks. Im really not into all that grey or glossy black, but i love matte black, or flashy colors.

I really dont care if its Intel or AMD based, as long as it runs smoothly.

Thank you for your help
Joel

Edited by Rocksta
clarity

1 hour ago, Rocksta said:

Hello together

That includes:
- Youtube

- Webbrowsing

- Programming

Ive tried searching, but there are to many different models out there and Laptops arent my world, PCs are.

My need to haves are:

- Good keyboard

- Good Battery life

- at least 1440p

- 16GB Ram

- at least 6 Cores

- 15 Inch screen

- Windows Hello

Nice to haves (If not to expensive):

- Touch

- 4k Screen

- 8 Cores or more

- 17 inch screen

- grafics chip

- Fingerprint reader

I know that a mac would fit some of my needs, but im really not into that ecosystem.

Im also willing to shillout more money for looks. Im really not into all that grey or glossy black, but i love matte black, or flashy colors.

Thank you for your help
Joel

Depends on your budget. Also you're shelling out for software with macs 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

1 hour ago, Rocksta said:

Hello together

That includes:
- Youtube

- Webbrowsing

- Programming

My need to haves are:

- Good keyboard

- Good Battery life

- at least 1440p

- 16GB Ram

- at least 6 Cores

- 15 Inch screen

- Windows Hello

Nice to haves (If not to expensive):

- Touch

- 4k Screen

- 8 Cores or more

- 17 inch screen

- grafics chip

- Fingerprint reader

Thank you for your help
Joel

Asus Zephyrus G15 is basically the only thing that comes close to what you want.

some of your requirements are contradicting each other or are only available if you shell out real good money.

if you can make some compromises something like the new HP envy x360 with the AMD CPU´s would fit most of the things you want to have.

1 hour ago, Lord Vile said:

Depends on your budget. Also you're shelling out for software with macs 

2k to 2.5k, max 3k (Swiss Francs, Euros, Dollars)

38 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Asus Zephyrus G15 is basically the only thing that comes close to what you want.

Thx will look into that

8 minutes ago, Pixel5 said:

some of your requirements are contradicting each other or are only available if you shell out real good money.

if you can make some compromises something like the new HP envy x360 with the AMD CPU´s would fit most of the things you want to have.

How do you mean they contradict each other? I understand i cant get the same battery life if i take one with a 1440p display in comaprison to a Full HD one. But else i think it would fit. But yea i know it isnt cheap.

1 minute ago, Rocksta said:

2k to 2.5k, max 3k (Swiss Francs, Euros, Dollars)

Thx will look into that

How do you mean they contradict each other? I understand i cant get the same battery life if i take one with a 1440p display in comaprison to a Full HD one. But else i think it would fit. But yea i know it isnt cheap.

MBP 16" would make the most sense for programming. Fills all of your needs aside from subbing Hello for TouchID and most of the none essential stuff. Though having windows hello wouldn't be that great for programming as you'd need to dual boot linux where it wouldn't work. 

2 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

MBP 16" would make the most sense for programming. Fills all of your needs aside from subbing Hello for TouchID and most of the none essential stuff. Though having windows hello wouldn't be that great for programming as you'd need to dual boot linux where it wouldn't work. 

As said in my original post, ik that a mbp would fit my needs, but i dont like the apple eco system.
Thats why im in search of a windows machine thats capable of doing nearly the same things.

3 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

He also won't have touch and nothing is upgradeable. He also won't have Windows support as recent MacBooks don't have any usability due to extreme heat as Apple do not apply their software undervolt in bootcamp.

1 minute ago, Rocksta said:

As said in my original post, ik that a mbp would fit my needs, but i dont like the apple eco system.
Thats why im in search of a windows machine thats capable of doing nearly the same things

You're looking for a unicorn basically. The reason is that you can't have a massive display with high Res and more than 5 hours of battery life. You also can't have 8 cores and not cook the laptop to death in a slim profile (just look at the MBP - the 8 core models have no boost and run pegged at 100 degrees and die off much faster as a result). Same reason why a good GPU is hard to fit.

You also can't have portable and easily upgradeable.

Like I said, the I lay thing even remotely close is the G15

4 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

He also won't have touch and nothing is upgradeable. He also won't have Windows support as recent MacBooks don't have any usability due to extreme heat as Apple do not apply their software undervolt in bootcamp.

Yea the touch and upgradability are nice to have, but doesnt need to be.

4 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

You're looking for a unicorn basically. The reason is that you can't have a massive display with high Res and more than 5 hours of battery life. You also can't have 8 cores and not cook the laptop to death in a slim profile (just look at the MBP - the 8 core models have no boost and run pegged at 100 degrees and die off much faster as a result). Same reason why a good GPU is hard to fit.

Ah Ok now i understand what you meant. I will edit my original post, so that its clearer.

8 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

You also can't have portable and easily upgradeable.

Like I said, the I lay thing even remotely close is the G15

Would be great aside from touch being horrendous for a laptop and most laptops aren't upgradable anymore.

I bootcamp mine and it's fine, again stop believing everything you read on the internet. I have a MBP 16", I have boot camped it and ran it at load while in bootcamp, it's fine. If you really were that worried you can just run a VM. 

Macbook has a 16" 3K screen and around 10 hours of battery life so dunno what you're on about. 

11 minutes ago, Rocksta said:

Thats why im in search of a windows machine thats capable of doing nearly the same things.

You don't have to be in their ecosystem? There's certainly benefits to having a mac, iPhone, apple watch etc but just to use the Macbook that's all you need. A windows machine can't do the same thing because it doesn't run MacOS. W10 isn't Unix based so it is flat out worse for coding and you will need to constantly boot into Linux through dual boot or VM whereas on MacOs you can get away with just sticking to MacOS for the most part. 

5 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

Would be great aside from touch being horrendous for a laptop and most laptops aren't upgradable anymore.

I bootcamp mine and it's fine, again stop believing everything you read on the internet. I have a MBP 16", I have boot camped it and ran it at load while in bootcamp, it's fine. If you really were that worried you can just run a VM. 

Macbook has a 16" 3K screen and around 10 hours of battery life so dunno what you're on about. 

I am against apple, but i need to say, you are making a good point and youve my interest. maybe i will buy one, but first i will wait if someone says another one.

7 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

You don't have to be in their ecosystem? There's certainly benefits to having a mac, iPhone, apple watch etc but just to use the Macbook that's all you need. A windows machine can't do the same thing because it doesn't run MacOS. W10 isn't Unix based so it is flat out worse for coding and you will need to constantly boot into Linux through dual boot or VM whereas on MacOs you can get away with just sticking to MacOS for the most part. 

You are right. Im just looking from the outside in, so im just thinking about the eco system. I wasnt really thinking about the mac alone.

4 hours ago, Rocksta said:

I am against apple, but i need to say, you are making a good point and youve my interest. maybe i will buy one, but first i will wait if someone says another one.

You are right. Im just looking from the outside in, so im just thinking about the eco system. I wasnt really thinking about the mac alone.

Not saying it's the right thing to go for but they're good for coding because MacOS is Unix, you can use any OS you want on it and if you wanna code for apple products you have to do it on a Mac. 

I'd see if there's anywhere you can have a go on one, believe apple do workshops about coding etc when things are open or they might even be online now, will be basic AF but it might highlight some strengths or weaknesses in the platform for you. They obviously have some weaknesses like spec for spec they're generally more expensive than a windows machine but that's for the most part due to the OS and exclusive software if gives you access to like Final cut and Logic to name a couple. 

For transparencies sake I am well and truly in the ecosystem with the phone, Mac, apple music and I wear an apple watch 50/50 swapping with my automatic one, nearly got a homepod but came to my senses and I enjoy it but some people don't. I would happily use a Mac without everything else though. 

On 7/27/2020 at 1:00 PM, Rocksta said:

contradict may be the wrong word here yea i just mean that you usually cant have all of these points at the same time in a device unless you pay a huge premium for it.

especially the 1440p screen is a huge factor as most laptops either come in 1080p only or offer a 4k option, anything in between is very rare.

10 minutes ago, Pixel5 said:

contradict may be the wrong word here yea i just mean that you usually cant have all of these points at the same time in a device unless you pay a huge premium for it.

especially the 1440p screen is a huge factor as most laptops either come in 1080p only or offer a 4k option, anything in between is very rare.

Macbooks ship with at least the 16:9 equivalent of 1440p ;)

Maybe a ThinkPad X1 Extreme or P1 with 4K display. There are tradeoffs, though, as the thin and light design means you'll need to change out to good thermal paste and undervolt the CPU to keep temperatures manageable. The 4K display is also brutal on the battery life, moreso if you also add a touch display. On Gen 1, the 4K touch display chopped battery life in half. For basic office work and web browsing, your battery life would drop from about 6-8 hours to 3-4 hours with 4K. They do, however, have fantastic keyboards and are decently modular. There are two SSD slots and two SODIMM slots for up to 64 GB of RAM. There's also a fingerprint reader and Windows Hello facial recognition on some configurations. From Gen 2 onwards, you can have facial recognition and also keep the built-in webcam privacy shutter. There's the option of 8 core CPUs on Gen 2 and the upcoming Gen 3 but I wouldn't go for those since thermal constraints mean there's not much difference with a six core option. If they had Ryzen 4000 options, that'd be a different story but they don't.

I'd be tempted by the XPS 15, although Dell is guilty of the common Windows laptop maker practice of making you choose between a no-frills 1080p display and a battery-killing 4K touchscreen, with nothing in the middle.  I've also heard about a few technical troubles, but I don't know how widespread they really are.

I agree with others that the 16-inch MacBook Pro would be the sweet spot hardware-wise, but it's both expensive and running macOS, which you'd rather not use. And I wouldn't buy a Mac primarily to run Windows, no matter how well it works.