Is my PSU about to die?

Hi, over the past few days i have noticed a slight delay between when i press the power button on my PC and when the PC actually powers on ( ±0.5 seconds according to my newbie stopwatch skills). This did not happen before at all. After looking up online, some people that have had similar problems but different scenarios were being recomended to change their PSUs. The delay is consistent upon every power up. My PSU is old tho. I bought it used last year and i have had absolutely no problems at all even when overclocking or on full load. 

My PSU: Corsair HX620 620w 80+ Silver

it might just the power button ! :) try shorting pins on mobo by screw driver 

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

21 minutes ago, undercooked spaghetti said:

My PSU: Corsair HX620 620w 80+ Silver

Wow... That's old. That was Corsair's first PSU if I remember correctly. The question shouldn't be "Is it about to die?" but "how has it lasted for so long?"

It's 80+ Standard, not 80+ Silver just fyi. There was a HX series that came out a few years later which was 80+ silver but the HX620 wasn't part of that.

Not sure what is causing the delay when you push the power button, but since it's more than a decade old you should replace the power supply regardless.

What system do you have?

Edit: 2006 it came out! Reviewed by @jonnyGURU back when he was reviewing PSUs.

https://www.jonnyguru.com/blog/2006/07/16/corsair-hx620w-620w-power-supply/

Edited by Spotty

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

21 minutes ago, undercooked spaghetti said:

Corsair HX620 620w 80+ Silver

There was an 80 PLUS Silver efficiency rated Corsair HX620?

Answer:  No.

That PSU is over 10 years old.  Time for it to retire.

as everyone above has said, dude, this thing is literally from '06-'07. It's good night time for the unit, as good as it may have been back then (some reviews show that it's actually a very impressive 2006-07 unit)

It is but human, to err, to buy a PSU, akin to dirt,

but fret not, young Padawan, for we will tell you, 

what will become, of that, which you have earned

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/27/2020 at 12:03 PM, Spotty said:

Wow... That's old. That was Corsair's first PSU if I remember correctly. The question shouldn't be "Is it about to die?" but "how has it lasted for so long?"

It's 80+ Standard, not 80+ Silver just fyi. There was a HX series that came out a few years later which was 80+ silver but the HX620 wasn't part of that.

Not sure what is causing the delay when you push the power button, but since it's more than a decade old you should replace the power supply regardless.

What system do you have?

Edit: 2006 it came out! Reviewed by @jonnyGURU back when he was reviewing PSUs.

https://www.jonnyguru.com/blog/2006/07/16/corsair-hx620w-620w-power-supply/

I haven't had any problems not even a single one so far with this PSU but i think i should upgrade before waiting to find out. I was concerned about this and asked a few people for help (last year). Everyone said that this PSU is good enough and as long as you don't run into issues, you'll be fine. However, I have my eyes on some PSUs. Let me know if any of these are worth buying. 

Corsair TX650M 650W 80 Plus Gold Semi-Modular Power Supply (Expensive in my country)

Cooler Master MWE GOLD 750Watts FULLY MODULAR Power Supply (around $35 cheaper than the corsair one in my country)

i'll appericate if you have better suggestions. My budget is around $100 US

9 hours ago, undercooked spaghetti said:

Let me know if any of these are worth buying. 

Corsair TX650M 650W 80 Plus Gold Semi-Modular Power Supply (Expensive in my country)

Cooler Master MWE GOLD 750Watts FULLY MODULAR Power Supply (around $35 cheaper than the corsair one in my country)

Both are decent and would be much better than your current 14 year old unit.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450