New Intel Build... Any ideas?

EXTRADODO
Go to solution Solved by Dravinian,
15 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

Yeah but loading is gonna take like a minute or whatever, what matters is the processing power in general

That would depend and goes hand in hand with this comment:

3 minutes ago, Foef_Yet_Flalf said:

It doesn't seem like its worth the money for you to upgrade at the moment. Wait several generations in the future for your money to become more valuable.

That depends on the value of the time.

Sure you may pay $2k for a faster CPU that is only marginally faster, but if the time you gain saves you $10k or $20k in fees then that is a wise investment.

It is why LMG always have ridiculously powerful editing machines, and as Linus explained in a video recently when talking about why he pays SO much for Adobe (I think $10k a year?) the time lost, across all the employees and what that would be in financial terms, actually outweighs the cost pretty quickly.

Use Case : Office Workstation

Why Intel (?) : dat boost clock tho ... xD

The main target is to get that sweet boost clock which is essential in our daily work use.

The problem is that I don’t know what motherboard to choose from.

Any ideas including “why intel, bruh!!?” are welcome. ❤️

Our old workstation has something like this.

CPU : Core i9-9900K overclocked all core to 5.0GHz (tried 5.1GHz but unstable)

GPU : 2080Ti

RAM : 64GB 3200MHz

SSD : Samsung 970 Pro 1TB

I’m thinking these as a new workstation.

CPU : Core i9-10900K (target : at leased 8C/16T with the fastest boost clock)

GPU : 2080Ti (but will replace with 3000 series whenever they release)

RAM : 64GB 3600MHz (we might not use beyond 64GB)

Let me know what you all thinking down below in the comment.
Love you all.

No need to upgrade from the older ones, but why such powerfull for office work what is the workload?

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

Just curious, why such a focus on boost clock? most workstations should prefer more cores/threads. What are you running on it? 

i7-8700k @ 4.8Ghz | EVGA CLC 280mm | Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 | 16GB G-Skill DDR4-3000 C15 | EVGA RTX 2080 | Corsair RM650x | NZXT S340 Elite | Zowie XL2730 

Something like an R9 3900X or 3950X would be better. Clocks aren't everything. The 10900K does do better in gaming workloads, but for productivity tasks AMD's R9 chips blow it out of the water. See Gamer Nexus test data.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

2 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

What's your workload? Like the actual name of the program or whatever. I don't really know of anything that needs super high single core + insane GPU compute + insane memory capacity. Can you check if your workload scales between cores? It may be worth it to consider a threadripper machine in that case.

@BlueScope819 We use these app below.

Revit

ArchiCAD

Lumion

other rendering softwares

Adobe Creative Cloud (premiere pro / illustrator / etc .. )

###

We’re building all in one PCs for the work.

We have threadripper built but don’t want to wait 1 minutes to load data compare to intel i9-9900K ones. 

7 minutes ago, Kanna said:

No need to upgrade from the older ones, but why such powerfull for office work what is the workload?

Hello @Kanna ... Forgot to mention that this workstation is something like all-in-one / do-everything machine.

8 minutes ago, AntiTrust said:

Just curious, why such a focus on boost clock? most workstations should prefer more cores/threads. What are you running on it? 

@AntiTrust Current CAD softwares don’t take advantage of all cores while loading.
Sure they use more cores and thread after loaded but our heavy data ain’t gonna cut it.

Before anyone says anything about light-weighting CAD models, “NO.. We want to see the full data of the whole city in detail” ..

3 minutes ago, ZWELINHTET said:

Hello @Kanna ... Forgot to mention that this workstation is something like all-in-one / do-everything machine.

Still pretty solid for gaming etc, if you still want to game I wouldn't go titan, cpu difference isn't big at all and rest is pretty good

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

Is the 9900K not fast enough? I mean, the 10900K is faster (mostly because of the 2 extra cores and 4 extra threads) mind you, but like if you're expecting a major leap forward, then this ain't it.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

It doesn't seem like its worth the money for you to upgrade at the moment. Wait several generations in the future for your money to become more valuable.

White Elephant

Crappy CPUAMD FX-6300

Inadequate Cooler: Coolermaster MasterLiquid Pro 120

Garbage Mobo: GA-990FXA-UD3 R5

Shitty RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3, 4 sticks, 2 black and 2 white

Stupid GFX card: EVGA GTX 750 Ti FTW ACX

Fire-Prone PSUEVGA 500W W1 80+

Ugly CaseNZXT S340 White

Slow StorageSamsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD

Components lost in the line of Duty

Broken Cold Cathode, Broken white LED strip, crumbly thermal compund, bent-up Hyper 212 Evo, Trashed Corsair Carbide 100R Silent, 12 dozen broken case fans

15 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

Yeah but loading is gonna take like a minute or whatever, what matters is the processing power in general

That would depend and goes hand in hand with this comment:

3 minutes ago, Foef_Yet_Flalf said:

That depends on the value of the time.

Sure you may pay $2k for a faster CPU that is only marginally faster, but if the time you gain saves you $10k or $20k in fees then that is a wise investment.

It is why LMG always have ridiculously powerful editing machines, and as Linus explained in a video recently when talking about why he pays SO much for Adobe (I think $10k a year?) the time lost, across all the employees and what that would be in financial terms, actually outweighs the cost pretty quickly.

39 minutes ago, ZWELINHTET said:

Use Case : Office Workstation

Why Intel (?) : dat boost clock tho ... xD

The main target is to get that sweet boost clock which is essential in our daily work use.

The problem is that I don’t know what motherboard to choose from.

Any ideas including “why intel, bruh!!?” are welcome. ❤️

Our old workstation has something like this.

CPU : Core i9-9900K overclocked all core to 5.0GHz (tried 5.1GHz but unstable)

GPU : 2080Ti

RAM : 64GB 3200MHz

I’m thinking these as a new workstation.

CPU : Core i9-10900K (target : at leased 8C/16T with the fastest boost clock)

GPU : 2080Ti (but will replace with 3000 series whenever they release)

RAM : 64GB 3600MHz (we might not use beyond 64GB)

Let me know what you all thinking down below in the comment.
Love you all.

R9 chips are insanly better in a wrokstation then intels i9 chips

Its not even comparable....

R9 chips are just too op against the 9900k and 10900k as a workstation

Its like comparing a 25 year old bodybuilder to Dwayne Johnson...............

Them gainssssss are waaaaayyayyyyayyay more 'gains' on the 3900x and 3950x

9th gen and 10th gen i9s are not that different from each other......

"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times." - Bruce Lee

2 minutes ago, HardStroke said:

R9 chips are insanly better in a wrokstation then intels i9 chips

Its not even comparable....

R9 chips are just too op against the 9900k and 10900k as a workstation

Its like comparing a 25 year old bodybuilder to Dwayne Johnson...............

Them gainssssss are waaaaayyayyyyayyay more 'gains' on the 3900x and 3950x

9th gen and 10th gen i9s are not that different from each other......

Revit apparently has a cap of 16 threads.  So 3900x and 3950x would be worse than the i9 10900k.

Since they both can reach 16 threads, but the 10900k can hit 5.0ghz where you be lucky to hit 4.3ghz stable on a 3900x.

Honestly, I am not sure whether the OP is seeking advice or just seeing whether AMD will be recommended no matter what you post.

7 minutes ago, Dravinian said:

Honestly, I am not sure whether the OP is seeking advice or just seeing whether AMD will be recommended no matter what you post.

I was thinking the same thing, it's both funny and sad. You give a situation where higher clock speeds will benefit more than cores/threads, as well as saying it's for business, where the investment into a faster CPU may pay for its self pretty quickly, and people still recommend AMD. 

5 minutes ago, Dravinian said:

Revit apparently has a cap of 16 threads.  So 3900x and 3950x would be worse than the i9 10900k.

Since they both can reach 16 threads, but the 10900k can hit 5.0ghz where you be lucky to hit 4.3ghz stable on a 3900x.

I know Ryzen is good in most use cases since I’m using one for my personal build.

I’ve tested intel ones including Xeon and ryzen ones including threadripper.

The conclusion I landed on is that when it comes to the fastest loading time, intel core i9 is the best.

I know I can save money if I go with Ryzen. But I would gladly sacrifice money for the mount of waiting time.

2 minutes ago, The_russian said:

I was thinking the same thing, it's both funny and sad. You give a situation where higher clock speeds will benefit more than cores/threads, as well as saying it's for business, where the investment into a faster CPU may pay for its self pretty quickly, and people still recommend AMD. 

Yeah. I know the more cores the better but my situation is best suited with the highest clock speed. I would spend more if I can cut down the waiting time.

1 minute ago, ZWELINHTET said:

Yeah. I know the more cores the better but my situation is best suited with the highest clock speed. I would spend more if I can cut down the waiting time.

Yeah in your case I think the 10900k would make the most sense.