Friend is upgrading but not sure what the better option is.

JCURSE7X

Budget (including currency): $400-$600 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Streaming, Esports Titles, FPS Games. 

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): Existing parts are as listed: 

AMD Ryzen 3700x 3.6GHz CPU
16 GB DDR4 Memory (dual channel) 
AMD Radeon RX 580 8GB
240GB SSD & 2TB HDD 
ASUS PRIME B450M-A Motherboard

He wants to upgrade his GPU from the Radeon RX 580 to a 2060 Super. I suggested to upgrade the Motherboard as I learned that board is not the best (per my own finding via LTT Forums) I am not exactly sure what he would want to upgrade here. Would he be safe to upgrade directly to the 2060 Super? Or would he want to upgrade to the new Mobo and then GPU? Sorry for repetitive questions as I am not 100% up to date with specific parts and products. 

30 minutes ago, JCURSE7X said:

Budget (including currency): $400-$600 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Streaming, Esports Titles, FPS Games. 

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): Existing parts are as listed: 

AMD Ryzen 3700x 3.6GHz CPU
16 GB DDR4 Memory (dual channel) 
AMD Radeon RX 580 8GB
240GB SSD & 2TB HDD 
ASUS PRIME B450M-A Motherboard

He wants to upgrade his GPU from the Radeon RX 580 to a 2060 Super. I suggested to upgrade the Motherboard as I learned that board is not the best (per my own finding via LTT Forums) I am not exactly sure what he would want to upgrade here. Would he be safe to upgrade directly to the 2060 Super? Or would he want to upgrade to the new Mobo and then GPU? Sorry for repetitive questions as I am not 100% up to date with specific parts and products. 

rx580 is still a strong gpu so i would personally wait till next gen drops and have a look at doing gpu then. For now i would look into a m/b. Personally i would look into a x570/b550 board and then sell the old board to make a little coin back. Also when next gen drops sell the rx 580 to once again recover a little bit of the cost or if he can live with out a pc for a day or two sell it and then get a new GPU

CPU - I9 10900 | CPU Cooler - Corsair Hydro Series H100x AIO | Motherboard -  Aorus B460 PRO AC | RAM -G.SKILL Ripjaw V series 4x8GB 2666MHZ | Graphics Card - Gigabyte RTX 3070  | Power Supply - Cooler Master 650w  | Storage -  Working on a new Spicy 

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro

3 minutes ago, Escapenz said:

rx580 is still a strong gpu so i would personally wait till next gen drops and have a look at doing gpu then. For now i would look into a m/b. Personally i would look into a x570/b550 board and then sell the old board to make a little coin back. Also when next gen drops sell the rx 580 to once again recover a little bit of the cost or if he can live with out a pc for a day or two sell it and then get a new GPU

i was thinking the same thing as well, especially if you oc the 580 to 1500mhz, as long as you have a half decent card you should be able to add +50% to the power limit to prevent power throttling, the 580 gets a little hungry when overclocked, 220w hungry

you do not need a new motherboard. it should run perfectly fine. b450 is designed so it can run any ryzen cpu. 

I would recommend waiting till late august/September because that is when new cards are rumored to launch. current gpu prices will drop

3 minutes ago, Saksham said:

you do not need a new motherboard. it should run perfectly fine. b450 is designed so it can run any ryzen cpu. 

I would recommend waiting till late august/September because that is when new cards are rumored to launch. current gpu prices will drop

im 97% sure that the b450 series will also have not only full support for gen 1 through 3 but will also have some sort of beta type support for 4th gen, so the b450 series is an alright place to be

15 minutes ago, GoodEnough said:

im 97% sure that the b450 series will also have not only full support for gen 1 through 3 but will also have some sort of beta type support for 4th gen, so the b450 series is an alright place to be

21 minutes ago, Saksham said:

25 minutes ago, GoodEnough said:

i was thinking the same thing as well, especially if you oc the 580 to 1500mhz, as long as you have a half decent card you should be able to add +50% to the power limit to prevent power throttling, the 580 gets a little hungry when overclocked, 220w hungry

I appreciate the feedback! I had figured that the board wasn't as much an issue. I have been reading up on the new / previewed cards that are to drop in the future and I think I agree for the most part his current rig is completely fine. I will keep asking these dumb questions as I am learning! Thanks guys! ❤️