Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Retail WoW 4k/60fps+(max settings) Full Raid - i7-6700

Currently the gtx 980 can't quite handle this. It dips into the 30s at some points during big battles.

I'm curious, what is the fastest GPU I can pair with the 6700 before it's being bottlenecked by the CPU at 4k.

Thanks in advance!

8 minutes ago, t33to said:

I'm curious, what is the fastest GPU I can pair with the 6700 before it's being bottlenecked by the CPU at 4k

Increasing reso does not tax the cpu that much more. What usage are you getting rn?

Quote or at me @Smit Devrukhkar for me to see your replies.

Laptop :

Legion y520

i5 7300hq

1050 4gb oc

16gb ram

256 gb ssd

2tb hdd

Server:

Xeon E3 1245

16gb ram

256 gb ssd

2*2tb hdd

13 minutes ago, t33to said:

Currently the gtx 980 can't quite handle this. It dips into the 30s at some points during big battles.

I'm curious, what is the fastest GPU I can pair with the 6700 before it's being bottlenecked by the CPU at 4k.

Thanks in advance!

If anything, 4K should tax the CPU less, as it's not having to handle as many frames from the GPU. I think you're entirely GPU bottlenecked here, and things are slowing down simply because there's too many updates for the GPU to render efficiently. Smooth 4K gaming is still difficult to achieve even with a top of the line card. You can probably do a solid 60fps with a 2080 Ti but anything less is going to struggle to keep up. Ampere and RDNA2 may finally get over the hump, but true 4K gaming is still at its nascent stage right now.

Wow will always be CPU bottlenecked, like all open-world and MMO games due to how much they have to render in the open world and in raids.  The real problem is that WoW only uses 4 CPU threads, and only uses 1 core properly.  The other 3 sit at very low utilization while the 1 core is maxed out completely.

WoW's DX12 is also a only partial implementation but it does alleviate some of the draw call issues.  A 1070 or so will probably still work fine, but I haven't played WoW since I upgraded from a Intel i5-3570k to a Ryzen 7 3700x.  Well, I did login during one of their many 1-3 day free game time promos they send out every now and then, but I was also bottlenecked by my 1070 at 1440p.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

36 minutes ago, t33to said:

Thanks in advance!

If anything, 4K should tax the CPU less, as it's not having to handle as many frames from the GPU. I think you're entirely GPU bottlenecked here, and things are slowing down simply because there's too many updates for the GPU to render efficiently. Smooth 4K gaming is still difficult to achieve even with a top of the line card. You can probably do a solid 60fps with a 2080 Ti but anything less is going to struggle to keep up. Ampere and RDNA2 may finally get over the hump, but true 4K gaming is still at its nascent stage right now.

I don't think it's always obvious just how much of a jump 4K is. You're talking about driving 4 times as many pixels as 1080p. That's huge. It's frankly amazing you're able to run your 980 at 4K at all, and it's probably only due to the fact that it's WoW. WoW is just not that graphically complex. I don't think it even has high resolution textures available anyway, and the models are frankly too primitive to really look any better at 4K.

4 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

Wow will always be CPU bottlenecked, like all open-world and MMO games due to how much they have to render in the open world and in raids.  The real problem is that WoW only uses 4 CPU threads, and only uses 1 core properly.  The other 3 sit at very low utilization while the 1 core is maxed out completely.

WoW's DX12 is also a only partial implementation but it does alleviate some of the draw call issues.  A 1070 or so will probably still work fine, but I haven't played WoW since I upgraded from a Intel i5-3570k to a Ryzen 7 3700x.  Well, I did login during one of their many 1-3 day free game time promos they send out every now and then, but I was also bottlenecked by my 1070 at 1440p.

I think you mean GPU bottlenecked? I mean it is CPU heavy, or at least more CPU heavy than many games, but you went on to basically explain why a better CPU won't actually do much for you. That's the opposite of being bottlenecked.

2 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

I don't think it's always obvious just how much of a jump 4K is. You're talking about driving 4 times as many pixels as 1080p. That's huge. It's frankly amazing you're able to run your 980 at 4K at all, and it's probably only due to the fact that it's WoW. WoW is just not that graphically complex. I don't think it even has high resolution textures available anyway, and the models are frankly too primitive to really look any better at 4K.

I think you mean GPU bottlenecked? I mean it is CPU heavy, or at least more CPU heavy than many games, but you went on to basically explain why a better CPU won't actually do much for you. That's the opposite of being bottlenecked.

It auto assigns the game threads into 4 CPU threads, I have not tried forcing CPU affinity to 4 actual cores to see if there's any performance impact yet.  Yes, to a point there won't be CPU bottlenecks anymore, but just having HT threads for some reason gives way way more FPS.  I have done tests with a 3570k (4c 4t) vs a 4790k (4c 8t) non overclocked and the 4790k can at times be a lot of FPS higher in high density areas, although the game still only uses 4 cores which is weird.  We can stare at the same thing, same res and settings and the 4790k can be upwards of 20-30fps higher.

A 980 is definitely getting a bit long in the tooth even for WoW, especially at 4k.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Wow can tax GPU but generally when fps takes a shit it's CPU issues. That said, 4K is a tall order for a 980.

Make sure you have dual channel RAM and you aren't CPU throttling.

Also, play on 7 with some relaxed settings.

Not much of a visual difference and your performance takes a hit.

I would say for WoW, and 4k, and with a 6700, you can get away with something like a 5700xt or 2070 super and still gain most of the performance out of it.

Just know that if you upgrade, when FPS takes a shit in raids and stuff, its mostly your CPU.

My System: i7-8700k 5.0ghz All-core delidded @1.375v // Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi // Gigabyte Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 // 32GB (4x8) Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 // XFX Radeon RX 5700 XT RAW II // Corsair 275R Airflow // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w // Intel 660P 1TB NVME M.2 SSD/1TB Samsung 860 EVO/512GB Silicon Power A55/1TB 2.5" HGST HDD/2TB Seagate Barracuda // Displays: AOC AGON AG241QX/Lenovo L24Q-30/Lenovo L24Q-30 // Razer Black Widow TE Chroma - Logitech G502 // Corsair H70 Gaming Headset

Wife's System: i7-8700 // Arctic Freezer 33 // Gigabyte Z390M Gaming // 16GB (2x8) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 // Sapphire Vega 64 // NZXT S340 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w // 1TB Samsung 860 EVO/4TB Western Digital HDD // Displays: ASUS VG248QE/ASUS VG245H/ASUS VP248Q // Corsair K68 Mechanical Keyboard // Logitech G602 // LG BDRW // NexStar 5.25" USB 3 Enclosure

TV Gamer: Ryzen 5 1600 3.9ghz All-core @1.39v // Wraith PRISM // Gigabyte B450 Aorus M // 16GB (2x8) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 // XFX Radeon RX 580 8GB XXX Edition // Thermaltake Versa H17 // Corsair Vengeance Silver 650W // 120GB Sandisk SSD/120GB PNY CS900/4TB Western Digital Blue // Display: 50" Westinghouse 1080p // Rii Wireless Mini Keyboard w/Touchpad/Xbox One Controllers

Son's System: i5-9400 // Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi // ASRock Z370 Extreme 4 // 16GB GeIL Potenza DDR 3200 // ASUS RX 570 4GB OC // NZXT S340 Black // Seasonic S12II 620w Bronze // 525GB Crucial MX300/500GB Wester Digital Blue // Display: Dell P2417H - Eagletech KG010 Mechanical Keyboard // Logitech G203

Daughter's System: i3-8350k // Cooler Master i71c // MSI H310M Pro VDH-Plus // 16GB T-Force Vulkan 2666 (2400) // Zotac GTX 1060 3GB Mini // DarkFlash Micro ATX White // Corsair CX550 // 480GB PNY CS1311 SSD // Display: Scepter 20" 1080p - Logitech Keyboard and Mouse

1 hour ago, Samfisher said:

It auto assigns the game threads into 4 CPU threads, I have not tried forcing CPU affinity to 4 actual cores to see if there's any performance impact yet.  Yes, to a point there won't be CPU bottlenecks anymore, but just having HT threads for some reason gives way way more FPS.  I have done tests with a 3570k (4c 4t) vs a 4790k (4c 8t) non overclocked and the 4790k can at times be a lot of FPS higher in high density areas, although the game still only uses 4 cores which is weird.  We can stare at the same thing, same res and settings and the 4790k can be upwards of 20-30fps higher.

A 980 is definitely getting a bit long in the tooth even for WoW, especially at 4k.

It's a bit of idiosyncrasy from the programming side. You can parallel program on 4 cores still pretty manually, but you have to change the entire way the app code works to reasonably utilize more cores.

You can see this play out in many different games. If the game scales the more cores/threads you throw at it, that means the devs are using a more optimized parallelization API, where you're basically just scheduling work and letting the OS decide where to run it. If it stops scaling at 4 cores, that means that they pretty much stuck with their original single-core code and just manually offloaded some tasks to additional threads.