Msi X370 Carbon wont let me overclock

Go to solution Solved by JESUS IS LORD,
On 7/24/2020 at 3:53 AM, For Science! said:

You are hiding information, this is so stupid. As an "experience overclocker" you should know that overclock stability is widely inflluened by the motherboard. You have been using this with Some B450, X370 Asrock, and now X370 MSI. I assume that it is just not playing nicely with this board, and that is the end of the story. 

If you are going to stubbornly maintain that "everything is normal", then as an  "experienced overclocker" you should also be aware that siilicon and chips can be degraded and so that would mean you have just degraded   your components to an e xtent that they cannot hold their OC anymore and that you are SOL.

I am at 3.9 ghz with temps in the 30's .... i have something going on that's not right with my either cpu or Ram.... 

Mobo: Msi Carbon Pro x370 Gaming

CPU : Ryzen 7 1700

Ram : Geil Super Luce RGB 32 gb Kit 

So I am getting a weird issue.. I set my overclock to 3.8ghz on the Cpu and 3000Mhz Ram .. It worked fine and now my computer refuses to boot if any overclock is applied and I get 15.9 usable out of 32gb.

So my issue is I got the overclock to work and the 15.9gb usable went to 32gb usable... I turned it on today and it would not post with any overclocks to the CPU or ram applied and i have 15.9 gb usable.. Reseating my cpu fixed this before which was like 2 weeks ago...  

3000 mhz and 1.35 which is what it was set to ... i manually imputed the 16-18-18-18-36 ... tried xmp no luck either and xmp auto sets everything .. experienced overclocker... I have had this chip at 4.0 ghz and 3000mhz ram 

The base clock is 3.0Ghz. Even 3.8 is a fairly extreme overclock, especially considering the boost clock is only 3.7. Original Zen had a fair amount of headroom for OC, but I think you pushed it too far. It's not abnormal for an extreme OC to not be maintainable long term.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

the cpu overclock is normal .. nothing to bad .. it was running 3.95 regularly.. recently ive only been running it at 3.8ghz ... I do not think the cpu is the issue

4 hours ago, JESUS IS LORD said:

the cpu overclock is normal .. nothing to bad .. it was running 3.95 regularly.. recently ive only been running it at 3.8ghz ... I do not think the cpu is the issue

You are hiding information, this is so stupid. As an "experience overclocker" you should know that overclock stability is widely inflluened by the motherboard. You have been using this with Some B450, X370 Asrock, and now X370 MSI. I assume that it is just not playing nicely with this board, and that is the end of the story. 

If you are going to stubbornly maintain that "everything is normal", then as an  "experienced overclocker" you should also be aware that siilicon and chips can be degraded and so that would mean you have just degraded   your components to an e xtent that they cannot hold their OC anymore and that you are SOL.

Hello,

by steps, I have the same board and also had the same issue in the past

1 - Keep bios updated with latest version, realy helps 

2 - Remove Cmos Bat and wait like 10 min, go make a cafe and relax a bit 

3 - Swap the memory from slots not mixing the sticks 

4 - On mine before I swaped to a 3900x I was running a 1600 with 4ghz oc, what I do is put the multi to whatever and then go to the ram turn on xpm, without issues. On my 3900x im running 2666mhz ram at 3200mhz cl16 4 sticks

Good luck

On 7/24/2020 at 3:53 AM, For Science! said:

I am at 3.9 ghz with temps in the 30's .... i have something going on that's not right with my either cpu or Ram.... 

On 7/24/2020 at 4:36 AM, Xkillerpn said:

Hello,

by steps, I have the same board and also had the same issue in the past

1 - Keep bios updated with latest version, realy helps 

2 - Remove Cmos Bat and wait like 10 min, go make a cafe and relax a bit 

3 - Swap the memory from slots not mixing the sticks 

4 - On mine before I swaped to a 3900x I was running a 1600 with 4ghz oc, what I do is put the multi to whatever and then go to the ram turn on xpm, without issues. On my 3900x im running 2666mhz ram at 3200mhz cl16 4 sticks

Good luck

So it took 3.8ghz and 3000 mhz on the ram and then it sat for a day and would not hold it and would not post ... ANY overclocking on the Ram and the system will not post and windows is only giving me 15.9 out of 32gb Available... But on the bright side of things I did gain from 3.8 to 3.9ghz on the cpu and it is letting me overclock the cpu .... need to fix this ram issue ... 

I solved this prior by

removing 1 stick of ram and it gave me 24 gb of ram but it let me OC to 3000mhz 

reseating the cpu  

I sent 2 of the 4 sticks for Replacement as i had one stick acting funny, by swapping them slot by slot as you mentioned, maybe i need to send the other two ...lifetime warranty on RAM LOLLLLLLL'S

Bios is fully updated : Latest ... Which they had a more "GAMERY" bios and when you update it, it looks like a plain jane bios = fail , but it said in the comments of the bios better overclocking support .. that was a lie in my case :) 

7 minutes ago, JESUS IS LORD said:

fyi the Asus Rog Strix b450 : Bios Update failed , sold a 130$ board for $40 on craigslist and the guy fixed the bios and has a working board.. Then I bought the same board again .. Then realized I wanted to do SLI and that Strix b450 would not do SLI and so I got the Taichi x370 Which was a good board ... I do not remember why that one failed ?? but i was able to return it .. got it on ebay... Then I got the board which I have now which is my least favorite so far ... I liked the Strix b450 alot!!!! but it did not do SLI

26 minutes ago, JESUS IS LORD said:

I liked the Strix b450 alot

Then you probably aren’t an experienced ocer considering that board has sh*t vrms and is overpriced. 

i got it for a good deal ... I just needed a board that supported 2 nvme drives and Sli. I am not doing serious 4.2ghz overclocking or anything ... Back to the point at hand .... I need to fix my PC ... If anyone knows how to solve the problem, please share ..  

What makes you think that any overclock is guaranteed at all? Just overclock your CPU normally. First find out what the maximum stable frequency is on THIS BOARD (I don't care what you got on any other board) while keeping the temperatures. And then find out what is the maximum stable memory frequency. You can use Ryzen DRAM calculator to help you out since this is Zen1.

But overall I do not thin anything is broken and therefore there is nothing to "fix", perhaps apart from your expectations and skill level.

On 7/25/2020 at 4:05 PM, For Science! said:

What makes you think that any overclock is guaranteed at all? Just overclock your CPU normally. First find out what the maximum stable frequency is on THIS BOARD (I don't care what you got on any other board) while keeping the temperatures. And then find out what is the maximum stable memory frequency. You can use Ryzen DRAM calculator to help you out since this is Zen1.

But overall I do not thin anything is broken and therefore there is nothing to "fix", perhaps apart from your expectations and skill level.

so here is the issue .. i for sure have one bad stick of ram ... so i will send that back .... when i go install two sticks it will not post ...  three of my four posted in single channel one stick.... 

so process of elimination is

a bad cpu mount : which is what solved it before  : a known "RYZEN" specific issue 

a bad ram slot on my motherboard either dimm 1 or dimm 3 : dual channel will not post 

Cpu related issue 

Going to start by getting two fresh sticks of ram, by RMAing the one that is bad, but they require me to send two sticks.. 

as of right now, I have one 8gb stick in single channel running at 3000mhz and my CPU at 3.9ghz 

I did the CPU with no ram overclock and then tested each stick one by one in dimm slot4 which is where it needs to be for single channel ... I checked the manual for which sticks go where for single and dual channel .... with no overclock , all four sticks will not run ... could not get 2 or 3 working either ...  

26 minutes ago, JESUS IS LORD said:

so here is the issue .. i for sure have one bad stick of ram ... so i will send that back .... when i go install two sticks it will not post ...  three of my four posted in single channel one stick.... 

so process of elimination is

a bad cpu mount : which is what solved it before  : a known "RYZEN" specific issue 

a bad ram slot on my motherboard either dimm 1 or dimm 3 : dual channel will not post 

Cpu related issue 

Going to start by getting two fresh sticks of ram, by RMAing the one that is bad, but they require me to send two sticks.. 

as of right now, I have one 8gb stick in single channel running at 3000mhz and my CPU at 3.9ghz 

I did the CPU with no ram overclock and then tested each stick one by one in dimm slot4 which is where it needs to be for single channel ... I checked the manual for which sticks go where for single and dual channel .... with no overclock , all four sticks will not run ... could not get 2 or 3 working either ...  

You haven't described your situation in a coherent enough manner for me to understand, but I think you are fixated with your ideas anyway so me trying to understand is futile. I would put my bets on the fact that your RMAed RAM sticks will not "fix" the issue, but maybe you are luckier than I think you are.

Did you finish your hardline runs by the way? still anxiously waiting for an update on that.

40 minutes ago, For Science! said:

You haven't described your situation in a coherent enough manner for me to understand, but I think you are fixated with your ideas anyway so me trying to understand is futile. I would put my bets on the fact that your RMAed RAM sticks will not "fix" the issue, but maybe you are luckier than I think you are.

Did you finish your hardline runs by the way? still anxiously waiting for an update on that.

So my board is just being weird !!! its works then it doesn't??? i currently have 2 sticks 16gb in at 3000mhz and cpu at 3.9ghz... 

i am waiting on fittings to come in and i have the tubing already...

need fittings and 90, 45, and 180 degree bender tools i ordered ... i ordered everything from China to save money .... so it takes alot longer ... I waited about 3 months for four 90 fittings off ali express... Good thing about fittings is there is not alot there .. its basically orings that cause it to work or fail and as long as the orings are good it should be fine ... I look at how does it work and why and then determine what to buy .... my modded fittings that i made, soft tube to hard tube fittings, 10 are still in my system and leak free... the ones that leaked were missing an o-ring, because home depot ran out of them at the time .... 

I got 

BARROW BENDING TOOL

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Od-16Mm-Barrow-Acrylic-Pmma-Petg-Hard-Pipe-Bending-Mould-Kit-For-Tube-Comp-O5M4/254590924174?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

16 mm Tubing from Thermaltake 1000 mm so they will be long enough for my bends 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Thermaltake-V-Tubler-PETG-Tube-16mm-5-8-OD-1000mm-4-pack/124163833431?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

The proper silcone insert 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Silicon-Insert-Thermaltake-OD-16mm-X-ID-12mm-For-ID-12mm-1-2-PETG-Hard-Tube/184297869509?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

These fittings in White ... Which He charged me less on because i originally wanted cheaper ones and He was out of them so I got 20 Fittings for $45 in stead of $60 ... I check and it would have been around $100 for 20 in USA 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-PCS-New-16MM-G1-4-coupling-fitting-OD-16MM-Rigid-tubing-water-cooling-Black/264783868553?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

ON THE BRIGHT SIDE ... I am getting good temps with my PC in front of an A/C ... This just on idle but still for a loop with 2 GPU'S  OVERCLOCKED 220 core clock and 520 on the memory both GTX 1070'S and CPU 3.9ghz. One Gpu is about 2 to 3 degrees hotter than the other which is not bad.. 2 x 360mm rads ... barrow cpu block with RGB!!! I managed to fix two fans that were damaged.. two of the wires got torn out some how .. they are good fans and the RGB still worked so I fixed them over the weekend with a staple and sauder   

IMG_20200726_221857.jpg

FINISHED MY LOOP and my pc wont power on ... might of gotten water on something... motherboard probably, going to test it after work 

4 minutes ago, JESUS IS LORD said:

FINISHED MY LOOP and my pc wont power on ... might of gotten water on something... motherboard probably, going to test it after work 

Very experienced at a lot of things here....Hmmm 🤔

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

32 minutes ago, JESUS IS LORD said:

Looking... forward... to... pictures....

On 7/31/2020 at 9:14 AM, For Science! said:

Looking... forward... to... pictures....

bad power plug ... plugged it in a different outlet and it was good to go .... had some tubes that did not want to stay in but i used a little super glue and then put it and now it is solid .. its not coming back out, but i do not think i will have need of taking it out