All-Cardboard Case Challenge!

CPotter

Should've used Noctua fans smh

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

is it me or the video feels like the judging phase has front part skipped, near 16:20-ish suddenly giving final scores without them inspecting

edit: i guess it does have a few second clip of showing them inspecting, felt rushed though

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

well cardboard

get a yeezys shoebox with a diamond necklace; that should keep it cool. why you ask?

ICE. I GOT THAT ICE.

😕

Colton, remember that time you parked tarans car like 1/2 a mile away? Yall should do more pranks, it's very entertaining. 

The moment they decided NOT to go the 'origami' route, they lost.

its a case, build a box, cut a hole in it and mount stuff. done.

Personally i would have built a horizontal desktop case, like the old Dell Insperon PCs. That way u dont have to worry about balancing things like the GPU.

All in all a fun little vid good job ! :)

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

Building a case out of cardboard is an interesting idea for a challenge.
Though, 3 hours isn't a lot of time to be fair...

The decision to forbid tape is though something that I consider novel and honestly something that would force one to be a bit more creative.
Over all, I would say that Linus and Jake had the better idea of how to make the case.

Now the question is, if given more time, and an aluminium sheet or two (and ability to source other materials like mesh/glass), would we be able to see a competent case be made?
Preferably with enough time for it to not be a rush, but rather a full on design challenge. Where each side have time to first of all plan, and then also build.
Maybe fly in Steve, to make it a GN vs LTT themed challenge. (Can have the design phase of the challenge done before flying them in, lower hotel costs per say. (Though I guess Steve would just take the opportunity to go to Whistler again regardless.... So maybe worth doing next year.))

edit:
Now I am also curious to how the winning case here would perform if Steve did a thermal test on it... It's a cardboard origami case, so shouldn't be too hard to ship would it?

58 minutes ago, CPotter said:

But is it ok to do it though? Like I would build this just need a guide on how to.

Like heat is deff a factor but you guys made 2 cases lol. 

Literally the first thing to pop into my mind when they said "no tape!" as a rule was...."Zip-ties! Rules didn't say anything about those!" The second one was "hot glue!" These guys sure aren't particularly imaginative.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

So, was it a rule that their case had to have a "conventional" layout?

Because they could've had the PC laying down the entire time and use the weight has the tie-down. and simply have the fan screws as the top panel hold down

Intel i7 10700 || 64GB Kingston Predator RGB || Asus H470i Strix || MSI RX 6700XT Merc X2 OC || Corsair MP600 500GB ||  WD Blue SN550 1TB || 500GB Samsung 860 EVO || EVGA 550 GM || EK-Classic 115X aRGB CPU block - Corsair XR5 240mm RAD - Alphacool GPU Block - DarkSide 240mm external rad || Lian Li Q58 || 2x Cooler Master ARGB 120MM + 2x Noctua  Redux 1700RPM 120MM 

Why don't you guys do a proper CAD backed case design out of cardboard and release it as an open source thing? So anyone with enough cardboard could cut pieces to spec and assemble it? I mean in a proper perfectly fitting together with glued, double side tapped way with window or without which ends up being user's choice in the end, with proper structural integrity and support and all that?

Just make sure you use the most common possible materials that people can have at home and not some exotic stuff that's hard to find or expensive coz that would defeat the purpose of such thing.

52 minutes ago, moisessnipes said:

But is it ok to do it though? Like I would build this just need a guide on how to.

Like heat is deff a factor but you guys made 2 cases lol. 

It's not safe, but it isn't "unsafe" per say. Cardboard is a low-voltage insulator, but if something would catch on fire, it wouldn't hold the fire inside the PC, like a metal case would.

Intel i7 10700 || 64GB Kingston Predator RGB || Asus H470i Strix || MSI RX 6700XT Merc X2 OC || Corsair MP600 500GB ||  WD Blue SN550 1TB || 500GB Samsung 860 EVO || EVGA 550 GM || EK-Classic 115X aRGB CPU block - Corsair XR5 240mm RAD - Alphacool GPU Block - DarkSide 240mm external rad || Lian Li Q58 || 2x Cooler Master ARGB 120MM + 2x Noctua  Redux 1700RPM 120MM 

I would've been more interested, if they'd been given, say, a whole day to work on the cardboard-cases and been allowed to use tape and such. You know, been allowed to actually try and create the best cardboard-case they can -- obviously, no reinforcing it with plastic or metal or such -- and show off what they can really do.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Frankly, the time limit ruined the whole video. Instead of 'We designed a few cardboard cases, here's what we found worked and didn't', we got a bunch of tv-esque pseudodrama and two rushed and unusable cases

1 hour ago, Kevo05s said:

It's not safe, but it isn't "unsafe" per say. Cardboard is a low-voltage insulator, but if something would catch on fire, it wouldn't hold the fire inside the PC, like a metal case would.

Given the amount of openings in that metal case, it won't hold a fire inside, period. Having said that, cardboard is a quick burn, so once it's burned up, there's no more fuel for the fire ;)

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

2 hours ago, Dutch_Master said:

Given the amount of openings in that metal case, it won't hold a fire inside, period. Having said that, cardboard is a quick burn, so once it's burned up, there's no more fuel for the fire ;)

Cardboard is a great starter and if your desk, floor or anything near the case can catch fire after the quick burn (a raised basement/wood/carpet floor, or particle wood table) all you need is that initial start. A metal case would more or less prevent that as the case it self can't catch fire less the plastic parts that are more likely to melt than go ablaze.

Haha. Did this like 10 years ago. But with a shoe box and lower power AMD E-350 Zacate with Radeon 6310 iGpu!! 

Totally cool rig. Loved this one! Modder's paradise :D

51 minutes ago, XorArch said:

Not made in so little time but mostly cardboard star trek themed custom case none the less.

Currently gathering hardware for another upgrade

65577.jpg

What's next a Borg Sphere version? 

This actually looks like a good idea if someone wants to put together a system that only needs to be temporary.  My biggest worry would be heat because cardboard is a good insulator. 

HI,

I currently work in the middle east (not a nice area of the middle east either) and I had a laptop with me but it overheats like crazy in the summer months. This seriously affected gaming performance... unacceptable. the local shop we have only sells some extremely overpriced laptops (that are worse than what i have) AND I am unable to have computers or laptops shipped out to me due to various restrictions. Components however are availble to be delivered. To keep cost down as much as possible i built my computer into a cardboard box, Aesthetics are second to package size as i would need to ship this thing back with me when i fly home.

Here are the spec's :

Intel I3-9100f, Asrock B365m-itx Motherboard, 16gb ddr4 3200 memory (vengeance brand i think), 1TB m.2 SSD, GTX 1650S single Fan, 500W PSU, 4 cheap case fans, 1 cheap CPU cooler.

the motherboard is secured on a base of Acrylic that i found discarded, i used that to add strength and weight to the base of the box, i then used very thin MDF to line 3 sides of the box to add a bit of strength but i taped the PSU, GPU and fans to the respective sides to increase strength overall. Finally, the cable management is used to create some kind of directed air-flow. there are 2 inlet fans on the back and 2 exhaust fans on the top. the exhausts are also directly above the GPU aiding in the cooling.

Headphones to illustrate a closed box. The IO panel i bent by accident so i threw it away. total build cost was roughly $500 US and it runs all of my games on max GFX (i dont currently play AAA titles).

always enjoy feedback... rip into my montrosity.

cardPC1.jpg

cardPC2.jpg

cardPC3.jpg

cardPC4.jpg

cardPC5.jpgfans on top are 90mm for scale.

Edited by kristian663
added a touch more information

You'd better not beat me to the 3D printed case, mine is nearly done.

3D_printed_Case.jpg

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

12 hours ago, Egg-Roll said:

Cardboard is a great starter and if your desk, floor or anything near the case can catch fire after the quick burn (a raised basement/wood/carpet floor, or particle wood table) all you need is that initial start. A metal case would more or less prevent that as the case it self can't catch fire less the plastic parts that are more likely to melt than go ablaze.

You do realize you're actually contradicting yourself here? If the surroundings of a metal case are that easy to ignite, a longer duration fire inside the metal case only raises the ignition risk, by a significant margin. Yes, the plastic parts will melt, but they're oil-based products so eventually, they burn. Which-ever way, it leaves even more holes in the metal case, where the fire can get out of it. And ignite the surroundings you've described.

PS: contrary to popular beliefs, metal can burn. Search the web for thermite welding videos. Fire extinguishers are classed according to their properties, one is Class D, including metal fires.

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

They should have just designed it in CAD and laser cut it. Most FabLabs and maker spaces have laser cutters, so it would have been something majority of the enthusiasts can repeat

Please tag me @RTX 3090 so I can see your reply