Sapphire R9 290 Tri-x hung the system Randomly ?

crazychenski

Just Wonder if anyone can help here.

I retro fit a Dell Precision T3500 for my daughter with new CPU, PSU and added my hold GPU Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X 4gb. A new fresh Window 10 is installed as well, so it is a clean machine from the get go.

However, recently my daughter told me when she actively using the PC to game or any others apps nothing will happen. But if the PC is sit in idle for awhile, it might randomly hung the system and black screen without any warning. Sometimes it will not crash for a day, sometimes it will crashes 2-3 times. I checked Event Log, I can see anything that may causes the crashes.

I made some research and I first thought it was caused by RAMs, so I swapped out the RAM using my system's rams (as my system doesn't have that problem). Problem persist. Then I thought it may be the unreliable PSU due to the R9 290 are power hungry, so I swapped her 750W Thermatik LitePower out to a Corsair CX650M 650W modular PSU, to ensure 2x different rail supply the power it needs for the R9 290. But system crashes still happening....

So I am abit out of my depth, hope someone out there may have similar problem before and know what might be the case..... As I have strong feeling that it is the GPU issue ( am browsing eBay atm for a 2nd GPU to replace the R9 290).....

Thanks in advance !

System Spec:

Dell Precision T3500

CPU: Xeon W3680

RAM: 8GB DDR3 12800

GPU: Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X 4gb 

PSU Corsair CX650M 650W modular

HDD : 1x 240gb WD Green SSD, 1x 1TB WD Blue 7500rpm SATA

Get rx 580 It goes for almost same price and needs 2x less power.

Btw I ahd same problem and fault was in USB ports, would crash after 30 min or so.

22 minutes ago, crazychenski said:

Just Wonder if anyone can help here.

I retro fit a Dell Precision T3500 for my daughter with new CPU, PSU and added my hold GPU Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X 4gb. A new fresh Window 10 is installed as well, so it is a clean machine from the get go.

However, recently my daughter told me when she actively using the PC to game or any others apps nothing will happen. But if the PC is sit in idle for awhile, it might randomly hung the system and black screen without any warning. Sometimes it will not crash for a day, sometimes it will crashes 2-3 times. I checked Event Log, I can see anything that may causes the crashes.

I made some research and I first thought it was caused by RAMs, so I swapped out the RAM using my system's rams (as my system doesn't have that problem). Problem persist. Then I thought it may be the unreliable PSU due to the R9 290 are power hungry, so I swapped her 750W Thermatik LitePower out to a Corsair CX650M 650W modular PSU, to ensure 2x different rail supply the power it needs for the R9 290. But system crashes still happening....

So I am abit out of my depth, hope someone out there may have similar problem before and know what might be the case..... As I have strong feeling that it is the GPU issue ( am browsing eBay atm for a 2nd GPU to replace the R9 290).....

Thanks in advance !

System Spec:

Dell Precision T3500

CPU: Xeon W3680

RAM: 8GB DDR3 12800

GPU: Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X 4gb 

PSU Corsair CX650M 650W modular

HDD : 1x 240gb WD Green SSD, 1x 1TB WD Blue 7500rpm SATA

Sometimes if you are having hanging issues something I would try is to downclock and undervolt the gpu and/or other components if possible. If it still hangs then you might want to try something else.

13 hours ago, Likwid said:

Get rx 580 It goes for almost same price and needs 2x less power.

Btw I ahd same problem and fault was in USB ports, would crash after 30 min or so.

Mmm interesting. might have to look into USB port.... thanks !

13 hours ago, Dimondminer11 said:

Sometimes if you are having hanging issues something I would try is to downclock and undervolt the gpu and/or other components if possible. If it still hangs then you might want to try something else.

Thanks. I might give that a go and see if still happening.

I might try swap my RX 580 into her machine and put her R9 290 into mine to see if that fix her problem and duplicate the same problem of R9 290 on my machine........

12 hours ago, Likwid said:

@crazychenski Did swapping GPU help?

Sorry, haven't try it yet. 

I live in Victoria, Australia where we are in stage 3 lockdown, and kids are remote learning form home. So didn't want to interrupt my daughter's studying.

Will try that this weekend...

• 2 weeks later...

A little bit of update......

Managed to score a RX 570 8gb and installed into the machine. No crashes for 2 days... so sort of confirm the GPU is causing the crashes in my daughter's machine. Might place that into my machine to run a few to double confirm that is the case.