Loading Video Codecs onto a Blu Ray Player

Does anyone know whether it's possible to connect a Sony Blu Ray player to a computer, for the purpose of loading a video codec pack onto the Blu Ray Player? I have the K-Lite pack on my computer, and it allows me to watch all downloads. Sony Blu Ray players can read some types of video files, but they can't read WMV, DivX, or AVI. I have an external hard drive connected to my Blu Ray player, which is connected to my TV. I can play most downloaded files on my TV this way, but about 30% can't be read by the Blu Ray player.

26 minutes ago, Gateway1969 said:

Does anyone know whether it's possible to connect a Sony Blu Ray player to a computer, for the purpose of loading a video codec pack onto the Blu Ray Player? I have the K-Lite pack on my computer, and it allows me to watch all downloads. Sony Blu Ray players can read some types of video files, but they can't read WMV, DivX, or AVI. I have an external hard drive connected to my Blu Ray player, which is connected to my TV. I can play most downloaded files on my TV this way, but about 30% can't be read by the Blu Ray player.

To the best of my knowledge from 10+ years of technology experience, no. Most DVD & BluRay players run dumbed down bare bones Java based OS that only allow signed updates from the manufacturer to be installed. Otherwise it'd be too easy for someone to modify the HDMI output to allow unprotected video output over HDMI, which they could then copy without the use of an HDMI splitter that strips the protection.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

On 7/22/2020 at 12:05 AM, Gateway1969 said:

First things first, don't use DivX anymore, or AVI for that matter. If you have either of these files, you should probably transcode them to H.264 or H.265.

Second, if MKV doesn't work, just convert the file to MP4 instead?

Third, check to see if there's a Firmware update from Sony for your Blu-Ray player. It's unlikely that a firmware update would introduce MKV compatibility though. MKV was pretty niche for a long time, and is still largely an enthusiast file. MP4 is way more widely compatible with consumer devices.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Thanks dalekphalm and kirashi. There have been firmware updates from Sony, but none have dealt with compatibility issues. I now have a video converter program that works well, but I have thousands of files to convert, so it will be time consuming. Many of my media files are from the early part of last decade, so I have lots of AVI, DivX, and MKV files. Sony Blu Ray players can play MKV files, which helps.

13 hours ago, Gateway1969 said:

Thanks dalekphalm and kirashi. There have been firmware updates from Sony, but none have dealt with compatibility issues. I now have a video converter program that works well, but I have thousands of files to convert, so it will be time consuming. Many of my media files are from the early part of last decade, so I have lots of AVI, DivX, and MKV files. Sony Blu Ray players can play MKV files, which helps.

If you want to play these files directly on the device, there's no easy way to do it - you'll have to transcode them all.

However, to make it suck a little less, you can use batch encoding - batch encoding means you setup your settings the way you'd like, and then you add each file into a queue. Make the queue as long as you want (storage constraints aside).

Then you start the queue, and it will encode all the files, one after the other, until it's finished.

Handbrake supports this, as do numerous other transcoding programs.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)