Geforce 1060 overclock questions -Please as many people who has overclocked answer

Tomos Watts

So I have had my computer for awhile and after doing a bit of research I have decided to overclock my card. couple of questions

1.I have a standerd GeForce 1060 6gb not the brand ones. Is that still fine for overclocking? Even if I dont have a fan

2.I have done some research and testing and have decided to put the core clock at 185mhz and the memory at 450. Just to get a personal opinions though is that fine?

3.After the overclock my max temps go up to 92 is that bad?

4.I have heard that overclock will significantly decrease the lifespan of a pc. Is that true?

thanks for all the answers and reassuring  me  

2 minutes ago, Tomos Watts said:

.I have a standerd GeForce 1060 6gb not the brand ones. Is that still fine for overclocking? Even if I dont have a fan

The standard card is a "Founder's Edition", you can overclock it however other cards are usually better as they have better cooling and power delivery, Im not sure what you mean you dont have a fan, unless you mean case fan?

4 minutes ago, Tomos Watts said:

2.I have done some research and testing and have decided to put the core clock at 185mhz and the memory at 450. Just to get a personal opinions though is that fine?

Do you mean adding +185mhz to clock and +450 to memory? You wont be able to "set" them to 185 and 450, you can try it but an overclock on one card wont always work on another and if you outright add those it might cause issues, you will have to try a lower overclock (Say 50/100 on both) and stress test the card, use something like furmark3d or 3dmark timespy, or any sort of gpu stress test

Once you are sure that 50 on both is working fine, add 50 to the core, run again, add 50 to memory, run again, its all trial and error for tweaking

Follow something like this

6 minutes ago, Tomos Watts said:

3.After the overclock my max temps go up to 92 is that bad?

92c looks like the temp limit for a 1060, if you hit this your card will start to underclock or throttle itself to keep itself safe

This video has lots of info on built in thermal protection on the cards

9 minutes ago, Tomos Watts said:

4.I have heard that overclock will significantly decrease the lifespan of a pc. Is that true?

Yes, however with everything, it depends, It may not "significantly" decrease your pcs lifespan, but the card running hotter and faster will increase the risk of failure, usually relating to thermal paste or power delivery, you should be fine with what you are looking to do however

CPU: i5-4690k @ 4.4 GHz | RAM: 12GB DDR3 1333MHz | GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 580 4GB 

Just now, DakotaWebber said:

The standard card is a "Founder's Edition", you can overclock it however other cards are usually better as they have better cooling and power delivery, Im not sure what you mean you dont have a fan, unless you mean case fan?

Do you mean adding +185mhz to clock and +450 to memory? You wont be able to "set" them to 185 and 450, you can try it but an overclock on one card wont always work on another and if you outright add those it might cause issues, you will have to try a lower overclock (Say 50/100 on both) and stress test the card, use something like furmark3d or 3dmark timespy, or any sort of gpu stress test

Once you are sure that 50 on both is working fine, add 50 to the core, run again, add 50 to memory, run again, its all trial and error for tweaking

Follow something like this

92c looks like the temp limit for a 1060, if you hit this your card will start to underclock or throttle itself to keep itself safe

This video has lots of info on built in thermal protection on the cards

Yes, however with everything, it depends, It may not "significantly" decrease your pcs lifespan, but the card running hotter and faster will increase the risk of failure, usually relating to thermal paste or power delivery, you should be fine with what you are looking to do however

Thermal paste and power delivery isn't what is massively affected from overclocking. Modern cards have enough VRM protection to be sure the VRM doesn't up and die. And thermal paste is literally a consumable. The physical silicon degrades faster through electromigration and silicon oxide breakdown which are induced by higher current and temperatures, and voltage and temperatures respectively.

8700K @ 5.2ghz 1.29V, 4x8 Rev.E @ 4040 13-20-20-39 1.7V.