No Good Platform Goes Un-Monetized - Sony wants to bring Ads to VR

rcmaehl

Summary:

Sony wants to bring ads to VR. A proposed patent shows various options for displaying ads over the VR environment, including in peripheral and

Media:

adf41c8c-8183-426c-b063-cdd2b3a9e8be-screen-shot-2020-07-01-at-125955-pm.png?w=349&h=362.6735074626866&auto=format%2Ccompress&cs=srgb&q=70&fit=max&crop=faces

Quotes

The future of VR could be loaded with a new kind of advertisement that seems utterly obtrusive. Sony was granted a patent...on June 25 for various ways to present advertisements within...virtual reality. “One possibility as a new marketing technique associated with widespread use of HMDs would be to display additional content such as advertisements in a VR space or an AR space. Techniques for effectively presenting such additional content in a VR space or an AR space have yet to be sufficiently proposed.” Sony proposed various ways to overlay ad imagery over games, each of which were far from subtle. All of them are essentially popups that would appear in a users’ field of view. One example even shows ad imagery surrounding a user’s peripheral vision.

The way advertisements will be displayed depends on the position of the user's head within the head-mounted display and their line of sight. The patent describes the advertisements as "additional content" for "promoting recognition of a given thing or service." One example used in the text is of the user watching a concert with a set of performers appearing at the same time. The technology claims to be able to "detect on which performer the user is focusing his or her attention and then change the advertisement in accordance with the performer of interest." It should be noted that patents are no guarantee of end results...

My thoughts:
This topic is a couple weeks old but I didn't see anyone catch it. Leaked footage of BeatSaber 2, featuring full body tracking:

The Annoying Side of the Internet - Kyle M. Perkins - Medium

In all seriousness, it was just a matter of time before this happens. Ideally ads will be implemented as in-game billboards or other non-intrusive methods. However, I'm aware there'll likely be a few companies or brands that try to push it who will get some very negative backlash. Regardless, you can expect the community to come up with ad blocking tech for VR just like they have for regular web browsing.

Sources:

IGN

Inverse

US Patent Office

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

Ads in VR! brought to you by the company who puts rootkits on your device to protect music.

Now they are turning your game into New York Times Square...

PC specs:

Ryzen 9 3900X overclocked to 4.3-4.4 GHz

Corsair H100i platinum

32 GB Trident Z RGB 3200 MHz 14-14-14-34

RTX 2060

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge wifi

NZXT H510

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

2 TB WD hard drive

Corsair RM 750 Watt

ASUS ROG PG248Q 

Razer Ornata Chroma

Razer Firefly 

Razer Deathadder 2013

Logitech G935 Wireless

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Ah yes of course, I too want to have my peripheral vision cut off with ads.

This is probably just a scheme to get a cut of the pie with a licensing agreement if someone eventually decides to put ads in VR. I'd be surprised if Sony actually does any of this.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

This will get massive backlash when people see ads on their hud. I cannot see this going well at all and probably adblock vr will be a thing really quickly.

Not really surprised. They build their own VR machines for much cheaper than the competition and they manufacture the machine it runs on.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

This will get massive backlash when people see ads on their hud. I cannot see this going well at all and probably adblock vr will be a thing really quickly.

How do you plan to do that on a games console?

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

There was this film called idiocracy at one point...

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

How do you plan to do that on a games console?

Would PiHole work?

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

1 minute ago, Shreyas1 said:

Would PiHole work?

I doubt it.  If you feed the adverts directly from Playstation Network then you could make it so that blocking the adverts, blocks PSN from functioning at all.

The reason adblocking works elsewhere is because its more diverse with ads being fed directly from various advert networks which you CAN block.  Even then, it can break functionality sometimes.

I guess it depends on how they implement it, If it actually makes the product cheaper, and theres a paid option to remove the ads, I see no issue

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

I'm surprised people still play on PSVR

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

9 minutes ago, Shreyas1 said:

I guess it depends on how they implement it, If it actually makes the product cheaper, and theres a paid option to remove the ads, I see no issue

I do.  Pay once I would take.  “Oh but you have to keep on paying to play something you already paid for” I wouldn’t.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Just now, Bombastinator said:

I do.  Pay once I would take.  “Oh but you have to keep on paying to play something you already paid for” I wouldn’t.

Fair enough. A subscription model would really suck

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

So, it's Sony next to try this.

HTC already tried and it failed a lot because community backslash, Valve hinted this and withdrew faster than anyone had time to even notice, Facebook... Well, Facebook is Facebook, I wouldn't be surprised if something ad related wasn't going in Oculus gear.

4 minutes ago, Beskamir said:

The more aggressive companies get with ads the more they incentivize blocking all ads.

Absolutely.  I have resisted using adblock for years to support websites and creators, but the way YouTube is going lately I've been sorely tempted.  I don't think it would be easy or necessarily possible to block adverts from a closed system like Playstation though.

45 minutes ago, Thaldor said:

So, it's Sony next to try this.

HTC already tried and it failed a lot because community backslash, Valve hinted this and withdrew faster than anyone had time to even notice, Facebook... Well, Facebook is Facebook, I wouldn't be surprised if something ad related wasn't going in Oculus gear.

My oculus gets mad at me because all facebook services get blocked. It still works just fine it's just kinda mad that it can't connect to facebook for data purposes.

33 minutes ago, jaslion said:

My oculus gets mad at me because all facebook services get blocked. It still works just fine it's just kinda mad that it can't connect to facebook for data purposes.

Kind of expected ever since Oculus became Facebook :D

So uh, more eyecancer. Thanks but no thanks. Sony can shove it truely madly deeply in their poopyhole.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

Hell no, ads that are non-intrusively integrated(like as posters and such) is fine i guess. But the likes that shown in the video linked by @Alex Atkin UK should be a criminal offense.....

2 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Absolutely.  I have resisted using adblock for years to support websites and creators, but the way YouTube is going lately I've been sorely tempted.  I don't think it would be easy or necessarily possible to block adverts from a closed system like Playstation though.

Well i guess jailbreaking a PS4 will be just as commonplace as adblock is.....

Edited by jagdtigger

Hahaha yeah ok they insta no buy or use anything like that. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

5 hours ago, jaslion said:

I'm thinking more along the lines of on Playstation you might have to block PSN, so you can't play online and you can't download/update your games.  Would be a real pita as you'd constantly have to turn it on and off and online VR games are of course a thing.  Plus they could easily make those games ONLY work if connected to PSN.