Elelmentary OS dosent boot into KDE

I installed KDE on my elementary OS machine using command line 

sudo tasksel install kubuntu-desktop

It prompted me to choose between the desktop environment. After I chose SDDM and rebooted it is stuck at the elementary os logo screen and refuses to boot into kde. I thought it was grabbing some configuration files so I left it like that overnight but it was still stuck at that screen when i checked today morning. is there a way for me to fix this? like choose the DE before it boots and change it to lightdm?

I believe if you hold down the left shift key this will display the boot options for grub. Their you can chose safemode. And that would boot the default build of elementary os. Alternatively you can press the exc key after post, otherwise this may bring you to a bios menu rather than a grub menu. Once in elementary open a terminal and enter "sudo systemctl enable lightdm"

Let me know if that helps any. I had something similar happen to me on Ubuntu. I believe this should work... Grain of salt.

Holding left shift dosen't work on my laptop and since my laptop is not that great (micromax laptab lt777) the bios is not well made. I cant even choose a usb to boot to reinstall the os cause the bios dosent recognize the usb drive as bootable. It was cheap and old. I'll try a few other things and if it dosent work ill just scrap the laptop. Thanks for the suggestion tho. really appreciate it!

5 minutes ago, Shalmon said:

Holding left shift dosen't work on my laptop and since my laptop is not that great (micromax laptab lt777) the bios is not well made. I cant even choose a usb to boot to reinstall the os cause the bios dosent recognize the usb drive as bootable. It was cheap and old. I'll try a few other things and if it dosent work ill just scrap the laptop. Thanks for the suggestion tho. really appreciate it!

If a reinstall is not out of the question you could try this

https://askubuntu.com/questions/995747/install-ubuntu-on-the-hard-drive-of-a-2nd-computer-then-move-that-drive-to-a-di

They obviously could be problems by installing it on another PC and moving the drive over but it may be you're best bet that I see. Someone else may come by with a better solution that this but its all I can think of at the moment.

Elementary OS has a custom set of packages and differs from the usual "ubuntu" I don't think you can get to work another DE that easily like on an official ubuntu flavor 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/21/2020 at 3:52 PM, Chunchunmaru_ said:

Elementary OS has a custom set of packages and differs from the usual "ubuntu" I don't think you can get to work another DE that easily like on an official ubuntu flavor 

Is there a way to go back to lightdm3? 

• 2 weeks later...