Why does a 3.8GHz quad core intel processor perform better than a 4.0GHz quad core AMD processor?

I watched a YouTube video recently about the comparison of AMD vs Intel. After seeing it, I got a huge suspicion. That's, what determines the performance of a CPU? Coz 3.8GHz quad core intel processor perform better than 4.0GHz quad core AMD processor. Why this is happening?

AMD Athlon x4 750k

Intel i5 x4670k

Please clear my doubt.

because clock speeds are not the only things that make a cpu.

there's the cache layout the imc the ipc count the fpu..

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

In very short: because not all Hz are equal. IPC matters too; instructions per clock (how much it can do per Hz).

AMD's CPU's in that generation didn't have great IPC.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Because the difference in IPC (instructions per clock) between Haswell and Kaveri or whatever that Athlon was using is night and day.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

By the way, you can see the same thing if you compare the 10700K and 3700X at 4Ghz, the 3700X is going to be faster even if you lock both to the same clocks.

30 minutes ago, BThamS said:

I watched a YouTube video recently about the comparison of AMD vs Intel. After seeing it, I got a huge suspicion. That's, what determines the performance of a CPU? Coz 3.8GHz quad core intel processor perform better than 4.0GHz quad core AMD processor. Why this is happening?

AMD Athlon x4 750k

Intel i5 x4670k

Please clear my doubt.

Totally different architectures you cannot compared the ghz. You need to look at IPC. That i5 is about 65% better in single core performance.

37 minutes ago, BThamS said:

AMD Athlon x4 750k

Intel i5 x4670k

Please clear my doubt.

Because that's a much more recent core I model being compared against an ancient pile-driver APU?

Clockspeeds alone is irrelevant

Those are not cores,they are in fact "half a core" each.

Bulldozer based CPUs were designed with weird design decisions in an attempt to compete with Intel's Hyper Threading,

Each pair of "half cores" share resources with each other,because AMD splitted the cores in "halves" to match the number of threads of the competition.

So what you have in this Athlon CPU is 2 modules and 4 threads.

1 hour ago, TofuHaroto said:

because clock speeds are not the only things that make a cpu.

there's the cache layout the imc the ipc count the fpu..

58 minutes ago, minibois said:

In very short: because not all Hz are equal. IPC matters too; instructions per clock (how much it can do per Hz).

AMD's CPU's in that generation didn't have great IPC.

True but not the whole story.

57 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Because the difference in IPC (instructions per clock) between Haswell and Kaveri or whatever that Athlon was using is night and day.

It's not the IPC,it's 2 modules 4 thread CPU vs 4 cores 4 threads CPU...

Multi-threaded performance should much an i3 from back in the day.

24 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Because that's a much more recent core I model being compared against an ancient pile-driver APU?

Clockspeeds alone is irrelevant

It's AMD's odd design decisions,not the age of the architecture (The 2600K is a great example)

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

1 hour ago, Vishera said:

It's not the IPC,it's 2 modules 4 thread CPU vs 4 cores 4 threads CPU...

Multi-threaded performance should much an i3 from back in the day.

It's also very much the IPC.

untitled-21.png.c47dd6c2394b1d50d08981ab780a38da.png

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

10 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

It's also very much the IPC.

Spoiler

untitled-21.png.c47dd6c2394b1d50d08981ab780a38da.png

The IPC is a factor of the performance of course,but the main reason a "quad core" bulldozer based CPU doesn't perform like a quad core Ryzen or Intel CPU is because it's not a a real quad core.

A "quad core" bulldozer has just 2 modules and 4 threads,just like an old Core i3 that also has 2 modules and 4 threads,and due to the IPC even the Core i3 will perform better (depending on the clock speed of course).

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566