Games crashing for some reason

ChrisZH

So my friend build himself a 3700x build. It's on a. Asus x570-pro with 16gb 3600mhz ram. He has his old rx 580 now and it keeps crashing in games and turning his display off, causing him to reset his PC. He has tried a fresh install of all drivers and windows and it still happens. He has tried different pcie cables to test as well. It lasts longer than it did before but still crashes in the end. It's an msi rx580 gaming x card. The temps only got to 66-67, while at 100% fan speed. All drivers are up to date and he is using 20.4.2 adrenaline release. Let me know if you have any ideas what it could be, I'm wondering if he damaged the card taking it out of an old HP prebuilt case, or it was just so hot in that case he damaged it. I'm lost of what we can troubleshoot now, any help would be appreciated.

Ideas huh?  Ideas I got.  Can’t promise anything.

Crashes after a computer boots are frequently memory.

methodology:

Do some full memtest86 runs and if nothing is found do one stick in slot 1.

another could be a PSU issue.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Just now, Bombastinator said:

Ideas huh?  Ideas I got.  Can’t promise anything.

Crashes after a computer boots are frequently memory.

methodology:

Do some full memtest86 runs and if nothing is found do one stick in slot 1.

another could be a PSU issue.

When it crashes the GPU fans are stuck at 100%. Also the ram isn't OC at all. I thought of this too, he's probably on an old BIOS so I'm gonna get him to update it and see what happens. It's an EVGA 750W power supply, not sure it would be that but I guess it's possible.

32 minutes ago, ChrisZH said:

So my friend build himself a 3700x build. It's on a. Asus x570-pro with 16gb 3600mhz ram. He has his old rx 580 now and it keeps crashing in games and turning his display off, causing him to reset his PC. He has tried a fresh install of all drivers and windows and it still happens. He has tried different pcie cables to test as well. It lasts longer than it did before but still crashes in the end. It's an msi rx580 gaming x card. The temps only got to 66-67, while at 100% fan speed. All drivers are up to date and he is using 20.4.2 adrenaline release. Let me know if you have any ideas what it could be, I'm wondering if he damaged the card taking it out of an old HP prebuilt case, or it was just so hot in that case he damaged it. I'm lost of what we can troubleshoot now, any help would be appreciated.

amd drivers always suck thats one thing but i had some crashes with an unstable overclock on my old card maybe its because of that

1 minute ago, ChrisZH said:

When it crashes the GPU fans are stuck at 100%. Also the ram isn't OC at all. I thought of this too, he's probably on an old BIOS so I'm gonna get him to update it and see what happens. It's an EVGA 750W power supply, not sure it would be that but I guess it's possible.

Memory problems can be subtle and don’t require an OC to happen.  So subtle memtest doesn’t always pick them up. Most of the memory could be OK with only one flaw that only gets in the way after some time after the app uses up other memory.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

48 minutes ago, BardiaMGTGC said:

amd drivers always suck thats one thing but i had some crashes with an unstable overclock on my old card maybe its because of that

Yes I thought the same as well. He's using the WQHL driver and has even went down to a driver before the 2020 update. The card worked fine on his Intel build, maybe it doesn't like the x570 chipset?

48 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Memory problems can be subtle and don’t require an OC to happen.  So subtle memtest doesn’t always pick them up. Most of the memory could be OK with only one flaw that only gets in the way after some time after the app uses up other memory.

Well the crashes are random, like sometimes after 2 hours and sometimes immediately. He has the ram in the correct slot. If it's a memory issue it could be a stability issue with the BIOS. I was having the same on my x570 until I updated the BIOS version to a more recent one.

35 minutes ago, ChrisZH said:

Well the crashes are random, like sometimes after 2 hours and sometimes immediately. He has the ram in the correct slot. If it's a memory issue it could be a stability issue with the BIOS. I was having the same on my x570 until I updated the BIOS version to a more recent one.

Bios comes first I agree.  I’m just saying it might be worth trying before pulling more expensive hardware.

the SOP for trouble shooting is try the easy cheap stuff first because if you do something difficult and expensive and the problem turns out to be one of the easy cheap ones you wind up being annoyed.

8 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Bios comes first I agree.  I’m just saying it might be worth trying before pulling more expensive hardware.

the SOP for trouble shooting is try the easy cheap stuff first because if you do something difficult and expensive and the problem turns out to be one of the easy cheap ones you wind up being annoyed.

He checked in event viewer and was a video TDR error so I guess we try to solve this and see what happens 

There’s another thread on a similar subject.  Error at the moment there may be a badly routed cable that was interacting with the motherboard.  Jury is still out though. 

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

There’s another thread on a similar subject.  Error at the moment there may be a badly routed cable that was interacting with the motherboard.  Jury is still out though. 

I'm having him use his old power supply to see what happens when he gets off work. Then I might have him use just 1 stick of ram. I'm running out of things to do for troubleshooting. This is the same problem I had with my Radeon vii. Since I upgraded to the 2080ti I haven't had any issue at all. I'm trying to get him to just upgrade his gpu, since a 580 can't do much with modern games anymore really

Just now, ChrisZH said:

I'm having him use his old power supply to see what happens when he gets off work. Then I might have him use just 1 stick of ram. I'm running out of things to do for troubleshooting. This is the same problem I had with my Radeon vii. Since I upgraded to the 2080ti I haven't had any issue at all. I'm trying to get him to just upgrade his gpu, since a 580 can't do much with modern games anymore really

Depends.  It’s definitely a 1080p card.  I’ve got one.  Hoping it will last until an update.  My whole machine is old and low end at this point though.  Old hardware.