Do I have to download entire MCC to play Halo Reach?

StopConsoleHate

So, I have the 'Xbox Game Pass for PC' and one of the games included with it is the Halo Master Chief. I finished a game, and decided that for my next game I wanted to play Halo Reach, so I went onto the Microsoft store, and pressed download. However, at this point I realized that 'Halo Reach' on the MS Store is technically just a DLC for the MCC. This is fine for me as with the Game Pass I have access to the MCC. However, this means, as far as I know, that I would have to download the MCC collection, then go into it's settings, and effectively delete the other Halo Games. I only know this from downloading the game on my Xbox, there is a section in settings called custom installation. Only problem is, Halo MCC takes up around 100 gigs of space, and I don't have that space. (I only have 128gb on my potato laptop's hard drive). Is there any other way of just downloading Halo Reach? If necessary, I would consider less legal means.

NB: I haven't actually seen MCC on pc, so the Custom Installation setting might not even be there

On steam you can choose which DLCs you want to install under the properties menu. See below screen cap for example.

image.png.e0447d0af3d487e40a221b2c05ae9295.png

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

9 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

On steam you can choose which DLCs you want to install under the properties menu. See below screen cap for example.

image.png.e0447d0af3d487e40a221b2c05ae9295.png

Also, just as an FYI on PC I have all current DLC needed to play all the games installed and this is the file size.

image.png.e671e6a3181b4e602214724dd8c2c433.png

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

@GOTSpectrum thanks for the advice, unfortunately my copy is on the windows store rather than steam, but if the file size really is that low I might try downloading it anyway

If it functions anything like the way Steam's version of MCC is, it'll download the primary front-end and all content necessary for Halo: Reach.

EDIT: It is exactly like how you can mess with it for Steam, you can install an individual game and the front-end will install with it if it's not installed already. Just that... I can't really install it because the Microsoft Store is a pile of shit.

Edited by handymanshandle

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

• 9 months later...

UPDATE: An error occurred after I did the below and the download stalled at 33%. I uninstalled H4/MCC and am trying again. The download is, as is typical of MS downloads, running at a glacially slow 100-200 Mb/s, so this will take a while... failed again. I might have to download the whole darn thing and uninstall the stuff I didn't want.

In case someone else bumps against this bizarre behavior, here is how to download only one of the games instead of the entire 180 GB collection...

(I wanted to play Halo 4, I should think this applies to any of the others)

- Start the download from the Microsoft Store

- Watch your Start Menu for the Master Chief Collection to appear

- It appeared for me after about 12 GB had come in

- Launch the MCC

- Select Campaigns*

- Select the game you want to play

- You will get a message that the game has not been installed and you will be given an option to customize the installation. (It might not look exactly like it does in the first picture below, but probably will)

- You will then be given a list of the games in the collection with checkboxes for the campaign and multiplayer

- Uncheck the ones you don't want and hit Accept at the left end, right below the row of checkboxes

- Profit

*This can also be accessed via the MCC launcher settings in the Gameplay tab

Screenshot 2021-04-18 175739.png

614508633_Screenshot2021-04-18175823.png

Edited by bwopfamiliarnamenotfound
New information