Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So ive always been lead to beleive that using 100% of both your GPU and CPU while gaming is very very bad, but while searching it up online half the people say its okay as CPU's are meant to be stressed and half people say its a problem.

 

Now, this is also worrying me as its just started happening today, while playing Watch Dogs 2, Tom Clancy's Breakpoint and Assassins Creed Odyssy my GPU would reach 100% which is normal as its expected but my CPU goes way way way up to 100% usage and never comes down, not even changing the graphical and resolution settings helps, i have tried both V sync on and off and my CPU usage never seems to want to move at ALL.

 

CPU: Intel Core i5-8600K @ 4.1Ghz

GPU: 2080Super

 

I do play other games and have never seen these both at 100%

image.thumb.png.47567651bf538ac5f7f9cc0a793b5c6a.png

Heres a screenshot of my task manager while in game, the settings where the preset 'low' @ 1080p and it stays this way even at 4K Ultra

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SeeFights said:

So ive always been lead to beleive that using 100% of both your GPU and CPU while gaming is very very bad

No? Not necessarily bad. 

1 minute ago, SeeFights said:

do play other games and have never seen these both at 100%

-snip-

Not the best cpu for core heavy games. 

It's certainly normal for the most part. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

 

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

 

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

 

Build Log: 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, your CPU is bottlenecking the GPU. That's what happens with i5s from anything under 10th gen and high end cards. Consider upgrading to Zen 3 in a few months.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

No? Not necessarily bad. 

Not the best cpu for core heavy games. 

It's certainly normal for the most part. 

Ah, so it is not nessicerily a problem on my end or the unoptimisation. Its just the way the game is made?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Yes, your CPU is bottlenecking the GPU. That's what happens with i5s from anything under 10th gen and high end cards. Consider upgrading to Zen 3 in a few months.

do you wanna give me the money for a new mobo and cpu?

Link to post
Share on other sites

CPU at 100% is bad only in the sense that you are at its limit in work instructions.

 

GPU at 100% is ideal, as it means its not being held back by another component.  In your picture your CPU is severely throttling your GPU.

 

Heat only kills silicon outside specification, but technology shuts things off before this can happen.

Current in process build: Project Odyssey - Build Logs - Linus Tech Tips

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Ryzen Rig 3: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler in push/pull, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  Lenovo 27" 1080p 60hz placeholder monitor, generic mouse, generic keyboard.  Still a work in progress

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Ryzen Rig 2: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker (or 4x8gb DDR4 2666mhz for large tasks), Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case.  Zalman K600S keyboard, Zalman ZM-GM1 mouse, Viotek GN24C 24" 1080p 144hz curved and Hannspree HF207 as 2nd monitor

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Ryzen Rig 1: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X Nitro 4gb HBM, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case.  Zalman K600S keyboard, Zalman ZM-GM1 mouse, Acer XF270HU 2560x1440 144hz IPS monitor

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37628874?

Dell OptiPlex 3040 MFF: Dell 0MGK50 A02, i3-6100T, 2x4gb DDR3 1600, Team Group 120gb SSD, 500gb Seagate 7mm HDD attached storage, Windows 10 Pro, Logitech K400+, USB Wifi adapter all vesa mounted to the back of a 37" 1080p TV 

Linux Box: Toshiba Laptop, i7 620M, NVS graphics, 4gb ram tinker toy at the moment.  Running Manjaro XFCE at the moment.

Home Security: ZOSI 8 channel CCTV (4 used at this time, 1080p) DVR H.265+, 3tb HGST Enterprise HDD, ASUS monitor for display

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SeeFights said:

Ah, so it is not nessicerily a problem on my end or the unoptimisation

If one is pinned at 100% and the other is barely being utilized is when you start worrying. This is fine. 

 

2 minutes ago, SeeFights said:

Its just the way the game is made?

Just a more demanding game. The cpu isn't really the best with games that are cpu heavy. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

 

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

 

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

 

Build Log: 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

If one is pinned at 100% and the other is barely being utilized is when you start worrying. This is fine. 

 

2 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

CPU at 100% is bad only in the sense that you are at its limit in work instructions.

 

GPU at 100% is ideal, as it means its not being held back by another component.  In your picture your CPU is severely throttling your GPU.

 

Heat only kills silicon outside specification, but technology shuts things off before this can happen.

 

See now i have one person giving off the vibe that I am Aokay and in the clear and everything is normal

 

Then i have another saying that it is bad...

 

Just for refference my CPU never goes about 70 unless ive been gaming for more then 9 hours

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, SeeFights said:

 

 

See now i have one person giving off the vibe that I am Aokay and in the clear and everything is normal

 

Then i have another saying that it is bad...

 

Just for refference my CPU never goes about 70 unless ive been gaming for more then 9 hours

 

Ill talk Hardware specs - you are 100% fine.  Parts are meant to be able to run at 100% utilization within their TjMax (Temperature Junction Max) for life of the silicon.  Once it hits the TjMax protections kick in, causing what is known as "thermal throttling" where the frequency decreases so no damage occurs (temps no longer increase) or it will cause a complete thermal shutdown.

 

There is no vibe here, only specifications.

 

What the others are talking about is worrying is that you should start to worry that you have a bottleneck.

Current in process build: Project Odyssey - Build Logs - Linus Tech Tips

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Ryzen Rig 3: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler in push/pull, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  Lenovo 27" 1080p 60hz placeholder monitor, generic mouse, generic keyboard.  Still a work in progress

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Ryzen Rig 2: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker (or 4x8gb DDR4 2666mhz for large tasks), Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case.  Zalman K600S keyboard, Zalman ZM-GM1 mouse, Viotek GN24C 24" 1080p 144hz curved and Hannspree HF207 as 2nd monitor

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Ryzen Rig 1: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X Nitro 4gb HBM, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case.  Zalman K600S keyboard, Zalman ZM-GM1 mouse, Acer XF270HU 2560x1440 144hz IPS monitor

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37628874?

Dell OptiPlex 3040 MFF: Dell 0MGK50 A02, i3-6100T, 2x4gb DDR3 1600, Team Group 120gb SSD, 500gb Seagate 7mm HDD attached storage, Windows 10 Pro, Logitech K400+, USB Wifi adapter all vesa mounted to the back of a 37" 1080p TV 

Linux Box: Toshiba Laptop, i7 620M, NVS graphics, 4gb ram tinker toy at the moment.  Running Manjaro XFCE at the moment.

Home Security: ZOSI 8 channel CCTV (4 used at this time, 1080p) DVR H.265+, 3tb HGST Enterprise HDD, ASUS monitor for display

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

 

Ill talk Hardware specs - you are 100% fine.  Parts are meant to be able to run at 100% utilization within their TjMax (Temperature Junction Max) for life of the silicon.  Once it hits the TjMax protections kick in, causing what is known as "thermal throttling" where the frequency decreases so no damage occurs (temps no longer increase) or it will cause a complete thermal shutdown.

 

There is no vibe here, only specifications.

 

What the others are talking about is worrying is that you should start to worry that you have a bottleneck.

I have researched this bottleneck using a calculator my friend gave me, its on BottleneckCalculator.com, im not too sure how accurate this is but apparently your resolutions dictate how bottlenecked you are and I am never playing at 1080p always 4K so using this calculator am i too worry more about the bottleneck if its 20% and be lowered to 10% with a 25% CPU speed increase?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SeeFights said:

do you wanna give me the money for a new mobo and cpu?

You want the truth or us to lie to you?

 

11 minutes ago, SeeFights said:

I have researched this bottleneck using a calculator my friend gave me, its on BottleneckCalculator.com, im not too sure how accurate this is but apparently your resolutions dictate how bottlenecked you are and I am never playing at 1080p always 4K so using this calculator am i too worry more about the bottleneck if its 20% and be lowered to 10% with a 25% CPU speed increase?

Bottleneck calculators are as useless as asking potato salad for advice. They generate meaningless numbers that don't translate into anything.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SeeFights said:

 

 

See now i have one person giving off the vibe that I am Aokay and in the clear and everything is normal

 

Then i have another saying that it is bad...

 

Just for refference my CPU never goes about 70 unless ive been gaming for more then 9 hours

Your GPU is not being used to its fullest. You'd get the same performance out of a 2070 that you get from your 2080 - that's what a bottleneck means. The invested money that you spent on the expensive card is wasted as the GPU is not being utilized simply because your CPU cannot keep up and cannot keep it fed with draw calls. In your case, a Ryzen 5 3600 or i7 8700 + 2070 Super would perform better in games. Simple as that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

You want the truth or us to lie to you?

tell me both so i can see which one i prefer

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SeeFights said:

Ah, so it is not nessicerily a problem on my end or the unoptimisation. Its just the way the game is made?

Both - the game is certainly not perfect but your system is not balanced so you end up with a mid-range CPU liming a high end card and making it a waste of money.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SeeFights said:

tell me both so i can see which one i prefer

Lie - everything is fine and dandy

Truth - you should have gone for an i7 or Ryzen 5/7 when buying and gotten a 2070 Super - would have been a better pair and resulted in objectively better performance.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Truth - you should have gone for an i7 or Ryzen 5/7 when buying and gotten a 2070 Super - would have been a better pair and resulted in objectively better performance.

Truth - i5 and 2080super where a birthday present and going to uni present.

 

Lie - I have enough money to buy a new CPU and mobo to make sure i have less of a bottleneck.

 

So even if i wished to upgrade my CPU and Mobo i wouldnt be able too besides it only seems to happen in the three games stated in my original post. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Lie - everything is fine and dandy

Truth - you should have gone for an i7 or Ryzen 5/7 when buying and gotten a 2070 Super - would have been a better pair and resulted in objectively better performance.

I also would like to apologise for replying in such a rude way before, I do hate people telling me it is a bottleneck and constantly talking about it and people just presume that someone can go out and buy such large things without knowing the reasoning behind the original purchase : ) i hope you accept my apology and continue to have a good evening or afternoon.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SeeFights said:

I do hate people telling me it is a bottleneck and constantly talking about it 

Step 1.) Stop having an ego about your PC.

 

Step 2.) I learned this the hard way, here - come humbly, there is SO much information to be found here and the willingness of the regulars on this forum to teach you...anything, is unparalleled.  

 

Step 3.) Dont upgrade your parts, by all means - but now understand why things are the way they are and that while you didnt like the answer to your questions, they are facts.

 

And last but not least:

 

My i5 3470 which runs as a media center is roughly 30% slower single core than your CPU, and mine was produced in 2012.  The problem with Intel number scheme is it seems like some huge leap, when in fact its marginal at best generation to generation - when it comes to the i5's.  (They didnt have to, when amd was failing so hard either) My 2 copper coins.

 

 

 

 

Current in process build: Project Odyssey - Build Logs - Linus Tech Tips

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Ryzen Rig 3: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler in push/pull, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  Lenovo 27" 1080p 60hz placeholder monitor, generic mouse, generic keyboard.  Still a work in progress

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Ryzen Rig 2: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker (or 4x8gb DDR4 2666mhz for large tasks), Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case.  Zalman K600S keyboard, Zalman ZM-GM1 mouse, Viotek GN24C 24" 1080p 144hz curved and Hannspree HF207 as 2nd monitor

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Ryzen Rig 1: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X Nitro 4gb HBM, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case.  Zalman K600S keyboard, Zalman ZM-GM1 mouse, Acer XF270HU 2560x1440 144hz IPS monitor

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37628874?

Dell OptiPlex 3040 MFF: Dell 0MGK50 A02, i3-6100T, 2x4gb DDR3 1600, Team Group 120gb SSD, 500gb Seagate 7mm HDD attached storage, Windows 10 Pro, Logitech K400+, USB Wifi adapter all vesa mounted to the back of a 37" 1080p TV 

Linux Box: Toshiba Laptop, i7 620M, NVS graphics, 4gb ram tinker toy at the moment.  Running Manjaro XFCE at the moment.

Home Security: ZOSI 8 channel CCTV (4 used at this time, 1080p) DVR H.265+, 3tb HGST Enterprise HDD, ASUS monitor for display

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

Step 1.) Stop having an ego about your PC.

 

Step 2.) I learned this the hard way, here - come humbly, there is SO much information to be found here and the willingness of the regulars on this forum to teach you...anything, is unparalleled.  

 

Step 3.) Dont upgrade your parts, by all means - but now understand why things are the way they are and that while you didnt like the answer to your questions, they are facts.

 

And last but not least:

 

My i5 3470 which runs as a media center is roughly 30% slower single core than your CPU, and mine was produced in 2012.  The problem with Intel number scheme is it seems like some huge leap, when in fact its marginal at best generation to generation - when it comes to the i5's.  (They didnt have to, when amd was failing so hard either) My 2 copper coins.

 

1) I don't feel like i have an ego about my PC, i understand it is no where near the best money can buy but compared to my old FX-8350 and SLI'd 960's, from my perspective this to me is so much more of an upgrade then what I use to have.

 

2) I have used this forum before, I have the utmost respect for people who come here and comment as they dont need to but choose to.

 

3) Its not that i did not like his answer, i do understand there is a bottleneck but please understand that this current setup, had nothing to do with me it was a going away present and a birthday present combined which i am infact very very humbled by from my family for doing such and to go to them and say this and that makes me feel sad.

 

to refer to your last point, I am not very techsavey compared to and @5x5 I just know i would prefer to be gaming on this machine rather then my old one especiall in 2020 as from my perspective I can game at 4K at 60FPS and to me, this doesnt make me sad

 

I may have also fixed it as I applied an overclock to my CPU using Asus's EZ OC BIOS thing and im no longer reaching 100% CPU usage in that game...

Link to post
Share on other sites

No hard feelings just consider future prospects whenever you have the budget. Also, careful with Asus' auto overclocking. If you over volt, you may kill the CPU and board.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 5x5 said:

No hard feelings just consider future prospects whenever you have the budget. Also, careful with Asus' auto overclocking. If you over volt, you may kill the CPU and board.

I just applied a small 28% OC which now makes the CPU turbo at 4.5GHz which seems to have fixed the 100% CPU usage 

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, SeeFights said:

I just applied a small 28% OC which now makes the CPU turbo at 4.5GHz which seems to have fixed the 100% CPU usage 

28% is not small. Make sure voltage is under 1.3 and temperature is under 85 under 100% load

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 5x5 said:

28% is not small. Make sure voltage is under 1.3 and temperature is under 85 under 100% load

28% seemed small? How do i check voltage and i was playing breakpoint at 4K Ultra settings and it never reached 85 never the less 80, it would bounce around for a few seconds but would always hover in the 65-75 temp ranges.

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, SeeFights said:

28% seemed small? How do i check voltage and i was playing breakpoint at 4K Ultra settings and it never reached 85 never the less 80, it would bounce around for a few seconds but would always hover in the 65-75 temp ranges.

That's not full load. It could also not be stable. Use HWiNFO to track values and OCCT for stability. If you get any errors then the overclock is not stable

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

That's not full load. It could also not be stable. Use HWiNFO to track values and OCCT for stability. If you get any errors then the overclock is not stable

got any suggestions for what settings i should do and what i should look out for?

 

Im currently got it to run a stress test for 30 mins, the voltage after 5 mins is min 1.295-1.290 and the max is 1.336-1.344. The temps after 5 mins are min 37 and max 76. Thats Celcius

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×