Msi 2060 super gaming x As replacement

nextraff

My 2060 super from gigabyte has coil whine to quite a high degree  and was wondering if anyone has the gaming x from msi and if they have any issues with coil whine?

15 minutes ago, nextraff said:

My 2060 super from gigabyte has coil whine to quite a high degree  and was wondering if anyone has the gaming x from msi and if they have any issues with coil whine?

Coil whine is luck of the draw.  It’s caused by a cracked coil and everything has coils

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

6 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Coil whine is luck of the draw.  It’s caused by a cracked coil and everything has coils

I thought it was caused by loose coils?

18 minutes ago, nextraff said:

I thought it was caused by loose coils?

I suppose it could also be.  Loose coils could contribute to cracking or cause whine themselves.  Coils can crack just by existing though. They’re really big magnets that are both fragile and brittle while being under a lot of stress.  If it were the primary cause there would be parts with coils that never experience coil whine and parts that experience it a lot.  It seems to be pretty randomly distributed.  Might be that the tightness requirements are so strict they’re difficult to hit.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

8 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I suppose it could also be.  Loose coils could contribute to cracking or cause whine themselves.  Coils can crack just by existing though. They’re really big magnets that are both fragile and brittle while being under a lot of stress.  If it were the primary cause there would be parts with coils that never experience coil whine and parts that experience it a lot.  It seems to be pretty randomly distributed.  Might be that the tightness requirements are so strict they’re difficult to hit.

Do most gpus have it or is it rare 

4 minutes ago, nextraff said:

Do most gpus have it or is it rare 

Audible hum is rare.  Part of the issue is more frequently than not a coil may have it but it’s not in the human hearing range.  Sometimes an overclock or under lock can get rid of or reduce it (or make it worse) by changing the frequency outside human hearing range.

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Audible hum is rare.  Part of the issue is more frequently than not a coil may have it but it’s not in the human hearing range.  Sometimes an overclock or under lock can get rid of or reduce it (or make it worse) by changing the frequency outside human hearing range.

Would it be a silly idea to try a different brand like msi or should I just live with it?

14 minutes ago, nextraff said:

Would it be a silly idea to try a different brand like msi or should I just live with it?

I think that an identical card very possibly won’t have it, and that buying a different brand would have a similar likelihood of also having whine.  If whine is common in that make and model of card that would be a different thing.

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

I think that an identical card very possibly won’t have it, and that buying a different brand would have a similar likelihood of also having whine.  If whine is common in that make and model of card that would be a different thing.

I've read online that gigabyte are one of the worst offenders for coil whine am I wrong in thinking that because I really don't know