Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is a CX500 enough for this build? PSU calculator recommending way more!

I used Outervision's PSU calculator, here are the results:

https://outervision.com/b/EPVsUz

 

My PSU is a Corsair CX500. Nothing is OC'd besides CPU's Precision Boost on BIOS (because of that, it runs on 4.0ghz on average, with 1.3v).

 

They recommend a 600W, should I get one now?

Also, on PCPP, it says my estimated wattage is 414W, but they don't require many info as Outervision. 

 

In case I should replace now, I already know the model I'll get, so I don't need recommendations, but I thank you guys anyway.

In case the CX500 is enough for now, what do I have room for? The only upgrade I will do in the near future is replacing my mobo, a A320M-K for a B450, so I might do some overclock if I can get the temps right. In that case should I change PSU? When would you guys recommend me replacing it?

Thanks in advance!

Sem título.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, takk said:

My PSU is a Corsair CX500. Nothing is OC'd besides CPU's Precision Boost on BIOS (because of that, it runs on 4.0ghz on average, with 1.3v).

 

They recommend a 600W, should I get one now?

500W is enough for your build. But isn't the CX500 almost a decade oid psu? Why not look at the newer CX550/650 or CX550M/650M?

CPU: 19-9900KS  MotherboardGigabyte H31OM DS2V DDR3  CPU Cooler: Coolet Master Hyper T2  GPU: Dataland RTX 550 Duel Cool 4 GB(using the software-overclock since it makes about a 3fps difference in GTAV)  RAM: Kingstom blue fury 16GIGS DDR3 1333MHz + 16GB Corshair 1600Mhz (running at 1333Mhz) RAM stick  

Case: Phantek Enthoo Pro M with a fibreglass side panel  PSU: SeaSonic M12 SS-70OHM 700WATTS 80+ White 

Storage: Kingstone A4OO 1.92TB + 4TB Seagate Barracuda 5400RPM OS: Windows 10 Home Displays: A0C AG241QX (23.8" 2K 144hz TN, duel monitor setup)

Link to post
Share on other sites

The CX500 is the horrible old green models that are known for being unreliable and shit. Avoid using that.

 

Get a Be Quiet Pure Power Gold or Cooler Master MWE Gold. 550-600W would be ideal to accommodate future upgrades.

 

Also, if.overclcoking, first, don't and second, get a decent board and enable PBO while tuning your memory.

Link to post
Share on other sites

500W is enough, but seeing how you've updated everything else in the last few years, why are you still using an old as dirt power supply?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ralf said:

500W is enough for your build. But isn't the CX500 almost a decade oid psu? Why not look at the newer CX550/650 or CX550M/650M?

Thanks! Well its because I have this PSU for a while now, its with me for around 6 years or so.

Everytime I did an upgrade I've been told it would handle.

I'll probably get a 650 the next time I need. When would you recommend I replace it? Do I wait for it to fail? What upgrade would justify me replacing it?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, takk said:

Thanks! Well its because I have this PSU for a while now, its with me for around 6 years or so.

Everytime I did an upgrade I've been told it would handle.

I'll probably get a 650 the next time I need. When would you recommend I replace it? Do I wait for it to fail? What upgrade would justify me replacing it?

Someone really wanted to see that CC crash and burn but it survived, somehow

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jonnyGURU said:

500W is enough, but seeing how you've updated everything else in the last few years, why are you still using an old as dirt power supply?  


Because I only upgraded parts when I needed (my mobo died once and I had to replace the CPU as well because I got a new socket), or when I saw a pretty good deal (RTX 2060, cheap RAM, etc).

 

And to be really honest I only do deep research on hardware from time to time, mostly when I need to replace something, and as the PSU was just working fine I kinda forgot about it.

 

Even if its enough, do you recommend me replacing it atm for any particula reason?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, takk said:


Because I only upgraded parts when I needed (my mobo died once and I had to replace the CPU as well because I got a new socket), or when I saw a pretty good deal (RTX 2060, cheap RAM, etc).

 

And to be really honest I only do deep research on hardware from time to time, mostly when I need to replace something, and as the PSU was just working fine I kinda forgot about it.

 

Even if its enough, do you recommend me replacing it atm for any particula reason?

If you value your hardware, yes, replace it as soon as possible.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

The CX500 is the horrible old green models that are known for being unreliable and shit. A kid using that.

 

Get a Be Quiet Pure Power Gold or Cooler Master MWE Gold. 550-600W would be ideal to accommodate future upgrades.

 

Also, if.overclcoking, first, don't and second, get a decent board and enable PBO while tuning your memory.

 

3 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Someone really wanted to see that CC crash and burn but it survived, somehow



I'm planning getting a B450 when I get a good price (maybe on BF) and from there doing small overclocks, mostly to keep it running at a higher core and take full advantage of the 4.3ghz it can get on turbo. But nothing crazy like pushing beyond that.

Edited by takk
Question was answered in previous comment
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, takk said:

I'll probably get a 650 the next time I need

No. PSU calculators are usually wrong. Your system doesn't consume more than 300w at worst. 

A cx550 should be a big upgrade. 

2 minutes ago, takk said:

do you recommend me replacing it atm for any particula reason?

I mean. I would probably replace. It's old at this point and a grey label cx will probably be a big upgrade.

Wārudobītā

CPU: Ryzen 3 3100. Board: B550m TUF plus. Memory: 16 (2x8) 3200 cl16 Hyper x Fury RGB. GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 1650 super.  Boot Drive: MX500. Case: Antec NX500 (Quite crappy. :p) PSU: CX450. 

 

Hehe, Meshify c is a kewl case. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

The CX500 is the horrible old green models that are known for being unreliable and shit. Avoid using that.

 

Get a Be Quiet Pure Power Gold or Cooler Master MWE Gold. 550-600W would be ideal to accommodate future upgrades.

 

Also, if.overclcoking, first, don't and second, get a decent board and enable PBO while tuning your memory.

 

Just one more question, do you recommend me replacing it because 500W are not enough or because the PSU is unreliable?

If I had another 500W (I'm not replacing it for another 500W, just for sake of argument), would be fine then?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, takk said:

 



I'm planning getting a B450 when I get a good price (maybe on BF) and from there doing small overclocks, mostly to keep it running at a higher core and take full advantage of the 4.3ghz it can get on turbo. But nothing crazy like pushing beyond that.

4.3 is a big overclock all core, pushing beyond that is usually not even possible without LN2 or extreme voltages.

 

And you'll really want a new power supply for overclocking. Get a TXM 550 or Be Quiet Pure Power Gold 500

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, takk said:

 

Just one more question, do you recommend me replacing it because 500W are not enough or because the PSU is unreliable?

If I had another 500W (I'm not replacing it for another 500W, just for sake of argument), would be fine then?

Yes, the issue isn't wattage, it's quality, stability, reliability, voltage and ripple control.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

No. PSU calculators are usually wrong. Your system doesn't consume more than 300w at worst. 

A cx550 should be a big upgrade. 

I mean. I would probably replace. It's old at this point and a grey label cx will probably be a big upgrade.

  

5 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Yes, the issue isn't wattage, it's quality, stability, reliability, voltage and ripple control.

 

 

Thanks, I understand it better now. In this case I wont wait the PSU to die to replace, but I'll most likely wait for Black Friday (I hope nothing happens in 4-5 months) or at least for a good deal around here as prices are really inflated. Then I'll get a better mobo and my system will have way better synergy. 🙃😊🤗

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, takk said:

  

 

 

Thanks, I understand it better now. In this case I wont wait the PSU to die to replace, but I'll most likely wait for Black Friday (I'll hope nothing happens in 4-5 months) or at least wait for a good deal around here as prices are really inflated. Then I'll get a better mobo and my system will the closest to good synergy as I can get now for what I already have. 🙃😊🤗

Until then, avoid putting heavy loads on the system.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×