Is a CX500 enough for this build? PSU calculator recommending way more!

takk

I used Outervision's PSU calculator, here are the results:

https://outervision.com/b/EPVsUz

My PSU is a Corsair CX500. Nothing is OC'd besides CPU's Precision Boost on BIOS (because of that, it runs on 4.0ghz on average, with 1.3v).

They recommend a 600W, should I get one now?

Also, on PCPP, it says my estimated wattage is 414W, but they don't require many info as Outervision. 

In case I should replace now, I already know the model I'll get, so I don't need recommendations, but I thank you guys anyway.

In case the CX500 is enough for now, what do I have room for? The only upgrade I will do in the near future is replacing my mobo, a A320M-K for a B450, so I might do some overclock if I can get the temps right. In that case should I change PSU? When would you guys recommend me replacing it?

Thanks in advance!

Sem título.png

7 minutes ago, takk said:

My PSU is a Corsair CX500. Nothing is OC'd besides CPU's Precision Boost on BIOS (because of that, it runs on 4.0ghz on average, with 1.3v).

They recommend a 600W, should I get one now?

500W is enough for your build. But isn't the CX500 almost a decade oid psu? Why not look at the newer CX550/650 or CX550M/650M?

Interim 15 T200 OKF("F" intel processors are specifically archituctured for gaming) maybe upgrad to 13'900 | Peeralight cpu fan | Stryx Z690-A Wife(which is branded by ASUS and it's ROG label) | Thermotake 16x 8x2GO SODINM 2400mjz cl22 (2 of them with the mood lighting) | 980 EVO 1TB m.2 ssd card + Kensington 2TB SATA nvme + WD BLACK PRO ULTRA MAX 4TB GAMING DESTROYER HHD | Echa etc 3060 duel fan dissipator 12 GBi and Azrock with the radian 550 XT Tiachi | NEXT H510 Vit Klar Svart | Seasonice 600watts voeding(rated for 100.000 hours, running since 2010, ballpark estimate 8 hours a day which should make it good for 34 years) | Nocturna case fans | 0LED Duel moniter

New build in progress: Ryen™ 8 7700x3D with a copper pipe fan | Z60e-A | Kingstron RENEGATE 16x2 Go hyenix | Phantek 2 the thar mesh in front | lead lex black label psu + AsiaHorse białe/białe | 1080 Pro 8TB 15800MB/S NvMe(for gaming this increase fps and charging time, cooled by a M.2 slot with coolblock and additional thermopad) and faster 4000GB HHD | MAI GeForce GTX 2070 Ti and RTX 6800 | Corshair psu

The CX500 is the horrible old green models that are known for being unreliable and shit. Avoid using that.

Get a Be Quiet Pure Power Gold or Cooler Master MWE Gold. 550-600W would be ideal to accommodate future upgrades.

Also, if.overclcoking, first, don't and second, get a decent board and enable PBO while tuning your memory.

500W is enough, but seeing how you've updated everything else in the last few years, why are you still using an old as dirt power supply?  

1 minute ago, Ralf said:

500W is enough for your build. But isn't the CX500 almost a decade oid psu? Why not look at the newer CX550/650 or CX550M/650M?

Thanks! Well its because I have this PSU for a while now, its with me for around 6 years or so.

Everytime I did an upgrade I've been told it would handle.

I'll probably get a 650 the next time I need. When would you recommend I replace it? Do I wait for it to fail? What upgrade would justify me replacing it?

3 minutes ago, takk said:

Thanks! Well its because I have this PSU for a while now, its with me for around 6 years or so.

Everytime I did an upgrade I've been told it would handle.

I'll probably get a 650 the next time I need. When would you recommend I replace it? Do I wait for it to fail? What upgrade would justify me replacing it?

Someone really wanted to see that CC crash and burn but it survived, somehow

1 minute ago, jonnyGURU said:

500W is enough, but seeing how you've updated everything else in the last few years, why are you still using an old as dirt power supply?  

Because I only upgraded parts when I needed (my mobo died once and I had to replace the CPU as well because I got a new socket), or when I saw a pretty good deal (RTX 2060, cheap RAM, etc).

And to be really honest I only do deep research on hardware from time to time, mostly when I need to replace something, and as the PSU was just working fine I kinda forgot about it.

Even if its enough, do you recommend me replacing it atm for any particula reason?

1 minute ago, takk said:

Because I only upgraded parts when I needed (my mobo died once and I had to replace the CPU as well because I got a new socket), or when I saw a pretty good deal (RTX 2060, cheap RAM, etc).

And to be really honest I only do deep research on hardware from time to time, mostly when I need to replace something, and as the PSU was just working fine I kinda forgot about it.

Even if its enough, do you recommend me replacing it atm for any particula reason?

If you value your hardware, yes, replace it as soon as possible.

8 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

The CX500 is the horrible old green models that are known for being unreliable and shit. A kid using that.

Get a Be Quiet Pure Power Gold or Cooler Master MWE Gold. 550-600W would be ideal to accommodate future upgrades.

Also, if.overclcoking, first, don't and second, get a decent board and enable PBO while tuning your memory.

3 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Someone really wanted to see that CC crash and burn but it survived, somehow

I'm planning getting a B450 when I get a good price (maybe on BF) and from there doing small overclocks, mostly to keep it running at a higher core and take full advantage of the 4.3ghz it can get on turbo. But nothing crazy like pushing beyond that.

Edited by takk
Question was answered in previous comment

5 minutes ago, takk said:

I'll probably get a 650 the next time I need

No. PSU calculators are usually wrong. Your system doesn't consume more than 300w at worst. 

A cx550 should be a big upgrade. 

2 minutes ago, takk said:

do you recommend me replacing it atm for any particula reason?

I mean. I would probably replace. It's old at this point and a grey label cx will probably be a big upgrade.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

9 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

The CX500 is the horrible old green models that are known for being unreliable and shit. Avoid using that.

Just one more question, do you recommend me replacing it because 500W are not enough or because the PSU is unreliable?

If I had another 500W (I'm not replacing it for another 500W, just for sake of argument), would be fine then?

1 minute ago, takk said:

I'm planning getting a B450 when I get a good price (maybe on BF) and from there doing small overclocks, mostly to keep it running at a higher core and take full advantage of the 4.3ghz it can get on turbo. But nothing crazy like pushing beyond that.

4.3 is a big overclock all core, pushing beyond that is usually not even possible without LN2 or extreme voltages.

And you'll really want a new power supply for overclocking. Get a TXM 550 or Be Quiet Pure Power Gold 500

1 minute ago, takk said:

Just one more question, do you recommend me replacing it because 500W are not enough or because the PSU is unreliable?

If I had another 500W (I'm not replacing it for another 500W, just for sake of argument), would be fine then?

Yes, the issue isn't wattage, it's quality, stability, reliability, voltage and ripple control.

9 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

No. PSU calculators are usually wrong. Your system doesn't consume more than 300w at worst. 

A cx550 should be a big upgrade. 

I mean. I would probably replace. It's old at this point and a grey label cx will probably be a big upgrade.

5 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Yes, the issue isn't wattage, it's quality, stability, reliability, voltage and ripple control.

Thanks, I understand it better now. In this case I wont wait the PSU to die to replace, but I'll most likely wait for Black Friday (I hope nothing happens in 4-5 months) or at least for a good deal around here as prices are really inflated. Then I'll get a better mobo and my system will have way better synergy. 🙃😊🤗

1 minute ago, takk said:

Thanks, I understand it better now. In this case I wont wait the PSU to die to replace, but I'll most likely wait for Black Friday (I'll hope nothing happens in 4-5 months) or at least wait for a good deal around here as prices are really inflated. Then I'll get a better mobo and my system will the closest to good synergy as I can get now for what I already have. 🙃😊🤗

Until then, avoid putting heavy loads on the system.