New PC - strange Windows freezes (probable cause: NZXT CAM)

Korben

I had been having these annoying freezes for a long time but had gone away with the new updates (only had gotten 1 after that). However the past few days they seem to have come back with a vengeance and keep getting them all the time again and from what I see CAM has auto-updated several times recently. Has this started happening to anyone else again???

edit: I've uninstalled CAM and it keeps happening so I suspect the culprit might be something else this time even though it is that exact same weird type of crash. The only difference is instead of occuring every couple of days now it's only a couple of hours.

I just built a new pc last week and I’m having this same issue. No clue what to do. I built this to stream and I’m not really able to, as I get the freeze after about an hour or 2 of use.

5600x

Asus B550-f wifi

rtx 2060

corsair ram, cpu cooler, case

my Corsair app crashes then a little bit after the rest of the system hangs up. Only my mouse works. I have to reboot or power down.

On 10/24/2021 at 2:26 AM, DangP said:

I just built a new pc last week and I’m having this same issue. No clue what to do. I built this to stream and I’m not really able to, as I get the freeze after about an hour or 2 of use.

5600x

Asus B550-f wifi

rtx 2060

corsair ram, cpu cooler, case

my Corsair app crashes then a little bit after the rest of the system hangs up. Only my mouse works. I have to reboot or power down.

But if you use Corsair where's the problem ? 😄 

I'm asking because this thread is about the freezing problem with nzxt CAM software in combination of amd processors. You said your RAM, CPU Cooler and Case is from Corsair...what about the case fans ? NZXT or Corsair too ? Because if its corsair too the issue is somewhere else.

Is it possible that NZXT Cam is causing similar problems on my end? 
I´ve been reading some of the problems described here. I´m running an Intel Core i7-6700K CPU and have problems with my usb peripherals. Sudden disconnections for like 30 seconds until either I unplug and plug it back in, or wait until they come back on on their own.
Closing NZXT solves the issue, but so does closing Razer Synapse (all peripherals disconnecting are Razer).
Problem appeared only after installing NZXT Cam, so Synapse alone is not the problem.
I tried all imaginable solutions, from reinstalling both programs, updating drivers, BIOS, even formatting both my HDD and SSD and reinstalling windows.

I'm testing CAM Beta version 4.30.2 -b.1. I have had no problem freezing for over a week. Pay attention to the version of CAM you have. In the normal version, it also says it's a beta, but it's a different beta. They sent me links with the allegedly repaired version and so far it's ok. 

On 10/23/2021 at 11:53 AM, Anthos said:

I had been having these annoying freezes for a long time but had gone away with the new updates (only had gotten 1 after that). However the past few days they seem to have come back with a vengeance and keep getting them all the time again and from what I see CAM has auto-updated several times recently. Has this started happening to anyone else again???

edit: I've uninstalled CAM and it keeps happening so I suspect the culprit might be something else this time even though it is that exact same weird type of crash. The only difference is instead of occuring every couple of days now it's only a couple of hours.

I've been trying to say it's probably not CAM, for a while... nobody wants to listen.

On 10/26/2021 at 12:03 PM, Tracder said:

But if you use Corsair where's the problem ? 😄 

I'm asking because this thread is about the freezing problem with nzxt CAM software in combination of amd processors. You said your RAM, CPU Cooler and Case is from Corsair...what about the case fans ? NZXT or Corsair too ? Because if its corsair too the issue is somewhere else.

Dude, that's not what this thread is about.. it's about a specific kind of "crash".... this thing is happening to people with Intel CPUs, it's happening to people who have never even HEARD of CAM... The ONLY common denominator is Windows 10.

17 hours ago, NumberYellow said:

Dude, that's not what this thread is about.. it's about a specific kind of "crash".... this thing is happening to people with Intel CPUs, it's happening to people who have never even HEARD of CAM... The ONLY common denominator is Windows 10.

I also think it was not just a problem with CAM, but CAM was the program that triggered this problem. Turn off the CAM and you will see that freezing will not occur. Disabling Global C-state in bios also helps with AMD. Version 4.30.2 also did not work for me and the freezing kept repeating, but already version 4.30.2 -b.1 works without problems so far. Windows had updates at a similar time, perhaps that also had an impact.

I am curious if PC users who do not use LEDs and programs to operate pumps and fans also have a freezing problem.

16 hours ago, darth65 said:

I also think it was not just a problem with CAM, but CAM was the program that triggered this problem. Turn off the CAM and you will see that freezing will not occur. Disabling Global C-state in bios also helps with AMD. Version 4.30.2 also did not work for me and the freezing kept repeating, but already version 4.30.2 -b.1 works without problems so far. Windows had updates at a similar time, perhaps that also had an impact.

I am curious if PC users who do not use LEDs and programs to operate pumps and fans also have a freezing problem.

I'm curious as to how not that many people (relatively speaking) have encountered this problem, one thing I noticed is that I usually have to have my PC on for several days before I see a freeze.

Given that the problem is gone from my PC after enabling Memory Integrity I am thinking it's specifically a combination of various monitoring software messing with some memory belonging to drivers.

On 11/8/2021 at 12:50 AM, Nobunaga_if said:

Using the new patch(4.30.2), having no issues so far

I confirm.

Hi everyone,
My name is Carolyn and I’m one of the new Product Managers here at NZXT working on CAM. This thread was recently brought to my attention from another thread going on Reddit, and I wanted to hop in here and continue the conversation everyone’s been participating in.

I’ve been working with the engineering team to get this crashing & freezing bug fixed for some months now, and (as many of you already know) we’ve pushed an update that should fix the issue for the vast majority of our users in CAM 4.30.2. That being said, there are a couple of things I’d like to address:

1. I would like to apologize to everyone in our CAM community for the lack of communication and transparency from the CAM team while this bug was live. This was a big issue that affected a lot of people, and you deserve to know which bugs exist, when we’re working on a solution, and when they’re  resolved. This goes all the way from patch notes, to our customer service team being in the loop, to forums, to email communication. Going forward, we are committed to doing better by ensuring we’ve made an effort to let all of our users know what’s going on.
  2. As Jeff had previously mentioned on this thread, we have a public ideas board for users to report bugs and ideas. I’m currently going through the process of organizing and categorizing all of the threads to ensure users have a clear understanding of our team’s priorities. You can find the board here: https://cam-ideas.nzxt.com/ideas . I personally manage this board, so if it’s on there, you can be confident that I’ve seen it and that it’s being taken into consideration or escalated to the correct person. I’m constantly iterating on ways to improve the board, so if you think of something please feel free to drop a suggestion there.

Like I mentioned before, we pushed an update for the freezing bug that was mostly affecting AMD CPUs to CAM 4.30.2 on November 3, 2021. Since then we’ve gathered the following information:

1. We’re seeing a trend of freezing amongst users with an Intel CPU and a Kraken Z. We’re aware of this issue and looking into it.
  2. We’re still gathering information on how Windows 11 is affecting CAM, and are unsure if it’s playing into this issue as well.
  3. If you’re running an old version of Razer Cortex or Razer Synapse alongside CAM, you may still experience freezing. Most who update those programs no longer have issues. We’ve also gotten reports that unchecking the “enable CPU core” can help with freezing issues as well.

If you’re still experiencing freezing issues, we’re very sorry and would like to know more information about your build and when the freezing is occurring. I’ll continue to watch this thread, and I’m always active on the NZXT Reddit, Discord, and Ideas Board. We are dedicated to fully resolving this issue, and appreciate all of the effort that has been put into this so far. I look forward to continuing this conversation going forward.

--Carolyn, CAM Product Manager

11 hours ago, NZXT_Carolyn said:

Hi everyone,
My name is Carolyn and I’m one of the new Product Managers here at NZXT working on CAM. This thread was recently brought to my attention from another thread going on Reddit, and I wanted to hop in here and continue the conversation everyone’s been participating in.

I’ve been working with the engineering team to get this crashing & freezing bug fixed for some months now, and (as many of you already know) we’ve pushed an update that should fix the issue for the vast majority of our users in CAM 4.30.2. That being said, there are a couple of things I’d like to address:

1. I would like to apologize to everyone in our CAM community for the lack of communication and transparency from the CAM team while this bug was live. This was a big issue that affected a lot of people, and you deserve to know which bugs exist, when we’re working on a solution, and when they’re  resolved. This goes all the way from patch notes, to our customer service team being in the loop, to forums, to email communication. Going forward, we are committed to doing better by ensuring we’ve made an effort to let all of our users know what’s going on.
  2. As Jeff had previously mentioned on this thread, we have a public ideas board for users to report bugs and ideas. I’m currently going through the process of organizing and categorizing all of the threads to ensure users have a clear understanding of our team’s priorities. You can find the board here: https://cam-ideas.nzxt.com/ideas. I personally manage this board, so if it’s on there, you can be confident that I’ve seen it and that it’s being taken into consideration or escalated to the correct person. I’m constantly iterating on ways to improve the board, so if you think of something please feel free to drop a suggestion there.

Like I mentioned before, we pushed an update for the freezing bug that was mostly affecting AMD CPUs to CAM 4.30.2 on November 3, 2021. Since then we’ve gathered the following information:

1. We’re seeing a trend of freezing amongst users with an Intel CPU and a Kraken Z. We’re aware of this issue and looking into it.
  2. We’re still gathering information on how Windows 11 is affecting CAM, and are unsure if it’s playing into this issue as well.
  3. If you’re running an old version of Razer Cortex or Razer Synapse alongside CAM, you may still experience freezing. Most who update those programs no longer have issues. We’ve also gotten reports that unchecking the “enable CPU core” can help with freezing issues as well.

If you’re still experiencing freezing issues, we’re very sorry and would like to know more information about your build and when the freezing is occurring. I’ll continue to watch this thread, and I’m always active on the NZXT Reddit, Discord, and Ideas Board. We are dedicated to fully resolving this issue, and appreciate all of the effort that has been put into this so far. I look forward to continuing this conversation going forward.

Edit your post and remove the period from your link to the NZXT ideas page.  Link won't work with that in it.

On 11/16/2021 at 3:25 AM, NZXT_Carolyn said:

Hi everyone,

2. As Jeff had previously mentioned on this thread, we have a public ideas board for users to report bugs and ideas. I’m currently going through the process of organizing and categorizing all of the threads to ensure users have a clear understanding of our team’s priorities. You can find the board here: https://cam-ideas.nzxt.com/ideas . I personally manage this board, so if it’s on there, you can be confident that I’ve seen it and that it’s being taken into consideration or escalated to the correct person. I’m constantly iterating on ways to improve the board, so if you think of something please feel free to drop a suggestion there.

After one and a half year with this problem. This excuses are coming too late for me. I will try the new update, but i will never trust and buy NZXT again. 

On 11/16/2021 at 2:25 AM, NZXT_Carolyn said:

Hi everyone,

Hi,

It may have been one of my threads you found on Reddit. I reported the issue over a year a go with NZXT support and got nowhere, support just fizzled out without any follow up. The only way this issue got any traction was making a noise on reddit and other forums such as LTT. I'm just a bit lost for words over the whole thing tbh. I'm a a software engineer and the idea of such a serious bug taking a year to resolve, with even acknowledgement taking months and months, is just absurd. I obviously understand bugs arise and I'm considerably happier if they are acknowledged and feedback is given, this didn't happen.

People were ripping out and replacing hardware to try and troubleshoot this issue, being unaware it was CAM the whole time. Even when we did get some acknowledgement, it was constantly referred to as an issue with AMD processors when I was using an Intel CPU. I got so sick of it, I resolved the problem eventually by moving to an opensource alternative (liquidctl) and tossing CAM in the bin. I have since built a new PC with a new Intel CPU and the same X53 cooler. Initially I did give CAM (beta) a second chance and while I didn't have any stability issues on the new CPU, I found it didn't correctly report the temperature of the new Intel 12-gen Alder Lake CPUs so again it went in the bin. I reported this temp reporting issue to support via email which seems to have disappeared into a black hole. I am not in the least bit surprised.

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw this nexus gamer video. it does not concern cam, but we can discover there the level of incompetence of this company, and especially their capacity has above all not to solve problems correctly and ignoring customers. 

As far as I'm concerned, the last update didn't work. The problem persists with me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2021 at 9:25 PM, NZXT_Carolyn said:

Hi everyone,

FWIW as of the release of NZXT CAM Beta 4.30.2-b.1 and with Global C-State Control Disabled in my BIOS I have yet to experience the issue again. PC specifications are listed on my profile. I would enable Global C-State Control again to see if it has any effect but if it's not broken I'm not too keen to fix it. You can add that to your data if you'd like.

As an aside, while I appreciate the probable solution and the reaching out of both yourself and Jeff I would suggest keeping in mind the unhappy customers found in this thread in response to your post. I'm sure you can understand the frustration given the span of time we're dealing with here and the overall lack of acknowledgement / progress reports / official response. Something should be done proactively to win back and keep customers who have and do deal with this issue. While I'm happy with my product NOW I will probably not choose NZXT products that require CAM in the future...or perhaps any NZXT products. Something to note. All the best. Thank you again.

On 11/16/2021 at 3:25 AM, NZXT_Carolyn said:

Hi everyone,

Hello Carolyn, 

thanks for trying even this is coming way too late.

as the last guy who commented previously, I still have the crashes when NZXT is running in the lasted software version (also beta).

my specs
- PROCESSOR: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6800K CPU @ 3.40GHz   3.40 GHz

- MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG STRIX X99 GAMING

- GRAPHICS CARD: ASUS GeForce GTX 1070
- RAM: Corsair 3000Mhz 4x8GB

- SSD: SAMSUNG 1TB
- POWER SUPPLY: Corsair CX650M
- LIQUID COOLING: NZXT Kraken X62 (no comments...)
- SOUND CARD: Sound Blaster ZxR

• 2 weeks later...

Well it seems like I also have this issue... 

Been having it for a while now on a 2 month old system. Completely the same; PC becomes sort of half unresponsive (clock stops ticking, sound stops, etc.) but I can still open Task Manager and move the mouse around for a bit before it becomes a full freeze and the only solution is to hammer the power button until the poor thing puts itself out of its misery. When the freeze happens I have been able to observe in Task Manager that the GPU suddenly spikes to 100% but I can't check which program is causing this spike. The issue happens when the PC is doing close to nothing and is quite annoying. 

Anyway, since I don't have any NZXT products and therefore don't run CAM I have now disabled Global C-States in my BIOS and praying that this solves the issue. Merry Christmas everyone

I have had problems with my AMD computer for a year (when I built it). Not only CAM was a problem, it was one of the more serious.
1. The antivirus bundled with the CPU destabilized the system
2. CAM was freezing the computer
3. USB was disconnecting something constantly.
4. RGB Fusion messed with everything

I changed a few things and it's good for now:
1. If you have it, get rid of Bullguard Antivirus (through him
      everything opened 4 times slower or not at all)
2. CAM already works for me in version 4.30.2-b.1, so I didn't do anything here ( new bios help also)
3. USB problems almost eliminated the new AGESA ComboV2 BIOS
     1.2.0.3 B (still there, but it's much better)
4. I got rid of RGB Fusion, which once installed will only save you
      formatting.
Maybe some of the sub-points will be useful to someone.

• 1 month later...
On 12/28/2021 at 5:31 PM, darth65 said:

I have had problems with my AMD computer for a year (when I built it). Not only CAM was a problem, it was one of the more serious.
1. The antivirus bundled with the CPU destabilized the system
2. CAM was freezing the computer
3. USB was disconnecting something constantly.
4. RGB Fusion messed with everything

I changed a few things and it's good for now:
1. If you have it, get rid of Bullguard Antivirus (through him
      everything opened 4 times slower or not at all)
2. CAM already works for me in version 4.30.2-b.1, so I didn't do anything here ( new bios help also)
3. USB problems almost eliminated the new AGESA ComboV2 BIOS
     1.2.0.3 B (still there, but it's much better)
4. I got rid of RGB Fusion, which once installed will only save you
      formatting.
Maybe some of the sub-points will be useful to someone.

if you don't have any issue with cam u will be the only person in this thread not having issues with it, therefore... no, thats not useful. 

@NZXT_Carolyn

The newest version of CAM Beta 4.33.2 brought the issue back. That's it for me. You will never see me again on this thread. It was working fine since my last post and somehow NZXT managed to mess it up again. That's the final straw. Never again will CAM live on my PC. I'm using liquidctl from here on forward and when it comes time to replace my Kraken X52 I will be choosing something that doesn't require CAM and likely won't be from NZXT. If you haven't been able to figure it out by now, you probably never will.

To everyone else...good luck! I suggest you either get rid of your NZXT device that requires CAM or use liquidctl until it's time to replace it.

• 1 month later...

The issue has also came back to my PC.

My current version of NZXT Cam is 4.33.1

And a few days back I've upgraded to window 11

Before the crash, I was going 3 months without any crashes

Also, does anyone know how to disable Cam from auto updating?

• 2 months later...

Same problem here. Started few weeks ago. Chrome was using the GPU at 99%. All freezing. The win 10 settings are all blank. It  is weird because was appeaing only when playing a browser game. Solved by switching to Firefox. Time to time I feel like it starts to freeze for a blink but then is going by. Weird

I am having a NXZT box with this AURA crap