New PC - strange Windows freezes (probable cause: NZXT CAM)

Korben
4 hours ago, Arnau said:

yes, so 50h so far without crashes, also tried to wake it up from suspension or hibernation and it still no crashing. Also tested some games and video editors... So, going throug all scenarios where it used to easy crash... still no crashes by now. Looks solved, almos a year late but solved. 

Alright, I'll give it a try.  One more datapoint I guess.  

On 9/3/2021 at 9:01 PM, Arnau said:

24h so far, 0 crashes, guys 4.30.0 beta seems to FINALLY solve the problem. I think I'm not celebrating too early... will keep you updated.  

same for me, installed beta on Thursday, turned C-state to auto and no freezing or crashing since that day, uptime 3+ days

Memory leak is still there though 

image.png.37a8d5c8962b8756cb97ed1ff60f780b.png

I may have found another solution (71 hours uptime so far).. enabled Memory Integrity.

After doing so has caused HWMonitor to behave a bit oddly with a couple of details missing that were there before and constantly has ~1.4% CPU usage which I don't think it was doing before.. Enough to convince me HWMonitor sucks and will switch over to HWInfo after testing this fix.

23 hours ago, luckync said:

same for me, installed beta on Thursday, turned C-state to auto and no freezing or crashing since that day, uptime 3+ days

Memory leak is still there though 

image.png.37a8d5c8962b8756cb97ed1ff60f780b.png

Is "Game Hooking" enabled in the Settings screen?  If so, try turning it off and see if that leak goes away.  

1 hour ago, passedpawn said:

Is "Game Hooking" enabled in the Settings screen?  If so, try turning it off and see if that leak goes away.  

it's leaking with disabled game hooking

On 9/6/2021 at 1:35 PM, mo44 said:

I may have found another solution (71 hours uptime so far).. enabled Memory Integrity.

After doing so has caused HWMonitor to behave a bit oddly with a couple of details missing that were there before and constantly has ~1.4% CPU usage which I don't think it was doing before.. Enough to convince me HWMonitor sucks and will switch over to HWInfo after testing this fix.

With Memory Integrity enabled I eventually got a freeze as well, though I couldn't get to the task manager that time to check if it behaved the same way.

I've installed the beta version this morning and am running CAM in the background. After 3 hours there doesn't seem to be any sign of a memory leak yet so fingers crossed

anyone who installed the Beta have the annoying windows UAC message with cam_helper.exe every time boot the system?

I've been running the beta 4.30 since Monday.  No leaks, no lockups.  My computer is on continuously.  No UAC message at startup.  

10 hours ago, passedpawn said:

I've been running the beta 4.30 since Monday.  No leaks, no lockups.  My computer is on continuously.  No UAC message at startup.  

same, for me is all solved and working well finally after one year...

Hello everyone. I also have the same problems since I changed hardware and on the one hand I am happy to have found this thread. My configuration was Gigabyte aorus pro b450, ryzen 7 5800x, rx 6700xt, ram corsair 3000mhz, kraken z63 and a sata ssd. I've never had a hang on this setup. Then I switched to a b550 and an nvme, I reinstalled windows and the problems started, I didn't understand what it was, so I disassembled the b550 and went back to the b450, thinking the board was the problem of the various blocks. I left the nvme and re-installed windows, nothing to do, I kept having random freezes. Then I found this thread. I put the old ssd back and everything works, what I noticed is that in the old ssd I installed CAM and I logged in with a google account, which I had not done in the new configuration. Have any of you tried? Because with the old ssd everything works perfectly, with CAM when starting windows and the only difference between the old and the new build is his. I am now on the new build and have google login on this one as well. Let's see how it behaves.

Finally, it seems this is solved for me. No crashes, no signs of a memory leak. Good news that my expensive system can now function as expected.

But after 9 months (up to 15 months for some users) of poor customer service, communication and the inability to fix a critical software error, I am 100% done with NZXT products. This has been an awful customer experience.

On 9/13/2021 at 1:02 PM, felubowie said:

Hello everyone. I also have the same problems since I changed hardware and on the one hand I am happy to have found this thread. My configuration was Gigabyte aorus pro b450, ryzen 7 5800x, rx 6700xt, ram corsair 3000mhz, kraken z63 and a sata ssd. I've never had a hang on this setup. Then I switched to a b550 and an nvme, I reinstalled windows and the problems started, I didn't understand what it was, so I disassembled the b550 and went back to the b450, thinking the board was the problem of the various blocks. I left the nvme and re-installed windows, nothing to do, I kept having random freezes. Then I found this thread. I put the old ssd back and everything works, what I noticed is that in the old ssd I installed CAM and I logged in with a google account, which I had not done in the new configuration. Have any of you tried? Because with the old ssd everything works perfectly, with CAM when starting windows and the only difference between the old and the new build is his. I am now on the new build and have google login on this one as well. Let's see how it behaves.

Try downloading and installing the beta version. That should sort it, scroll down for download link:

https://nzxt.com/software/cam

2 hours ago, Robioto said:

‎Prova a scaricare e installare la versione beta. Questo dovrebbe ordinarlo, scorrere verso il basso per il link al download: ‎

https://nzxt.com/software/cam

Thanks for the reply, I had already thought about downloading the beta also on the new system, because I have formatted again. The last few weeks have been a nightmare. Before formatting I had tried the bbeta, I have a couple of questions: When I start windows it asks me to confirm that camhelper makes changes to the PC, is it possible not to ask it again? Another question, when will it become stable as a version? How much usually remains in beta? If the stable version comes out, just delete the beta and download that or is there something residual in the PC? I would not like to have more problems, because I am taking apart and assembling pieces and formatting all the time, I am a bit tired 😅

• 2 weeks later...

image.png.2458a2327991c80d03d8cdf9520eac83.png

Crashes are not fixed on the 4.30. Crashed when browsing Reddit, almost idle. 

On 9/24/2021 at 1:13 PM, passedpawn said:

Several weeks now with no issue with the beta.  I'm calling this one fixed.  

Le'ts hope for that one... 

So I've been using Ivan's solution (you can refer back to the previous pages) on disabling Global C state  for three months with one crash (still don't know what caused it). But after updating NZXT Cam to the latest version, i have encountered two back to back crashes. So yeah, thanks NZXT. Thanks for nothing 

So... are PC freezes not happening anymore? can I buy the Kraken now? 😅

I had been using the liquidctl program mentioned in numerous posts previously without any issues when several people posted that the new beta was working for them I decided to try it. I have gone a week so far and still no crashes. Things are definitely better. In the past I had multiple crashes per day when I used CAM. My system uses AMD 3700 CPU and 5700XT graphics with x570 motherboard from Gigabyte

On 9/11/2021 at 1:27 AM, Arnau said:

same, for me is all solved and working well finally after one year...

so I don't know what the **** happened...
I was using beta version during more than 3 weeks with pc continuously running no problems, no freezing, all good. UUuuuuuuntil. yesterday. It freezes again, more than 3 times in 2 days. So looks like the problem is here again I dont know why (maybe a beta update that I haven't realized?)

Honestly, just use liquidctl. CAM is GARBAGE. Even if they do fix it, you're not going to be able to stop it auto-installing updates and breaking something else. It's a damn liability on your system.

• 3 weeks later...

I have not had any crashes or freezes since switching  to the new beta about a month ago. I still have my liquidctl batch file ready to reuse if I do start having problems again, but so far, so good.