The Curious Case of the 12-pin Power Connector: It's Real and Coming with NVIDIA Ampere GPUs

Pickles von Brine

The connector is real, and will be introduced with NVIDIA's next-generation "Ampere" graphics cards. The connector appears to be NVIDIA's brain-child, and not that of any other IP- or trading group, such as the PCI-SIG, Molex or Intel. The connector was designed in response to two market realities - that high-end graphics cards inevitably need two power connectors; and it would be neater for consumers to have a single cable than having to wrestle with two; and that lower-end (<225 W) graphics cards can make do with one 8-pin or 6-pin connector.

The new NVIDIA 12-pin connector has six 12 V and six ground pins. Its designers specify higher quality contacts both on the male and female ends, which can handle higher current than the pins on 8-pin/6-pin PCIe power connectors. Depending on the PSU vendor, the 12-pin connector can even split in the middle into two 6-pin, and could be marketed as "6+6 pin." The point of contact between the two 6-pin halves are kept leveled so they align seamlessly.

As for the power delivery, we have learned that the designers will also specify the cable gauge, and with the right combination of wire gauge and pins, the connector should be capable of delivering 600 Watts of power (so it's not 2*75 W = 150 W), and not a scaling of 6-pin. Igor's Lab published an investigative report yesterday with some numbers on cable gauge that helps explain how the connector could deliver a lot more power than a combination of two common 6-pin PCIe connectors.

Source
This is rather interesting and honestly it a lot of ways make sense. I for one would love to have a single cable for use. The other fact for this cable is the 600W power delivery... However, the fact that this is a new cable all together, the transistion I think is going to be a bit annoying. Adapters and such are may become be necessary for older power supplies. It will be interesting how this goes. What is everyone's thoughts here?

Spoiler

GsabKhLQaVaZ9cgN_thm.jpg
K37ehKgaOdj7fSIr.jpg
6xRqaNRbVEH5M785.jpg
xysaJrZzfgv5OxWK.jpg

Looks like it is real. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

So, fancier dual 6-pin.......why

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

At least have it be compatible with two PCIe six pins... Not this proprietary garbage pile

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

so... this is just a pair of 6-pins taped together, but not only nobody makes it but it also can't take a pair of old 6-pins to make up for nobody using it...

... did anyone even ask for this?...

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

16 minutes ago, Pickles - Lord of the Jar said:

that high-end graphics cards inevitably need two power connectors; and it would be neater for consumers to have a single cable than having to wrestle with two; and that lower-end (<225 W) graphics cards can make do with one 8-pin or 6-pin connector.

Seems like Nvidia forgot that the EPS connector is a thing. And is widely used in the servermarkets. 

Why make a new connector when the EPS can allready do it in a slimmer formfactor?

I guess they dony want people forcing 6+2pins into the 8pins

>9A per pin.

Oooh. Little bit of napkin math has that setup capable of pushing a maximum of 648W. Probably don't want to do it all over just that one cable and connector tho. I wonder what Pro-OC will make of this.

Kind of hope that this is some bizarre OEM or FE GPU tomfoolery.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

So, adapters for a while, before PSUs adapt to the situation.

I edit my posts more often than not

i wonder what the real pinout is, on pcie 8 pin you have 2 sense wires so that power loss over the cable can be compensated, will this have any of that or will it be a dumb connector like the pcie 6 pin

30 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

So, fancier dual 6-pin.......why

I think the quote below is really the motivating driver behind the change. It seems like nvidia is anticipating a much higher power draw/power quality in the future which is why they're introducing this new connector. 

Its designers specify higher quality contacts both on the male and female ends, which can handle higher current than the pins on 8-pin/6-pin PCIe power connectors.

This is gonna be annoying. Especially for those with older units *cries in 2012 psu*

JOIN THE FIGHT AGAINST COVID-19 BY RUNNING FOLDING AT HOME!!

have a look at the thread below if your interested:

Home gaming and general work rig: CPU: 2700x with stock cooler Ram: Corsair vengeance pro RGB 16gb GPU: RX570 4GB (upgrading soon) Storage: 1x 500gb crucial SSD + 1tb HDD Mobo: B450-F gaming PSU: Corsair rmx550Case: Corsair 275R

F@H rig (In office and used for work too) CPU: 3600 Ram: Viper 16gb ram Mobo: B550-Tomahawk GPU's 1x 2080 super 1x 2060 super Storage: SN750 1tb Case: PC 011 Air PSU: Corsair RM850 Fans: 6x Noctua NF-12

Remember to quote me so I can see your reply!

Always Reply with a question if you have one! 😃

I assume that for higher power/quality PSU's, CableMod (and others) should be able to make a cable that uses 2 X PCIe outputs from the PSU end.

3 hours ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

so... this is just a pair of 6-pins taped together, but not only nobody makes it but it also can't take a pair of old 6-pins to make up for nobody using it...

... did anyone even ask for this?...

Pretty much, but the PCIe 6-pins are only for 75w each. It's doubling the current from the 8-pins.

The same as a 8-pin. So really it must be rated at 100w per wire vs the 25w per wire for 6-pin and the 2 additional pins are grounds enabling those 3 power pins to do 50w each. Apparently, with that wire gauge, 150w per voltage pin could be done, but would also have reliability issues. So 6x100 vs 3x25 or 3x50. 

If nVidia releases GPU's like this, then there will be PSU replacements needed to use it. You're absolutely not going to get away with two 8-pin/6-pin to 12 pin adapters unless the PSU has enough spare capacity to deal with it (eg a 1000w PSU)

Is that Intel's ATX12VO specs?

Edit: Intel ATX12VO is 10 pins not 12 pins.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

if these are required then these new ampere cards, these should be like 3x plus the performance or nvidia's so called efficiency got demolished here

otherwise I dont see why adding more power is needed

am I missing something here?

arent we suppose to be trying to draw less power and get more performance as we go forward?

Now if only PSU manufacturers would stop making PCI-E wires with OBNOXIOUS EXTRA CONNECTORS THAT HANG OFF THE SIDE OF THE GPU LIKE A HORRID TUMOR, COMPLETELY RUINING THE LOOK OF MY BUILD.

*heavy, angry breathing*

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

1 hour ago, pas008 said:

if these are required then these new ampere cards, these should be like 3x plus the performance or nvidia's so called efficiency got demolished here

otherwise I dont see why adding more power is needed

am I missing something here?

arent we suppose to be trying to draw less power and get more performance as we go forward?

Just because the maximum power of the connector is going up, doesn't mean every card will use it all the time. I doubt consumer cards will creep up much in power. What might be the case is this is for farm uses, where power density is more interesting.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

7 minutes ago, porina said:

Just because the maximum power of the connector is going up, doesn't mean every card will use it all the time. I doubt consumer cards will creep up much in power. What might be the case is this is for farm uses, where power density is more interesting.

I understand those hpc and etc use cases

And a single cable too which would be nice

this opens the door for many issues

But then again Maybe they are going this route for future mcm gpus with hopper 

YAY proprietary connectors

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

7 hours ago, Pickles - Lord of the Jar said:

Adapters and such are may become be necessary for older power supplies

Nope. Failure points and risk of melting things. I'd rather put a new PSU on the credit card for that peace of mind knowing the very expensive GPU I just bought won't set a fire.

I hope the 12 pin connector is for the FE or reference cards, proprietary connectors suck.

This sucks. Really badly. I don't want to or need to replace a psu just for a new graphics card, and I will be upgrading when 3000 series drops. Sigh

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

I'm not gonna buy new PSU after buying a brand new top end one like 3 years ago for one stupid graphic card because they decided to make new dumb standard. I don't care if I need to wire two cables to it.

Me, I will use two 6-pin to one 12-pin adapter. The aesthetics isn't a problem for me because my PC case doesn't have window side panel :D

PC #1 : Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI | i7-7700 | Cryorig C7 Cu | 32GB DDR4-2400 | LSI SAS 9211-8i | 240GB NVMe M.2 PCIe PNY CS2030 | SSD&HDDs 59.5TB total | Quantum LTO5 HH SAS drive | GC-Alpine Ridge | Corsair HX750i | Cooler Master Stacker STC-T01 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 2560x1440 @ 60 Hz (plugged HDMI port, shared with PC #2) | Win10
PC #2 : Gigabyte MW70-3S0 | 2x E5-2689 v4 | 2x Intel BXSTS200C | 32GB DDR4-2400 ECC Reg | MSI RTX 3080 Ti Suprim X | 2x 1TB SSD SATA Samsung 870 EVO | Corsair AX1600i | Lian Li PC-A77 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 2560x1440 @ 144 Hz (plugged DP port, shared with PC #1) | Win10
PC #3 : Mini PC Zotac 4K | Celeron N3150 | 8GB DDR3L 1600 | 250GB M.2 SATA WD Blue | Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro USB | Samsung Blu-ray writer USB | Genius SP-HF1800A | TV Panasonic TX-40DX600E UltraHD | Win10
PC #4 : ASUS P2B-F | PIII 500MHz | 512MB SDR 100 | Leadtek WinFast GeForce 256 SDR 32MB | 2x Guillemot Maxi Gamer 3D² 8MB in SLI | Creative Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA | 80GB HDD UATA | Fortron/Source FSP235-60GI | Zalman R1 | DELL E151FP 15" TFT 1024x768 | Win98SE

Laptop : Lenovo ThinkPad T460p | i7-6700HQ | 16GB DDR4 2133 | GeForce 940MX | 240GB SSD PNY CS900 | 14" IPS 1920x1080 | Win11

PC tablet : Fujitsu Point 1600 | PMMX 166MHz | 160MB EDO | 20GB HDD UATA | external floppy drive | 10.4" DSTN 800x600 touchscreen | AGFA SnapScan 1212u blue | Win98SE

Laptop collection #1 : IBM ThinkPad 340CSE | 486SLC2 66MHz | 12MB RAM | 360MB IDE | internal floppy drive | 10.4" DSTN 640x480 256 color | Win3.1 with MS-DOS 6.22

Laptop collection #2 : IBM ThinkPad 380E | PMMX 150MHz | 80MB EDO | NeoMagic MagicGraph128XD | 2.1GB IDE | internal floppy drive | internal CD-ROM drive | Intel PRO/100 Mobile PCMCIA | 12.1" FRSTN 800x600 16-bit color | Win98

Laptop collection #3 : Toshiba T2130CS | 486DX4 75MHz | 32MB EDO | 520MB IDE | internal floppy drive | 10.4" STN 640x480 256 color | Win3.1 with MS-DOS 6.22

And 6 others computers (Intel Compute Stick x5-Z8330, Giada Slim N10 WinXP, 2 Apple classic and 2 PC pocket WinCE)

People may end up just buying AMD's alternative instead of dealing with this bs.

So would this be just for the 3080 series? It might be a non-issue or the 3060 and 3070 (mid-range) cards. Personally, I have no intention of getting a 3080 as I'm not driving 4k anytime soon anyways.