Windows Update Assist Not Detecting USB (CAN'T UPDATE WINDOWS)

HairyChickens

Hi guys, so right now I'm trying to update this ASUS Laptop that has 32gb of flash storage (currently on version Windows 10 1803). These types of laptops are notorious for running out of space especially those HP Stream laptops. 

This means, I am unable to update this laptop via the "conventional" method of using C Drive. However when I try updating this laptop using a external storage device (16gb USB) Windows Update Assist can't detect the USB and when I press "Try Again" it keeps taking me to the page with the text listed below. 

"This PC can run Windows 10, but it requires extra attention before updating. here is why Windows 10 cannot be installed at the moment.

(tick) CPU: OK

(tick) Memory: OK

(cross) Disk space: We need more temporary space to finish your update.  Begin with step 1 to free up space, then move on to step 2 as needed. When you have finished, select Try again to finish the update.

1. Select this link to free up at least 8GB of space on the C drive.
  2. Insert an external storage device with 11GB free space available.

You may also have other options to free up space. Get help"

Is there anyway to fix this? (Besides reinstalling Windows, that is my last resort)

Thanks

Had the issue on one of those machines with tiny drive, and no, couldn't get it to work other than freeing enough space on the internal drive manually.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

You can't uninstall stuff to clear up 8GB? If you have 32GB of flash storage, you should have no problem clearing it up just a tiny bit and updating.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

You can't uninstall stuff to clear up 8GB? If you have 32GB of flash storage, you should have no problem clearing it up just a tiny bit and updating.

Nope, from memory the last time I factory reseted this computer just to install and update I only got 7gb free.......which quickly got eaten up. 

1 minute ago, HairyChickens said:

Nope, from memory the last time I factory reseted this computer just to install and update I only got 7gb free.......which quickly got eaten up. 

Did you clean up all the bloat that comes with windows? Aside from the programs that people generally don't use, there's a ton of junk that windows comes with that you should definitely find out how to remove.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

Did you clean up all the bloat that comes with windows? Aside from the programs that people generally don't use, there's a ton of junk that windows comes with that you should definitely find out how to remove.

Yup

Disable (at least temporarily) both hibernation and the pagefile. That should free a few gigs.

Use this to find other large files: http://www.aplusfreeware.com/categories/LFWV/SpaceMonger.html

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Also, this laptop is only used for light web browsing and the user is tech literate enough that he knows not to click on dodgy links or go on suspicious websites so is it still safe use Windows 10 1803 for the time being or is it too risky. (Like I said my last resort is to factory rest/reinstall Windows but I currently do not have time for it)

12 minutes ago, HairyChickens said:

Also, this laptop is only used for light web browsing and the user is tech literate enough that he knows not to click on dodgy links or go on suspicious websites so is it still safe use Windows 10 1803 for the time being or is it too risky. (Like I said my last resort is to factory rest/reinstall Windows but I currently do not have time for it)

No, it's not safe to run older versions of Windows if you're going to put the computer on a network. Clicking a link isn't your only risk vector. Vulnerabilities inherent in older libraries can be exploited simply by visiting a compromised website, or by querying a DNS server, and Microsoft decided to package feature updates with security updates, ensuring your best bet is either to stick with Windows 10 and update regularly to maintain your security posture, or switch to a platform that doesn't work this way. This is the way.

I have a similar model of laptop with limited integrated storage. Here's what I do to update it:

1. Backup everything you care about.

2. Grab your windows registry key using powershell, or whatever method you care for. in PS running as an admin, type:

(gcim -Query 'select * from SoftwareLicensingService').OA3xOriginalProductKey

3. Follow Microsoft's guide to create a Windows installation USB. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-10-create-installation-media

4. Boot from the USB. Use the disk partition utility to delete all present partitions, then create a new partition scheme. This will prevent errors related to space which Windows might present in an attempt to perform an upgrade.

5. After you're setup, run windows update, reboot, update, reboot, until it's done. Then run the Disk Cleanup utility and remove everything.

I don't condone this but if you only use this system for browsing, if the installer gives you any guff about a faulty key, choose to install windows without a key. Attempt to register with your key after step 5 is complete. If that doesn't work, run Windows keyless. There's very little harm in this for your use case.

8 hours ago, Tiberiusisgame said:

I have a similar model of laptop with limited integrated storage. Here's what I do to update it:

1. Backup everything you care about.

2. Grab your windows registry key using powershell, or whatever method you care for. in PS running as an admin, type:

(gcim -Query 'select * from SoftwareLicensingService').OA3xOriginalProductKey

3. Follow Microsoft's guide to create a Windows installation USB. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-10-create-installation-media

4. Boot from the USB. Use the disk partition utility to delete all present partitions, then create a new partition scheme. This will prevent errors related to space which Windows might present in an attempt to perform an upgrade.

5. After you're setup, run windows update, reboot, update, reboot, until it's done. Then run the Disk Cleanup utility and remove everything.

I don't condone this but if you only use this system for browsing, if the installer gives you any guff about a faulty key, choose to install windows without a key. Attempt to register with your key after step 5 is complete. If that doesn't work, run Windows keyless. There's very little harm in this for your use case.

Thanks for the reply might actually use this method. Btw since this the laptop's windows license is registered to my Microsoft account could I "restore" the same license if I logged in. 

18 hours ago, HairyChickens said:

Thanks for the reply might actually use this method. Btw since this the laptop's windows license is registered to my Microsoft account could I "restore" the same license if I logged in. 

Yes. Just log in with the same account and windows will be activated again.