PSU makes a buzzing noise on new UPS

Marasmic

Hi,

I recently bought a UPS and when connected to the UPS, my power supply makes a pulsing buzzing noise. It's like a slow gradual buzzing that fades in and fades out. I tested plugging my computer directly into the wall and the noise stopped. I bought this UPS primarily to clean up the power coming out of my wall and it seems that ironically, I've actually put noise on the line with it. Is there anything I can try to fix this or should I just return the UPS?

Also, this noise is happening when the UPS is running off wall power, not battery power.

The UPS is a BR1500MS

My PSU is a Seasonic 650 Focus+ Platinum

21 minutes ago, Marasmic said:

The UPS is a BR1500MS

That produces a modified sine-wave, not pure sine-wave. That's your problem.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

7 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

That produces a modified sine-wave, not pure sine-wave. That's your problem.

Thanks for the response. APC claims that it's a pure sinewave on battery... I don't know if that applies to the line conditioning they do to wall power or not.

Just now, Marasmic said:

Thanks for the response. APC claims that it's a pure sinewave on battery... I don't know if that applies to the line conditioning they do to wall power or not.

I assume the support-person you asked doesn't know what they're talking about, since APC's own website literally says "Stepped approximation to a sinewave", ie. modified sine-wave. Now, it doesn't mean the UPS doesn't work or anything like that. It's just that many PSUs don't like modified sine-wave that much and can be noisy because of it. There are some PSUs that don't work at all or are unstable, but those seem to be rare.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

I assume the support-person you asked doesn't know what they're talking about, since APC's own website literally says "Stepped approximation to a sinewave", ie. modified sine-wave. Now, it doesn't mean the UPS doesn't work or anything like that. It's just that many PSUs don't like modified sine-wave that much and can be noisy because of it. There are some PSUs that don't work at all or are unstable, but those seem to be rare.

Are you sure you're looking at the right UPS? This page says sinewave for the BR1500MS.

I could also just be dumb and misreading the page.

Just now, Marasmic said:

Are you sure you're looking at the right UPS? This page says sinewave for the BR1500MS.

I could also just be dumb and misreading the page.

Oh, I was, indeed, looking at a different product. My bad. Then I don't know, I suppose that does, indeed, output pure sine-wave.

27 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Oh, I was, indeed, looking at a different product. My bad. Then I don't know, I suppose that does, indeed, output pure sine-wave.

No problem. I'm wondering if I would just be better off getting a power conditioner / surge unit instead of a UPS. It seems like most of these UPS have pretty shoddy construction and cut corners for cost. I do a lot of audio production. My main goal is just to eliminate noise.