Something magical about playing a game off the disc.

centurion_08

I caught myself on experiencing unsual pleasure from playing video games off disc's rather than pc "launchers"

I'm 33, a husband, a father of 2 boys and for the past couple of months i don't have that much time to play games. 2 or 3 hours tops a day, and that's if i sacrifice my sleep.

Recently i went back to pc to play some games and it didn't feel right. Something about just launching a game (an icon) off desktop made me switch it off in minutes.

I was bored and not excited. Being distracted by all the things i can do, i coudn't focus on a goal. So i wen't back to my ps4 i popped a Resident Evil 3 disc and immediately had an urge to play the hell out of it.

Something about the box and puting a disc in the console. It felt like a celebration, me, disc and the game. I was appreciating the moment i had.

This post is a total mess and it seems like a retarded gibberish. I don't think i can properly convey what i mean by this.

Anyway, had to throw it out there.

I understand where you're coming from. That is one of the reasons I love playing handheld games, there is just something about grabbing a cartridge and placing it in the system that clicking an icon in Steam can't recreate.

It feels like more of a commitment, meaning you would want to play for a longer time (potentially).

Call me a boomer, but I still like physically owning my games. Now I understand physical games nowadays aren't the full thing; with day 0 updates and such, but with my current games I like having them physical.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

congrats.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Reading this, I remembered all the times I popped in the RollerCoaster Tycoon Disc back in the day. Feels good man.

BabyBlu (Primary): 

• CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K @ up to 5.3GHz, 5.0GHz all-core, delidded
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus XI Hero
  • RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 @ 4000MHz 16-18-18-34
  • GPU: MSI RTX 2080 Sea Hawk EK X, 2070MHz core, 8000MHz mem
  • Case: Phanteks Evolv X
  • Storage: XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB, 3x ADATASU800 1TB (RAID 0), Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
  • PSU: Corsair HX1000i
  • Display: MSI MPG341CQR 34" 3440x1440 144Hz Freesync, Dell S2417DG 24" 2560x1440 165Hz Gsync
  • Cooling: Custom water loop (CPU & GPU), Radiators: 1x140mm(Back), 1x280mm(Top), 1x420mm(Front)
  • Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB (Cherry MX Brown)
  • Mouse: MasterMouse MM710
  • Headset: Corsair Void Pro RGB

Roxanne (Wife Build):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ up to 5.0GHz, 4.8Ghz all-core, relidded w/ LM
  • Motherboard: Asus Z97A
  • RAM: G.Skill Sniper 4x8GB DDR3-2400 @ 10-12-12-24
  • GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 w/ LM
  • Case: Corsair Vengeance C70, w/ Custom Side-Panel Window
  • Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Silicon Power A80 2TB NVME
  • PSU: Corsair AX760
  • Display: Samsung C27JG56 27" 2560x1440 144Hz Freesync
  • Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB
  • Keyboard: GMMK TKL(Kailh Box White)
  • Mouse: Glorious Model O-
  • Headset: SteelSeries Arctis 7

BigBox (HTPC):

• CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3600 @ 3600MHz 14-14-14-28
  • GPU: MSI RTX 3080 Ventus 3X Plus OC, de-shrouded, LM TIM, replaced mem therm pads
  • Case: Fractal Design Node 202
  • Storage: SP A80 1TB, WD Black SN770 2TB
  • PSU: Corsair SF600 Gold w/ NF-A9x14
  • Display: Samsung QN90A 65" (QLED, 4K, 120Hz, HDR, VRR)
  • Cooling: Thermalright AXP-100 Copper w/ NF-A12x15
  • Keyboard/Mouse: Rii i4
  • Controllers: 4X Xbox One & 2X N64 (with USB)
  • Sound: Denon AVR S760H with 5.1.2 Atmos setup.

Harmonic (NAS/Game/Plex/Other Server):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 6700
  • Motherboard: ASRock FATAL1TY H270M
  • RAM: 64GB DDR4-2133
  • GPU: Intel HD Graphics 530
  • Case: Fractal Design Define 7
  • HDD: 3X Seagate Exos X16 14TB in RAID 5
  • SSD: Inland Premium 512GB NVME, Sabrent 1TB NVME
  • Optical: BDXL WH14NS40 flashed to WH16NS60
  • PSU: Corsair CX450
  • Display: None
  • Cooling: Noctua NH-U14S
  • Keyboard/Mouse: None

NAS:

• Synology DS216J
  • 2x8TB WD Red NAS HDDs in RAID 1. 8TB usable space

Oh, I get what you mean, even if I mostly play on PC I love to go back to my Xbox One, Xbox 360 or even PS2 and putting discs in, proceeding to put hours into gaming, I recently bought a Switch as well and nostalgia hit me so much, the last time I placed a cartridge in a handheld device was when I had the Nintendo DS lite and I was 12 years old.

I swear I may have at least 5GB (if not more) occupied by these, it's insane. I literally have no need for a launcher for one game of "brand x" and then, all around, ads about other games that I don't really care about, I already have steam, why should they put an extra launcher packaged into it? Jeez.

Whenever I can I buy the physical editions, in this regards I'm even starting a vynil collection.

For me I don't really find a satisfying feeling disc games as opposed to plain software and launchers but there are a couple of things I love about physical games. 

• It is a better way to show off a collection rather than a load of icons on a screen 
  • That new game feeling of taking that plastic wrapper off before opening the disc box
  • this doesn't apply to games as much more to do with music but artwork on the disc box and the disc itself
  • Unlike software you will always have that copy of the game eg if you get a new console (of same brand obvs ).

I agree physical media is cool  

I share this appreciation for physical media...drawing a parallel to my Kindle Fire HD, I purchased one enthusiastically in 2013 with the thought that books were more convenient in digital form. I've read an extensive library of books while enjoying classical music through my headphones all with the kindle (I do enjoy this), but it absolutely fails to capture the look, feel, and overall experience of flipping through a paperback...looking at that phat stack of pages previously perused, the smell of old history and paper...I love my Kindle collection, but I hope that libraries stick around for a while longer. 

Cheers!

Jordan

Case: Silverstone ML08B-H  l  Motherboard: ASUS ROG-strix B450i  l  CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600  l  RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance 3200  l  GPU: AMD RX5700 Reference Card by XFX  l  PSU: Corsair SF450 80+ Platinum  l  SSD: Crucial MX500 M.2  l  HDD: Seagate Firecuda 2TB 

Yeahhhh :D

growing up, buying a game would be such an event. me and my 2 brothers would save up our money and get a new game like every month. so the 3 of us would go to a store and buy a game that the 3 of us agreed on. really fond memories of those times :3

now that we are already older and on our separate ways. i still find that same kinda fondness when purchasing a game. like watching all the reviews. waiting for a sale. then when buying the game. i like to smell the game. and read the case alot. hahaha

There is no such thing as a bad PC, there are only BETTER PCs

What's next!? A physical medium for music!? Preposterous!

I only like physical because it's annoying as shit to have to update something every time I want to play a game, or when games are removed from market. I guess it's nice to have shelves of games, but it gets messy super quick when you have a really large collection or a bunch of consoles. My buddy has his games on the shelf split between 3 generations of Xbox, 4 generations of Playstation, Dreamcast, 4 generations of Nintendo, Genesis... maybe something else. It's actually kind of funny, he almost has more consoles than games.

In any case, how do you deal with generation spanning titles like Halo which have been on all 3 Xbox's, soon to be 4? It's easier to have them in something like Galaxy 2.0 to quickly browse. Same deal with movies, we have DVDs as a backup, but using Plex is way simpler as a browser.

#Muricaparrotgang

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/17/2020 at 6:54 AM, JZStudios said:

In any case, how do you deal with generation spanning titles like Halo which have been on all 3 Xbox's, soon to be 4? It's easier to have them in something like Galaxy 2.0 to quickly browse. Same deal with movies, we have DVDs as a backup, but using Plex is way simpler as a browser.

See, i should be encouraged by this. Nice collection i one place, at my fingertips. The thing is.... i'm not. Whenever i'm playing something on pc i can't simply play the game. I'm gonna play the game with msi afterburner on, to see my fps and other shit. Alt tabbing every 10min to check "something" I just can't focus. It's stronger than me. But give me the same game on a ps4 or switch or whatever and i'll sit my ass down, glued to the fucking thing for hours. Feeling like i'm doing something special, enjoying myself. I dunno, cheers.