Traffic Sahping with Gigabit Fiber

Matt_98

Hey Guys

I'm setting up a shared broadband system using a gigabit line and need a router that can limit trraffic per client by specific values and still run at gigabit speed. I currently have a UDM Pro 4 nit that dosen't seem to have the traffic shaping for anything other than wireless clients. Any suggestions?

6600K - ASUS Z270i Gaming ITX - 8GB Corsair  Vengence LPX DDR4 2400MHZ - EVGA 1070SC - 120GB HyperX Savage SSD - CX430 PSU:|

PSU tier list- 

how many clients will you have?

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 minute ago, Matt_98 said:

Hey Guys

I'm setting up a shared broadband system using a gigabit line and need a router that can limit trraffic per client by specific values and still run at gigabit speed. I currently have a UDM Pro 4 nit that dosen't seem to have the traffic shaping for anything other than wireless clients. Any suggestions?

Hey, so I’ve been doing some traffic shaping similar to what you mentioned. I used pfSense to get the job done. You can shape it the way you like. There are lots of various options build into it. 

Just now, Skiiwee29 said:

how many clients will you have?

Currently 30 but this may increase to 60, all using basic broadband routers at the end to separate networks

6600K - ASUS Z270i Gaming ITX - 8GB Corsair  Vengence LPX DDR4 2400MHZ - EVGA 1070SC - 120GB HyperX Savage SSD - CX430 PSU:|

PSU tier list- 

4 minutes ago, HawkJ said:

Hey, so I’ve been doing some traffic shaping similar to what you mentioned. I used pfSense to get the job done. You can shape it the way you like. There are lots of various options build into it. 

I'll look into it but I think the owners of the building would prefer a proper router from a recognisable brand.(Not that a pfsense box wouldn't be proper lmao)

PSU tier list- 

2 minutes ago, Matt_98 said:

I'll look into it but I think the owners of the building would prefer a proper router from a recognisable brand.(Not that a pfsense box wouldn't be proper lmao)

You probably would want to get a Layer 3 switch then that can do traffic shaping and policing. Cisco 3750 comes to mind. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

2 minutes ago, Matt_98 said:

Haha. Well they can get the NetGate products as well if pfSense is something they like but want a box with pre-installed pF.

1 minute ago, Skiiwee29 said:

You probably would want to get a Layer 3 switch then that can do traffic shaping and policing. Cisco 3750 comes to mind. 

Yes, that would be an option too. Using a switch to do the traffic shaping. Less load on the main router. 

4 minutes ago, HawkJ said:

Yes, that would be an option too. Using a switch to do the traffic shaping. Less load on the main router. 

Silly me has already purchased 3 layer two switches that I really don't want to have to sell. so the router option would be best for me, unfortunately I'm on a budget and don't know if it would stretch to a negate appliance that could handle the gigabit line

PSU tier list- 

12 hours ago, Matt_98 said:

Silly me has already purchased 3 layer two switches that I really don't want to have to sell. so the router option would be best for me, unfortunately I'm on a budget and don't know if it would stretch to a negate appliance that could handle the gigabit line

Hmm. I’ve only had experience with pfSense, Cisco firepower, Cisco ASA and DDWRT router. Maybe someone else can suggest you something better suited for your needs.