How to keep files after installing new MOBO

• I purchased a new mobo cuz my previous one got damaged , now i will have to install windows on my SSD which already contains windows ( same PC , just new MOBO

but i assume i have to clean install new windows with a usb stick just like i did when i first built the pc which means formatting ( clean delete )  the SSD 

• The thing is that i also have an HDD which contains files ( photos , videos ) that i want to keep , also on the pc home screen i have some ''text documents'' in which ive saved many passwords and critical information for all kinds of stuff 
  • How do i avoid deleting any of these ?

Move the necessary files to the HDD, and don't format it when reinstalling. Format just the boot drive, you won't lose any data contained on the HDD this way.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Just now, Morgan MLGman said:

Move the necessary files to the HDD, and don't format it when reinstalling. Format just the boot drive, you won't lose any data contained on the HDD this way.

Can i do that without a different PC ? Can i move files with no windows installed ?

There's nothing about changing your motherboard that requires reinstalling Windows. At the worst, Windows will simply make you reactivate, but a motherboard change alone shouldn't cause that.

The only thing I would recommend would be to uninstall any motherboard specific drivers, first, if you can: stuff like Wifi, audio, etc. It will just make it cleaner for Windows to boot on the new board. However, even that shouldn't really matter.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

8 minutes ago, GirvanaWantsBinnieBalls said:

now i will have to install windows on my SSD which already contains windows

Why though?

If similar MoBo then the Windows should run without any problem.

I edit my posts more often than not

You don't have to format the drive.  Just reinstall Windows on the same drive if you need to, and all your files in My Documets etc will go to a folder called Windows.old on your C drive if you have the space for it.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Just now, Tan3l6 said:

Why though?

I asked a programmer and he told me to clean install windows on my SSD which means deleting evything it contains and installing windows 

1 minute ago, Samfisher said:

You don't have to format the drive.  Just reinstall Windows on the same drive if you need to, and all your files in My Documets etc will go to a folder called Windows.old on your C drive if you have the space for it.

But then i will have 2 windows intalled in one drive right ?

Just now, GirvanaWantsBinnieBalls said:

But then i will have 2 windows intalled in one drive right ?

No.  All your Windows files will be in the Windows.old folder, and you'll only have the fresh Windows installation.

5 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

There's nothing about changing your motherboard that requires reinstalling Windows. At the worst, Windows will simply make you reactivate, but a motherboard change alone shouldn't cause that.

The only thing I would recommend would be to uninstall any motherboard specific drivers, first, if you can: stuff like Wifi, audio, etc. It will just make it cleaner for Windows to boot on the new board. However, even that shouldn't really matter.

So ur telling me its possible to just plug everything on the MOBO and windows will run ? * 

Just now, Samfisher said:

No.  All your Windows files will be in the Windows.old folder, and you'll only have the fresh Windows installation.

I mean windows will run* 

I mean windows will run* 

No.  There's only 1 Windows now after your reinstall.

1 minute ago, GirvanaWantsBinnieBalls said:

So ur telling me its possible to just plug everything on the MOBO and the pc will run ?

This is also likely.  Try it out before reinstalling for no reason.

So ur telling me its possible to just plug everything on the MOBO and the pc will run ?

Yep. I just switched out my own motherboard. Easy.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

7 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

Why though?

If similar MoBo then the Windows should run without any problem.

It was Asrock now its MSI , they contain diff BIOs and properties 

2 minutes ago, GirvanaWantsBinnieBalls said:

It was Asrock now its MSI , they contain diff BIOs and properties 

If the chipset is same, there is no problem.

Maybe from Intel to AMD or vice versa would be trickier.

I also have swapped motherboard (From chipset Z270 to Z490)  without any need of reinstall. Just had to aquire a new Windows 10 key.

I edit my posts more often than not

30 minutes ago, GirvanaWantsBinnieBalls said:
  • I purchased a new mobo cuz my previous one got damaged , now i will have to install windows on my SSD which already contains windows ( same PC , just new MOBO

but i assume i have to clean install new windows with a usb stick just like i did when i first built the pc which means formatting ( clean delete )  the SSD 

• The thing is that i also have an HDD which contains files ( photos , videos ) that i want to keep , also on the pc home screen i have some ''text documents'' in which ive saved many passwords and critical information for all kinds of stuff 
  • How do i avoid deleting any of these ?

dont install windows , just plug the disk  and configure in bios from what will boot,

window 10 will config itself  and star on the new mobo  , when you log in you can copy all your files