DPC latency issues with NVLDDMKM and DXGKRNL.SYS

Go to solution Solved by Gagliano20,

So it turned out to be the ram speed, really weird, they're rated at 3.000 mhz but if i turn them anything about 2134mhz, i get the latency issue. turning them down seems to have solved the issue. i've to test this more but that's whats seem to be the issue causing my dpc issue. really happy if it's solved now but no more warrenty on my banks :c

Hello everyone! As the user stated above, I know this is an old post, but I my self is running into this same issue.

So far, I've reset my CMOS, lowered my ram speed, even disabled some devices via device manager, but no luck so far.

I'm confident to say this is a driver issue for Windows 10. When I disabled the display driver, everything in Latency Mon reported fine.

If anyone can help me with this annoying AF issue, I would gladly appreciate it!

Thanks!

image.thumb.png.e3c615dfbdbf1fc8baf5225d9e89182e.png

image.png.328fa32cea0be800a6c5bad99eed45ec.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2021 at 5:05 AM, Kiok said:

Hello everyone! As the user stated above, I know this is an old post, but I my self is running into this same issue.

So far, I've reset my CMOS, lowered my ram speed, even disabled some devices via device manager, but no luck so far.

I'm confident to say this is a driver issue for Windows 10. When I disabled the display driver, everything in Latency Mon reported fine.

If anyone can help me with this annoying AF issue, I would gladly appreciate it!

Thanks!

image.thumb.png.e3c615dfbdbf1fc8baf5225d9e89182e.png

image.png.328fa32cea0be800a6c5bad99eed45ec.png

Hey man!

I've registered as well to follow the topic with the same issue.

My rig is older, and had 0 issue until last November. From that time, my pc has constant latency issue, cracking noise, dx errors etc.

Reinstalled win countless times, used fresh and old drivers, tried every suggestions so far and nothing.
GTX 970 in: whole system stutters but gpu and vram stress tests run stable. GTX 970 out: system runs smooth as hell.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/15/2020 at 5:04 PM, TehDwonz said:

I had this exact problem on a previous system. It turned out to be that my GFX card was sharing an IRQ with a USB controller, firing off interrupts.

Annoyingly, modern motherboards don't let you tweak IRQ assignments, as it's controlled in the OS. It can be done in Windows, but it takes more effort that it's worth. Open "msinfo32.exe" and go to "Conflicts/Sharing" and see what your GFX card is sharing with, if anything. I bet it's USB...

image.png.febbecdf3e2c7e23f5801f3efb3b077a.png

To resolve it, you don't need to re-install Windows, but here is what I did:

1] Uninstall all PCI/PCIe cards using Device Manager. Select to remove drivers if asked. Remember to show "hidden devices" and clear those too.
    (Use DDU to clear the GFX drivers properly too)
2] Uninstall whatever device is sharing an IRQ with the GFX (but obv not if it's something vital!).

3] Shut down

4] Remove all power from your motherboard, and the battery - use the power switch to drain any caps.

5] Physically remove the GFX card and other PCI/PCIe devices from the machine.

6] Boot to BIOS and load defaults.

7] Boot to Windows

8] Shut down again and power off normally to re-install the GFX card.

9) Boot to Windows and install the basic GFX drivers, without GFExperience. Just GFX, PhysX and HDAudio. Test it.
10) If that is all good, add the remaining devices back, if any.

Only annoyance is if you have no onboard GFX/Video, then you have to have it installed for step 7 onwards.. In this case, make a note of the keypresses needed to load BIOS defaults, and do that step blind (F10 and enter to save, when it starts rebooting again, hit the power button to turn off before it loads Windows).

However you do it, you need at least one power-on without the GFX card before re-adding it.

Hope that makes sense?

I've just upgraded my pc, and got new parts except the GPU, but I can't run any game because of this stupid latency issue, the FPS is very low

image.thumb.png.472debec4bb2238bfcb8535cd8b4b109.png

I tried CMOS resetting but didn't have any difference, here's the IRQ as well:

1592485451_Screenshot(1).png.20ffa1f3d15c8effc9bd5027848dd759.png

image.png.d4452a027dea4f4fe57ac7958069830f.png

Do you have any other suggestion to fix this DPC latency issue? I can't run any game, the fps is so BAD!!!

• 2 months later...
On 9/3/2021 at 9:12 PM, SMH123 said:

I've just upgraded my pc, and got new parts except the GPU, but I can't run any game because of this stupid latency issue, the FPS is very low

image.thumb.png.472debec4bb2238bfcb8535cd8b4b109.png

I tried CMOS resetting but didn't have any difference, here's the IRQ as well:

1592485451_Screenshot(1).png.20ffa1f3d15c8effc9bd5027848dd759.png

image.png.d4452a027dea4f4fe57ac7958069830f.png

Do you have any other suggestion to fix this DPC latency issue? I can't run any game, the fps is so BAD!!!

Hey. I recently posted about the same problem. Same IRQs, same driver latency issues and even the same graphics card!

To solve this, I've tried about 35 different things (counting even small things like reinstalling windows or resetting BIOS/CMOS / I also can provide a list of all the things I've tried).

I hope this helps you, because it helped me (I am aware that this is an old thread).

What I did to solve it:

1. Downloaded MSI Mode Utility V2.

2. Ran the software as administrator (don't forget to unzip the folders first).

3. When running the software, I could see various devices (on the left) and MSI boxes (on the right). It, also, provides information about IRQs and other things (variables?).

4. Made sure the MSI box is checked (Picture below).

5. Restarted the system and the stutter was gone.

6. If it's still there, go back to MSI Mode Utility and check the MSI box for the High Definition Audio Controller.

P.S.

Another thing that might have influenced the whole system was not using XMP profiles, but manually entering the values for RAM.

I am using G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz and on the sticks there's a sticker showing the tested timings.

In my case it was CL16-18-18-38 and that's what I entered in BIOS.

Untitled.png

On 11/27/2021 at 1:57 PM, Forest_IV said:

Hey. I recently posted about the same problem. Same IRQs, same driver latency issues and even the same graphics card!

To solve this, I've tried about 35 different things (counting even small things like reinstalling windows or resetting BIOS/CMOS / I also can provide a list of all the things I've tried).

I hope this helps you, because it helped me (I am aware that this is an old thread).

What I did to solve it:

1. Downloaded MSI Mode Utility V2.

2. Ran the software as administrator (don't forget to unzip the folders first).

3. When running the software, I could see various devices (on the left) and MSI boxes (on the right). It, also, provides information about IRQs and other things (variables?).

4. Made sure the MSI box is checked (Picture below).

5. Restarted the system and the stutter was gone.

6. If it's still there, go back to MSI Mode Utility and check the MSI box for the High Definition Audio Controller.

P.S.

Another thing that might have influenced the whole system was not using XMP profiles, but manually entering the values for RAM.

I am using G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz and on the sticks there's a sticker showing the tested timings.

In my case it was CL16-18-18-38 and that's what I entered in BIOS.

Untitled.png

Pardon if I misled anyone, this did not solve the problem - it did decrease the latencies for a short time.

Back to square 1.

On 12/1/2021 at 11:28 PM, Forest_IV said:

Pardon if I misled anyone, this did not solve the problem - it did decrease the latencies for a short time.

Back to square 1.

Hey man! Thanks for trying at least 🙂

I still have the same issue as you. No solution so far...

3 hours ago, L4D1K said:

Hey man! Thanks for trying at least 🙂

I still have the same issue as you. No solution so far...

Have you tried different hardware?

I've tried an identical CPU with the same problem.

Have yet to try different RAM and a different GPU

On 12/4/2021 at 1:31 PM, Forest_IV said:

Have you tried different hardware?

I've tried an identical CPU with the same problem.

Have yet to try different RAM and a different GPU

I tried my card in a  different environment, my brother has an identical vga. Worked in his pc without any issue.

My guess is that Win10 does not like the old Z97 series mobos. So I will buy a used mobo for my spec, (b85 or h81) and will see.

• 2 months later...

I have the exact same issue - did you manage to fix it?

CPU i7 14700K | CPU Cooler Noctua NH-U12A | Motherboard MSI Pro Z690-A | GPU Zotac Airo RTX 4080 | RAM 32 GB GSkill Ripjaws V 4400
Mhz |
 Monitor Alienware AW2721D / Gigabyte M28U | PSU ASUS ROG Strix 850G

• 4 weeks later...

I've just recently discovered this issue and have been SCOWERING for solutions, games and general pc usage have been terrible and using my hdmi audio passthrough on my 3080 has introduced popping and crackling alongside stuttering and lower fps in games. Interestingly this only started happening to me after I had moved my pc into my new case (fractal torrent compact) and I could not for the life of me figure out what I could've done with identical hardware for that to start.

Looking through what @TehDwonz had posted about checking for irq conflicts I didn't actually come across anything sticking out except that my AMD extensible usb controller was using an extremely similar address (down to the hex value with one number off) which set me off, my new case came with a front usb c cable header. I went and unplugged it while the pc was shut down and rebooted, no audio issues, no more stuttering, no more fps loss, seriously my fps went back up by like 40% in most of my games.

so yes my solution was simply unplugging the front usb c header from my motherboard, I'm assuming it was using the same pci bus and EVEN WITH NOTHING PLUGGED INTO IT, was causing issues. I don't think without this post and having only had the issue narrowed down to a case change would I have figured this out, you could spend hours and hours tracking down the specific device in device manager and messing with windows until you get it right but I'd honestly recommend anyone having this issue to just unplug their usb c header.

My specs are
5900x
RTX 3080 strix
ASUS x570-e gaming rog strix mobo

so maybe asus motherboards are the ones affected or a faulty header, I can't say, I'm just happy I actually fixed this, maybe this will help someone else, cheers

EDIT: I also ended up having to unplug my rgb headers as that would also cause the problem, I'll probably experiment with this some more to see what I can get away with/what the usb controller is tying into since I know aura sync on asus motherboards does have a usb controller device for the rgb headers as well

• 2 months later...
On 12/10/2021 at 9:48 AM, L4D1K said:

I tried my card in a  different environment, my brother has an identical vga. Worked in his pc without any issue.

My guess is that Win10 does not like the old Z97 series mobos. So I will buy a used mobo for my spec, (b85 or h81) and will see.

Well we tried different scenarios.

It seems this issue lies within win10. I changed my rig to R5 3600, B450 mobo, win 11. All issues gone.
Bought a an Asus b85 mobo for my brother, win 10, new cpu, the issue came up again and persists.

Sadly we are unable to try the W11 with 4th gen intel.

• 4 months later...

47857810_Screenshot2022-10-04233900.thumb.png.8d57818c073e4d7d81c901214d3972ee.pngHello hello everyone!

I hope it's not too late to join in on the fun...

Just installed my RTX 3080 ROG Strix 12gb on my Asus TUF Z390 PRO Gaming Mobo and surprise surprise - latency problem.

Funny thing though is that the GPU is performing incredibly well and I detected the latency problem through my Audio actually. It started crackling and popping and I have a dedicated system diagnostics for it and that is how I caught it. It used to run 

But back to the Asus thing- looks like this is not only connected to Asus Mobos... since I have one and had a GTX 1080 from MSI with no problems whatsoever.

Looks like an "Asus GPU paired with Asus mobo" problem.

That being said, did someone manage to get rid of this latency issue without disabling devices and without downclocking RAM? I am yet to try all these.

BTW I have a Paragon restore image and this will be the first thing that I try. If all fine after restore I'll come back and let you know.

Second step will be clearing CMOS and third step - reinstalling Win11 from scratch.

Wish me luck and I'll be back soon with updates on what happened 🙂

Cheers all!

P.S. No "obvious" IRQ conflicts BUT! there are several devices with funny IRQ numbers, please see image below. Any idea on why this might happen?1508099635_Screenshot2022-10-04233608.thumb.png.095c287a32791ea1115e6b52dda7f544.png1025808649_Screenshot2022-10-04233540.png.c948f3a3758d923908f0ee21e216af81.png

On 7/16/2020 at 3:04 AM, TehDwonz said:

I had this exact problem on a previous system. It turned out to be that my GFX card was sharing an IRQ with a USB controller, firing off interrupts.

Annoyingly, modern motherboards don't let you tweak IRQ assignments, as it's controlled in the OS. It can be done in Windows, but it takes more effort that it's worth. Open "msinfo32.exe" and go to "Conflicts/Sharing" and see what your GFX card is sharing with, if anything. I bet it's USB...

image.png.febbecdf3e2c7e23f5801f3efb3b077a.png

To resolve it, you don't need to re-install Windows, but here is what I did:

1] Uninstall all PCI/PCIe cards using Device Manager. Select to remove drivers if asked. Remember to show "hidden devices" and clear those too.
    (Use DDU to clear the GFX drivers properly too)
2] Uninstall whatever device is sharing an IRQ with the GFX (but obv not if it's something vital!).

3] Shut down

4] Remove all power from your motherboard, and the battery - use the power switch to drain any caps.

5] Physically remove the GFX card and other PCI/PCIe devices from the machine.

6] Boot to BIOS and load defaults.

7] Boot to Windows

8] Shut down again and power off normally to re-install the GFX card.

9) Boot to Windows and install the basic GFX drivers, without GFExperience. Just GFX, PhysX and HDAudio. Test it.
10) If that is all good, add the remaining devices back, if any.

Only annoyance is if you have no onboard GFX/Video, then you have to have it installed for step 7 onwards.. In this case, make a note of the keypresses needed to load BIOS defaults, and do that step blind (F10 and enter to save, when it starts rebooting again, hit the power button to turn off before it loads Windows).

However you do it, you need at least one power-on without the GFX card before re-adding it.

Hope that makes sense?

Hey man,

Did the same - no result!

One crucial question though - between steps 4 and 6, DO YOU RETURN THE BATTERY IN THE MOBO?

I am asking because I returned it - so maybe that is why it did not work for me...

Thanks! 

Hi, just wanted to let u know that I was able to solve the latency issue of the NVIDIA card (RTX 3070 Super).

msinfo32 showed that NVIDIA was competing for resources with another device, Intel PEG10 - 460D

image.png.3f358872bdef8d729b22fdf9d5663a53.png

In Device Manager I found the physical device name

image.png.8fa38ac7ffc93de4d8d14e17abb9989f.png

I looked up in Google what kind of device it is

image.png.8c0ca604941dac83717a547836517007.png

so it was the built-in Intel GPU competing for resources with my NVIDIA card.

I didn't even know that the built-in GPU was active as I have only one ultrawide monitor connected to the NVIDIA card.

So then I made the following settings:

Go to NVIDIA control panel / Manage 3D settings / Power management mode 

set it to "Prefer maximum performance"

Using the MSI mode utility

image.thumb.png.3e40b502a691e04c785a0b002c9c10ea.png

Those of you who are attentive might now ask, why I activated msi for Intel PEG10 - 460. Afterall the supported mode does not say anything about whether this device supports msi mode. Well, look at the irq column. The value there is -2. A negative IRQ value means that the device is capable of using msi mode so therefore there was no risk in activating the msi option.

Stop and re-start  the trace in LatencyMon

NVIDIA should no longer cause a latency spike.

PS I could instead deactive in BIOS the built-in Intel GPU and by doing this I would most reduce the latency even more but I might add a 2nd monitor in the future so therefore I left it active and just reduced its interrupt priority.

• 3 months later...

Same issues here, I see no IRQ conflicts whatsoever, I don't get crackling or popping, but I do get a pretty big delay of 200ish ms for all audio, regardless of the source.image.png.0c592ce81ca8f5506b911d6313cf176a.png

image.png.15c1532f8e301593bf4d579ebc69e6c2.png

I've tried nearly every fix listed here other than the ones that suggest any form of Windows reinstall, to no avail. I'm running Win 10 22H2 (latest at the time of posting).

image.thumb.png.858b3f01809364efe26728d9b5508727.png

These are the only significant drivers in the list according to LatencyMon, I've found there to be no working fix (for me) for the nvlddmkm.sys driver yet, but this thread might prove useful to anyone having the same issue: https://www.ntlite.com/community/index.php?threads/discussion-nvidia-display-driver-nvlddmkm-sys-dpc-latency.2924/

wdf01000.sys seems to also be unfixable atm. I have no clue what could be the culprit or what could be any sort of fix for this, but it's really annoying.

Update: I fixed it! I noticed that LatencyMon also showed a "hard pagefault count" which, for me, went up to around 1000 within a minute and checking online, that's bad. I then looked into possible fixes and came across changing the pagefile. I then proceeded to see what is a good pagefile size, and everyone seems to recommend 1.5 times total RAM at minimum and 4 times total RAM maximum, and as I have 16gb I set the new values to 24576mb and 65536mb respectively (they were 5000 and 15000 before, which seems very bad), and after that LatencyMon looks like this:

image.thumb.png.5fc23eb0c9579fa25fcba5002e0fa92f.png

image.thumb.png.a907453f5b3d34518edaa7eecee11f68.png

The latency has been knocked down to around 10ms (LatencyMon shows bigger numbers for some reason), which is pretty good.