DPC latency issues with NVLDDMKM and DXGKRNL.SYS

Go to solution Solved by Gagliano20,

So it turned out to be the ram speed, really weird, they're rated at 3.000 mhz but if i turn them anything about 2134mhz, i get the latency issue. turning them down seems to have solved the issue. i've to test this more but that's whats seem to be the issue causing my dpc issue. really happy if it's solved now but no more warrenty on my banks :c

Hello LTT People, 
I have an big issue since over 6 months and i can't find anything at all that helps, 

I'll start with my setup, my specs are

• Windows 10 Pro (BRAND NEW INSTALLED CLEAN)
  • MSI Z270 Carbon Pro (BIOS, latest)
  • Intel i5 7600K Delidded + at stock speeds at the moment with custom loop.
  • 4x4GB Corsair Dominator RAM (3000mhz but at 2133 atm.)
  • MSI GTX 980 TI (stock atm)
  • samsung nvme 970 SSD (250GB) boot drive
  • Corsair HX850 V2

alright here is the issue:

1100433933_dpclatencyissue.thumb.png.438afddffe4e479abe6acb062b26a6ee.png

Sometimes, especially when i put my pc to sleep and wake it from that, but also just randomly without any reason, my audio starts to crackle alot, and videos are shown with audio delay, so videos + sound are out of sync, my pc slows down, warzone (only game i play) drops from usually 110 fps to 15-30 fps, and when i run latencymon it always shows that nvlddmkm.sys and dxgkrnl are the culprits, so i googled the issue and i did EVERYTHING that people recommend, i'll state some of my attempts:

• Update all drivers, especially gpu drivers. also downgraded those to 382-ish
  • Didn't install the NVIDIA audio drivers, (but also tried it without any audio drivers at all) but i need my realtek audio for my sound setup, i do not need the nvidia sound drivers because i dont run audio from my monitors so i kept them uninstalled.
  • changed my power plans on both the gpu + pc itself, also disabled threading.
  • TOTALLY formatted my C drive and installed windows from blank, didn't have the issue, reinstall gpu drivers and the issue returned. if i uninstall nvidia drivers it again seems to be fixed.
  • Disabled the High precision even timer 
  • Fully resetted my bios to stock.
  • checked all my hardware and cables, it's flawless, I'm a perfectionist.

This issue is killing me, i'm out of idea's and to be honest i do not understand dpc latency or what it is, so i'm bit out of my league with this issue. i tried all that i could find and it didn't help beside not installing any gpu drivers which is not really an option

i don't ever post here, incase i did something wrong, left something out, or anything at all, please tell me so i can fix it, 
Hope we can get this fixed, regards 
Dennis

23 minutes ago, Gagliano20 said:

Hello LTT People, 
I have an big issue since over 6 months and i can't find anything at all that helps, 

[snip!]

This issue is killing me, i'm out of idea's and to be honest i do not understand dpc latency or what it is, so i'm bit out of my league with this issue. i tried all that i could find and it didn't help beside not installing any gpu drivers which is not really an option

I had this exact problem on a previous system. It turned out to be that my GFX card was sharing an IRQ with a USB controller, firing off interrupts.

Annoyingly, modern motherboards don't let you tweak IRQ assignments, as it's controlled in the OS. It can be done in Windows, but it takes more effort that it's worth. Open "msinfo32.exe" and go to "Conflicts/Sharing" and see what your GFX card is sharing with, if anything. I bet it's USB...

image.png.febbecdf3e2c7e23f5801f3efb3b077a.png

To resolve it, you don't need to re-install Windows, but here is what I did:

1] Uninstall all PCI/PCIe cards using Device Manager. Select to remove drivers if asked. Remember to show "hidden devices" and clear those too.
    (Use DDU to clear the GFX drivers properly too)
2] Uninstall whatever device is sharing an IRQ with the GFX (but obv not if it's something vital!).

3] Shut down

4] Remove all power from your motherboard, and the battery - use the power switch to drain any caps.

5] Physically remove the GFX card and other PCI/PCIe devices from the machine.

6] Boot to BIOS and load defaults.

7] Boot to Windows

8] Shut down again and power off normally to re-install the GFX card.

9) Boot to Windows and install the basic GFX drivers, without GFExperience. Just GFX, PhysX and HDAudio. Test it.
10) If that is all good, add the remaining devices back, if any.

Only annoyance is if you have no onboard GFX/Video, then you have to have it installed for step 7 onwards.. In this case, make a note of the keypresses needed to load BIOS defaults, and do that step blind (F10 and enter to save, when it starts rebooting again, hit the power button to turn off before it loads Windows).

However you do it, you need at least one power-on without the GFX card before re-adding it.

Hope that makes sense?

15 minutes ago, TehDwonz said:

I had this exact problem on a previous system. It turned out to be that my GFX card was sharing an IRQ with a USB controller, firing off interrupts.

Annoyingly, modern motherboards don't let you tweak IRQ assignments, as it's controlled in the OS. It can be done in Windows, but it takes more effort that it's worth. Open "msinfo32.exe" and go to "Conflicts/Sharing" and see what your GFX card is sharing with, if anything. I bet it's USB...

1] Uninstall all PCI/PCIe cards using Device Manager. Select to remove drivers if asked. Remember to show "hidden devices" and clear those too.
2] Uninstall whatever device is sharing an IRQ with the GFX (but obv not if it's something vital!).

3] Shut down

4] Remove all power from your motherboard, and the battery - use the power switch to drain any caps.

7] Boot to Windows

9) Boot to Windows and install the basic GFX drivers, without GFExperience. Just GFX, PhysX and HDAudio. Test it.

Only annoyance is if you have no onboard GFX/Video, then you have to have it installed for step 7 onwards.. In this case, make a note of the keypresses needed to load BIOS defaults, and do that step blind (F10 and enter to save, when it starts rebooting again, hit the power button to turn off before it loads Windows).

However you do it, you need at least one power-on without the GFX card before re-adding it.

Hope that makes sense?

Alight i'll try that right now, i have a intel 630 on the 7600k which is enabled, about the sharing conflicts, there are LOADS! i'll note them here but it might be huge, if you could point out what you'd think the actually issue is that'd be nice, bc it also shows the realtek + 980 ti which i both need, the realtek is the optical on my pc

I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti
I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF    PCI-to-PCI Bridge

I/O Port 0x00000070-0x00000070    Motherboard resources
I/O Port 0x00000070-0x00000070    System CMOS/real time clock

IRQ 11    Intel(R) 200 Series Chipset Family SMBUS - A2A3
IRQ 11    Intel(R) 200 Series Chipset Family Thermal subsystem - A2B1

I/O Port 0x0000E000-0x0000E07F    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti
I/O Port 0x0000E000-0x0000E07F    PCI-to-PCI Bridge

Memory Address 0xFD000000-0xFDABFFFF    Motherboard resources
Memory Address 0xFD000000-0xFDABFFFF    PCI Express Root Complex

Memory Address 0xFF000000-0xFFFFFFFF    Motherboard resources
Memory Address 0xFF000000-0xFFFFFFFF    Legacy device

Memory Address 0xDF200000-0xDF2FFFFF    Intel(R) 200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port #5 - A294
Memory Address 0xDF200000-0xDF2FFFFF    ASMedia USB 3.1 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.10 (Microsoft)

IRQ 16    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti
IRQ 16    High Definition Audio Controller

Memory Address 0xDF100000-0xDF103FFF    Standard NVM Express Controller
Memory Address 0xDF100000-0xDF103FFF    Intel(R) 200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port #9 - A298

Memory Address 0xDE000000-0xDEFFFFFF    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Memory Address 0xDE000000-0xDEFFFFFF    PCI-to-PCI Bridge

Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF    PCI-to-PCI Bridge
Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF    PCI Express Root Complex

Memory Address 0xC0000000-0xCFFFFFFF    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Memory Address 0xC0000000-0xCFFFFFFF    PCI-to-PCI Bridge

I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti
I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB    PCI-to-PCI Bridge

I/O Port 0x0000FFFF-0x0000FFFF    Motherboard resources

2 minutes ago, Gagliano20 said:

Alight i'll try that right now, i have a intel 630 on the 7600k which is enabled, about the sharing conflicts, there are LOADS! i'll note them here but it might be huge, if you could point out what you'd think the actually issue is that'd be nice, bc it also shows the realtek + 980 ti which i both need, the realtek is the optical on my pc

[snipped]

Ok, now check the IRQs list.
image.png.b9b232aca24293df5b43603cff3f4431.png

You can see mine shares with my soundcard - but it has decent drivers so it behaves. What is yours shared with?

2 minutes ago, TehDwonz said:

Ok, now check the IRQs list.
image.png.b9b232aca24293df5b43603cff3f4431.png

You can see mine shares with my soundcard - but it has decent drivers so it behaves. What is yours shared with?

seems to be the high def audio controller, weird about that is, i had the latency issue before i had even audio drivers installed

irq sharing.png

1 minute ago, Gagliano20 said:

seems to be the high def audio controller, weird about that is, i had the latency issue before i had even audio drivers installed

hmm, but the one that shares 16 is the on-board HDAudio for the GFX card? Unlikely to be that at fault.

Are all of your chipset drivers etc up to date? Might be worth seeing if Snappy Driver Installer (get the Lite version) has anything newer?

2 minutes ago, TehDwonz said:

hmm, but the one that shares 16 is the on-board HDAudio for the GFX card? Unlikely to be that at fault.

Are all of your chipset drivers etc up to date? Might be worth seeing if Snappy Driver Installer (get the Lite version) has anything newer?

actually right now not, y-day all my drivers were up-to-date, i totally wiped windows today so i'm on a clean install and rn the only two things actually installed are the nvidia + audio drivers, but i kid you not, i started your list, and started by uninstalling the intel hd 630 (which i use for a little stat screen i run) and at the moment my latency seems to be "Okay" 
i'm gonna be sad if it actually is the intel hd, but that would probably be fix-able, but i'll report back, gonna reinstall all drivers and see if it keeps this up, i'm also gonna try to re-install the intel hd and see if that breaks it again, i'll report back, thank you kindly for helping me

4 minutes ago, Gagliano20 said:

actually right now not, y-day all my drivers were up-to-date, i totally wiped windows today so i'm on a clean install and rn the only two things actually installed are the nvidia + audio drivers, but i kid you not, i started your list, and started by uninstalling the intel hd 630 (which i use for a little stat screen i run) and at the moment my latency seems to be "Okay" 
i'm gonna be sad if it actually is the intel hd, but that would probably be fix-able, but i'll report back, gonna reinstall all drivers and see if it keeps this up, i'm also gonna try to re-install the intel hd and see if that breaks it again, i'll report back, thank you kindly for helping me

Sounds promising - looking more like just a misbehaving driver than actual IRQ issues on top. Latest Intel drivers I assume?

1 hour ago, TehDwonz said:

Sounds promising - looking more like just a misbehaving driver than actual IRQ issues on top. Latest Intel drivers I assume?

actually not managing to re-install the intel hd, but i still SOMETIMES get a short high interrupt messaage but no high isr or dpc routine at this moment, reinstall all now, but the intel hd does not show up at all anymore + the drivers give me a "not supported" issue so lol, i'll report back when i know more, it's really weird

On 7/16/2020 at 2:44 AM, TehDwonz said:

So it came back shortly, it has happend loads of times before that it's gone temporary, but now it's back ALWAYS, so i tried to remove my sound drivers to see if that'd clear it up, and it does take the sound device from 16, and just leaves the gpu on 16 but that's not helping, as soon as i disable the 980 ti it doesn't show any issues at all, when enabling the 980 it instantly gets back, i tried to disable loads of stuff in device manager and see if there was some conflict that'd make it work but nothing beside the gpu seems to be creating the issue.

MSINFO.png

12 hours ago, Gagliano20 said:

So it came back shortly, it has happend loads of times before that it's gone temporary, but now it's back ALWAYS, so i tried to remove my sound drivers to see if that'd clear it up, and it does take the sound device from 16, and just leaves the gpu on 16 but that's not helping, as soon as i disable the 980 ti it doesn't show any issues at all, when enabling the 980 it instantly gets back, i tried to disable loads of stuff in device manager and see if there was some conflict that'd make it work but nothing beside the gpu seems to be creating the issue.

Just to rule it out - try changing the USB 3.1 driver from the Microsoft one, to an ASMedia one. ASMedia USB 3.1 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.10 (Microsoft)

If you use device manager to get the device ID, you can see which chip it is here: https://devicehunt.com/view/type/pci/vendor/1B21

Then grab the drivers here: https://www.usb3-drivers.com/asmedia-usb3-drivers.html

If it's not that, then it's either some other driver messing about, or some hardware issue.

2 hours ago, TehDwonz said:

Just to rule it out - try changing the USB 3.1 driver from the Microsoft one, to an ASMedia one. ASMedia USB 3.1 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.10 (Microsoft)

If you use device manager to get the device ID, you can see which chip it is here: https://devicehunt.com/view/type/pci/vendor/1B21

Then grab the drivers here: https://www.usb3-drivers.com/asmedia-usb3-drivers.html

If it's not that, then it's either some other driver messing about, or some hardware issue.

actually have the asmedia one, but it shows both intel usb 3.0 extensible and asmedia usb 3.1 extensible, but would trying to disable them help? bc when i disable them i still get dpc latency.

111214885_usb3.1.thumb.png.5f505af18b0c364207506e2a058c4846.png

2 hours ago, Gagliano20 said:

actually have the asmedia one, but it shows both intel usb 3.0 extensible and asmedia usb 3.1 extensible, but would trying to disable them help? bc when i disable them i still get dpc latency.

111214885_usb3.1.thumb.png.5f505af18b0c364207506e2a058c4846.png

Try actually uninstalling (and remove software if it asks). I would try removing both the Intel and ASMedia one that is hidden in that shot. Then run the ASMedia installer and reboot. The trouble is, many drivers use a common library, and just installing "over" something existing can often leave the old faulty part behind, because when the new installer sees the library is present already, it leaves it alone (correct behaviour). This is one of the reasons why people use DDU to wipe GPU drivers.

But it's a nightmare thing to track down, I feel the pain! Took so long to sort mine out, as there aren't clear signs as to what is happening to cause the interrupts.

Perhaps it might be worth DDU-ing the GPU drivers again, and after that, select the latest studio version of the nvidia drivers, instead of the "game ready" ones it defaults to?

9 hours ago, TehDwonz said:

Try actually uninstalling (and remove software if it asks). I would try removing both the Intel and ASMedia one that is hidden in that shot. Then run the ASMedia installer and reboot. The trouble is, many drivers use a common library, and just installing "over" something existing can often leave the old faulty part behind, because when the new installer sees the library is present already, it leaves it alone (correct behaviour). This is one of the reasons why people use DDU to wipe GPU drivers.

But it's a nightmare thing to track down, I feel the pain! Took so long to sort mine out, as there aren't clear signs as to what is happening to cause the interrupts.

Perhaps it might be worth DDU-ing the GPU drivers again, and after that, select the latest studio version of the nvidia drivers, instead of the "game ready" ones it defaults to?

i'll try all of that right now, the weird thing is, i had dpc latency RIGHT AFTER CLEAN INSTALLING WINDOWS, with just the nvidia drivers installed, NOTHING ELSE, not even chipset or sound drivers, just the nvidia drivers, as a test, when i remove them, it stops the latency issues

1 minute ago, Gagliano20 said:

i'll try all of that right now, the weird thing is, i had dpc latency RIGHT AFTER CLEAN INSTALLING WINDOWS, with just the nvidia drivers installed, NOTHING ELSE, not even chipset or sound drivers, just the nvidia drivers, as a test, when i remove them, it stops the latency issues

Which version was it? Latest is 451.77.

14 minutes ago, TehDwonz said:

it was something in the 451, i also tried 382 just for luls, both had it, i just tried to uninstall both asrock + intel, the intel only has a uninstall option, and when done it automatic reinstalls it even with automatic driver installation OFF, the asrock i disabled and deleted but still DPC issues i also unplugged all usb 3 ports and hooked up my house/keyboard to usb 2.0 also no effect

54 minutes ago, TehDwonz said:

studio drivers are only for 10th gen, 16th gen and 20th gen, no 980 ti support :C ,i ddu'd everythin including sound and i can't disable the intel usb 3.0 it'll auto reinstall and i'm re-installing nvidia with latest but nothing so far has done the trick, would using an soundcard maybe help?

1 hour ago, TehDwonz said:

my god, i just cleared my bios using cmos reset, that way it was fully reset, and for the first time ever i've just played a game of warzone without dpc latency and it was glorious, 100 fps now feel like they are supposed to feel without randomy drops to 20-40 fps, it's amazing! so it must been something in the bios. the only thing i could think about is either my ram that's at 3ghz or me having legacy boot disabled and just running UEFI or whatever it's called, beside that i'd not know but i'll tweak the bios later and just gonna enjoy warzone rn without any latency issues :D

3 hours ago, TehDwonz said:

update, so i found the culprit, it actually was the ramclock speed, i'm suprised, my ram is rated at 3000 mhz, if i go above the stock 2134mhz, it'll do this latency issue, atleast i tried dropping from 3ghz to 2.5ghz and it still had it, put it back to 2134mhz and works flawless. so i guess i'll see what i can do with these banks

So it turned out to be the ram speed, really weird, they're rated at 3.000 mhz but if i turn them anything about 2134mhz, i get the latency issue. turning them down seems to have solved the issue. i've to test this more but that's whats seem to be the issue causing my dpc issue. really happy if it's solved now but no more warrenty on my banks :c

5 hours ago, Gagliano20 said:

Glad you found it - that's an odd one for sure. The only thing it might be, is if your RAM is one of the models that only works at 3000MHz with 2 sticks max. There are several 3000MHz Corsair Dominator models on the QVL for that motherboard that have that limitation. What is the full model number of your RAM?

2 hours ago, TehDwonz said:

Glad you found it - that's an odd one for sure. The only thing it might be, is if your RAM is one of the models that only works at 3000MHz with 2 sticks max. There are several 3000MHz Corsair Dominator models on the QVL for that motherboard that have that limitation. What is the full model number of your RAM?

i think it'd "CMD8GX4M2B3000C15"

• 1 month later...
On 7/16/2020 at 2:04 AM, TehDwonz said:

3] Shut down

7] Boot to Windows

Hope that makes sense?

My god... I've just created an account in here just to say BIG BADASS THANKS. I've been struggling with this same exact problem as OP described for years and it wasn't problem with RAM speed...

I have second shitty PC with Asrock motherboard, AMD FX-6300 and GTX750 Ti just hooked up to TV and it would randomly give high dxgkrnl.sys latency. I could never figure it out as it would sometimes work okay, sometimes didn't especially when I unplugged the PC for long time and let it discharge completely. Sometimes it would also break after Windows update. I've lost tons of time reinstalling, fiddling with drivers and whatnot...

It was indeed an IRQ conflict between GFX card and USB.

Fixed it by going thru these steps. It was right in front of my eyes... When I experienced this issue I could clearly see the lag with moving any window with USB mouse quickly around the desktop. I should have figured it out years ago lol. Thanks mate, you're golden. 

47 minutes ago, Reizoko said:

My god... I've just created an account in here just to say BIG BADASS THANKS. I've been struggling with this same exact problem as OP described for years and it wasn't problem with RAM speed...

I have second shitty PC with Asrock motherboard, AMD FX-6300 and GTX750 Ti just hooked up to TV and it would randomly give high dxgkrnl.sys latency. I could never figure it out as it would sometimes work okay, sometimes didn't especially when I unplugged the PC for long time and let it discharge completely. Sometimes it would also break after Windows update. I've lost tons of time reinstalling, fiddling with drivers and whatnot...

It was indeed an IRQ conflict between GFX card and USB.

Fixed it by going thru these steps. It was right in front of my eyes... When I experienced this issue I could clearly see the lag with moving any window with USB mouse quickly around the desktop. I should have figured it out years ago lol. Thanks mate, you're golden. 

Glad it helped someone! It bugged me for quite a while too. 

• 9 months later...
On 9/2/2020 at 9:47 AM, TehDwonz said:

Glad it helped someone! It bugged me for quite a while too. 

I know the post is old ..
But please can anyone help me? I have exactly the same problem and can not figure out how to fix it!