guitar/bass solo head made with linux and raspberry pi (?) is it only a weird dream?

y0ur5h4d0w

hey guys! i'm a guitar player and i absolutely love the sound of a good old valve amp, but when i'm home i (sadly) don't have an actual soundproofed room so i have to play my guitar on PC (windows 10) with the software amplitube to emulate a solo head and a cabinet... i was thinking if a raspberry pi could run such a software in order to make a sweet amp emulatori that can easly be carried everywhere... right now, on windows i use an external usb sound card and the ASIO4ALL drivers in order to make amplitube 4 and my guitar to "communicate" properly... what's needed on the guitar side is:

input jack
output jack
a display to see what's the name of the preset used
a footswitch or something similiar to switch profiles
a signal amplifier in order to make 8 or 16 ohm speakers to work properly

it sounds doable to me but i'm not much knowledged about raspberry and raspberry software, if i'm right there's pre-amps and input and output jacks for raspberry... so maybe it's even not much complicated? what's your thoughts?

Metalhead with a huge itch for PC gaming, video editing and audio recording, currently playing in a band and pwning n00bs in the summoners rift ;)

18 hours ago, y0ur5h4d0w said:

Snip

For audio setup on linux read this:

https://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/raspberrypi

next, you will need some guitar amp VST which can work on Linux as well as Linux VST host. Personally I never used anything like that on Linux so Google is your friend. 

For the input you need something with a high impedance. There are several schematics circulating on the internet. Maybe you can try JFET input stage of 1w amp project. Did not try it personally but it seems that it would fit the purpose. 

For footswitch one or more GPIO pins of Raspberry Pi can be used do detect switch press. Also, some of those pins are I2C and SPI busses which can be used for display output. I am afraid that there is no out of the box solution that would fit those requirements and you would probably have to write your own software to do that. 

And lastly for the output you can connect audio out of Raspberry to something like this 

http://diy.thcustom.com/shop/10w-power-amp-pcb/

6 hours ago, Niksa said:

For audio setup on linux read this:

https://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/raspberrypi

next, you will need some guitar amp VST which can work on Linux as well as Linux VST host. Personally I never used anything like that on Linux so Google is your friend. 

For the input you need something with a high impedance. There are several schematics circulating on the internet. Maybe you can try JFET input stage of 1w amp project. Did not try it personally but it seems that it would fit the purpose. 

For footswitch one or more GPIO pins of Raspberry Pi can be used do detect switch press. Also, some of those pins are I2C and SPI busses which can be used for display output. I am afraid that there is no out of the box solution that would fit those requirements and you would probably have to write your own software to do that. 

And lastly for the output you can connect audio out of Raspberry to something like this 

http://diy.thcustom.com/shop/10w-power-amp-pcb/

thanks so much :D i'll read everything as i have some time ^^ if i get to acutally realize this project i might even make a guide about what i did :D

Metalhead with a huge itch for PC gaming, video editing and audio recording, currently playing in a band and pwning n00bs in the summoners rift ;)