Updating mothboard and cpu

So my custom built desktop basically quit on me so I was thinking instead of just replacing the Mobo/CPU, I would upgrade them to a newer socket type. I currently have an Asus a88x pro Mobo (ATX), and an amd athlon x4 860k CPU. This is a budget pc so what would be the current equivalent of my current Mobo and cpu? (Current as in am4 I think the newest socket type is). I'm fairly sure it's my mobo that quit on me but with my CPU I either need an fm2+ Mobo that already has the bios updated, or with the USB flashback option. Prefer to cheaper route but if I can upgrade to newer hardware do only a little more than what a replacement Mobo cost I'll do that. But again, prefer a Mobo and cpu that are equivalent and are basically ready to go or has the flashback on it as I won't be able to use a later gen CPU to update bios. Thanks

probably ryzen 3 or 5 and a b450 or b550 mobo

PC specs:

Ryzen 9 3900X overclocked to 4.3-4.4 GHz

Corsair H100i platinum

32 GB Trident Z RGB 3200 MHz 14-14-14-34

RTX 2060

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge wifi

NZXT H510

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

2 TB WD hard drive

Corsair RM 750 Watt

ASUS ROG PG248Q 

Razer Ornata Chroma

Razer Firefly 

Razer Deathadder 2013

Logitech G935 Wireless

For the money, the Ryzen 3, 4 core CPU's are unbeatable IMO.  Basically the power of an Intell i7 7700k for a fraction of the cost.  I do hesitate to suggest B450 with Ryzen 3000 processors though, I've seen a lot of people have trouble with that combo....BUUUT, if you do go B450, just do your due diligence and see how that specific board has worked with Ryzen 3000.  Entry level B550 and X570 boards aren't much more than B450 boards, and will have no problem running the R3 chips. (like $25 - $50 price increase, if you can swing it, its worth it to me)

14 minutes ago, pstarlord said:

I've seen a lot of people have trouble with that combo

Wait. What trouble?

14 minutes ago, pstarlord said:

has worked with Ryzen 3000

MSI's MAX boards are zen 2 ready. And most b450 boards ship with the new bios at this point. 

4 hours ago, vkhaos said:

Thanks

Budget?

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

16 minutes ago, pstarlord said:

I do hesitate to suggest B450 with Ryzen 3000 processors though, I've seen a lot of people have trouble with that combo....

Yeah, not sure what you've been seeing but B450 is pretty much the only chipset being recommended for Zen 2. If a person doesn't know the exact reason why they need PCIe4, they have no need for X570 or B550; besides, the good boards have enough VRM capacity for every single AM4 chip currently on the market.

3 hours ago, b3nd0vah said:

Yeah, not sure what you've been seeing but B450 is pretty much the only chipset being recommended for Zen 2. If a person doesn't know the exact reason why they need PCIe4, they have no need for X570 or B550; besides, the good boards have enough VRM capacity for every single AM4 chip currently on the market.

Hey, just passing along my experiences and what I've seen.  I've had a 3700x since a month or so after launch, on an X570 board with no issue.  I remember quite a few posts, even on this forum, of people having trouble with B450 and Zen 2 chips early on.  (and not just the BIOS update)  As I said in my post, I suggested to make sure to do the due diligence and just be certain it's a good fit.  I didn't say it wouldn't work, and I didn't say it wasn't a popular choice. Just said to do the research first.