Did I kill my MOBO?

FishNuggets01
  • I was just installing my gpu and I accidentally scratched 2 traces on my mobo.  I haven’t installed the cpu yet so I haven’t powered it up. Does it look like I killed them or will it be fine?

image.jpg

image.jpg

2 minutes ago, FishNuggets01 said:
  • I was just installing my gpu and I accidentally scratched 2 traces on my mobo.  I haven’t installed the cpu yet so I haven’t powered it up. Does it look like I killed them or will it be fine?

image.jpg

image.jpg

Doesn't look like you've cut through them; only way to know for certain is to test the build on the m/board box.

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

Mine looks way worse but still works, I slipped with a screwdriver and got mine.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

I am junior in highschool so I have been stuck in my house since march, and because of the shortage of pc parts rn they have been slowly coming in. I know that I am comitting a cardinal sin against the pcmr by not testing it to make sure It can post, but I have more than enough time on my hands to take it apart if need be, and this project has been the only thing keeping me sane through all of this. In short, I know I shouldn't, but I really want to start working on it and I have plenty of time on my hands if I need to take it apart and start again.

I probobly shouldn't worry about it to much because it doesn't look too deep, I think they are just the traces for the k/m ports, and it would really suck if i did kill it but it is an 70 dollar matx b450 board, so it could be worse. I am sure it will be fine though, Thank you all!

9 minutes ago, NineEyeRon said:

Mine looks way worse but still works, I slipped with a screwdriver and got mine.

did you end up crossing any of the traces?

10 minutes ago, FishNuggets01 said:

I probobly shouldn't worry about it to much because it doesn't look too deep, I think they are just the traces for the k/m ports, and it would really suck if i did kill it but it is an 70 dollar matx b450 board, so it could be worse. I am sure it will be fine though, Thank you all!

Take it easy from here on in... GL

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

I love the rare occasions when I get to use this phrase, one of my trademark lines, in a totally helpful, non-ironic way:

Only one way to find out!

Piece it together on top of the motherboard box and see if it'll boot into Linux off a live USB.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Hypnotoad's RAM is dying, his motherboard is acting like the 6-year-old AsRock it is, a couple of SATA ports have just stopped working, but the RGB remains. The RGB always remains. Hypnotoad lives. All glory to the Hypnotoad.