Looking for advice in regards to potentially upgrading from a Intel 7700k to AMD

Hi everyone,

New poster but I have a few questions and am looking for advice/opinions on which direction I should go.

My current setup is actually still quite good, but a friend of mine is looking to get a usable gaming PC (and is on a budget). I am considering selling most of my current system (everything minus the GPU) and then buying some upgraded gear myself.

My current specs are:

i7 7700k, ASUS z20a mobo, 1080ti, 16gb ram

I am a programmer who works from my home PC more now than I used to, but I primarily game on this PC (mostly FPSs). I play on a 1440p monitor and tend to favor playing on higher graphics settings as long as I can keep the framerate around 100. With my current setup, I have noticed that playing a stream/youtube/video on a second monitor (or having a bunch of browser tabs open) can max out my CPU usage and I will start to get some low frame rates/lower quality gaming.

My question is: is it worth upgrading (would I see significant multitasking performance increases)? What should I go with? AMD or Intel and which chip/mobo should I get?

I have done some research and know that AMD does handle multitasking much better than Intel these days but is not quite as good in single core processing (gaming) - my coworkers PC can compile code much faster than mine and hes running an older AMD chip so theres certainly some value there, but I'd also want to make sure I wouldn't be almost downgrading my gaming experience. Budget is not a huge concern. I have been looking at the 3700x, 3900x, 10900k, 10700k, 32GB ram and if I go the AMD route getting a x570 board.

I am also aware that there are new AMD chips coming out this year. Is that worth waiting for? My friend is quite anxious to get gaming, and I admit I'd probably wait for sure if I wasn't trying to get them started sooner - but even if I did wait for the next gen AMD chips, is that (speculatively) the correct choice?

Thanks!

4 minutes ago, itgKIRA said:

Is that worth waiting for?

If you can. Then yes. 

What for zen 3. 

Edited by TofuHaroto

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

2 minutes ago, itgKIRA said:

Hi everyone,

New poster but I have a few questions and am looking for advice/opinions on which direction I should go.

My current setup is actually still quite good, but a friend of mine is looking to get a usable gaming PC (and is on a budget). I am considering selling most of my current system (everything minus the GPU) and then buying some upgraded gear myself.

My current specs are:

I am a programmer who works from my home PC more now than I used to, but I primarily game on this PC (mostly FPSs). I play on a 1440p monitor and tend to favor playing on higher graphics settings as long as I can keep the framerate around 100. With my current setup, I have noticed that playing a stream/youtube/video on a second monitor (or having a bunch of browser tabs open) can max out my CPU usage and I will start to get some low frame rates/lower quality gaming.

My question is: is it worth upgrading (would I see significant multitasking performance increases)? What should I go with? AMD or Intel and which chip/mobo should I get?

I have done some research and know that AMD does handle multitasking much better than Intel these days but is not quite as good in single core processing (gaming) - my coworkers PC can compile code much faster than mine and hes running an older AMD chip so theres certainly some value there, but I'd also want to make sure I wouldn't be almost downgrading my gaming experience. Budget is not a huge concern. I have been looking at the 3700x, 3900x, 10900k, 10700k, 32GB ram and if I go the AMD route getting a x570 board.

I am also aware that there are new AMD chips coming out this year. Is that worth waiting for? My friend is quite anxious to get gaming, and I admit I'd probably wait for sure if I wasn't trying to get them started sooner - but even if I did wait for the next gen AMD chips, is that (speculatively) the correct choice?

Thanks!

The Intel Core i7 7700K is still a very good processor, you may want to consider a RAM upgrade though for better performance. I wouldn't recommend upgrading the processor at the moment (only the RAM to at least 32GB), wait until Ryzen 4th generation is launched since it's going to have a lot better single-threaded performance to compare against Intel, it's already available on laptops and will soon be there on the desktop market.

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

Your CPU now is still good. So your better to wait and then look and next gen Ryzen

CPU - I9 10900 | CPU Cooler - Corsair Hydro Series H100x AIO | Motherboard -  Aorus B460 PRO AC | RAM -G.SKILL Ripjaw V series 4x8GB 2666MHZ | Graphics Card - Gigabyte RTX 3070  | Power Supply - Cooler Master 650w  | Storage -  Working on a new Spicy 

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro

27 minutes ago, itgKIRA said:

my coworkers PC can compile code much faster than mine and hes running an older AMD chip so theres certainly some value there

Your coworker have more threads than your 4x8 7700k. simple math.

You definitely wanna wait. Just look at how Ryzen destroyed Intel in the laptop class.

Or buy a used cheap ryzen, and change it later.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

28 minutes ago, itgKIRA said:

Hi everyone,

My current specs are:

Thanks!

Unless you got money to burn, i'll say the same as everyone: Wait.

There is only two consumer graphic cards better than your 1080Ti and you will literally spend a thousand bucks for 20 FPS or so in most AAA tittles for a card that will be 2 years old in a few months.

As for the CPU, yeah you might benefit from a 3700X or more for compiling code, but in single thread it's slower tha your 7700K . You'll need a good X570 board and they are expensive AF. You'll also will need RAM that's clocked higher than 2666 and turn on DOCP (XMP for Ryzen). Again another thousand bucks at the least.

Spoiler

CPU Ryzen 5900X - Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX X570-E - RAM 16GB of G.SKILL NEON 3600 -
GPU EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 - Case Mastercase H500p mesh - PSU Seasonic Focus Gx-850 -
Corsair MP600 NVME 1 Tb, Samsung 960 PRO 500 Gb & 2 Seagate Baracuda 7200 RPM 2TB in stripe -
Display two VG27AQ 2K monitor - Cooling Corsair H150 Pro - 

Keyboard G-910 W/ Romer G tactile - Mouse G 502 Hero (wired) -
Sound Logitech X-530 and Razer Tiamat headphones

Operating System Windows 10

One thing I'll add, that I haven't come across, forgive me if it's been mentioned already, is that for your friend buying a used 7700k (unless you basically give it to him) isn't a good value with when he could do his build with one of the new 4 core Ryzen 3 CPU's available.  So, for that purpose, I'd say keep your 7700k and if you are still wanting to swap to Ryzen, then sell your current stuff to other people.  Unless, you're like me, and you want to hook your buddy up with a good deal and just enjoy upgrading.  haha.