Do Ryzen 3000 CPUs turbo the same as Intel?

I'm used to just looking at locked intel CPUs that have a decent all-core turbo speed because they were cheaper than K series CPUs and that's still the case, but now AMD apparently offers better value than even that according to everybody.

My question is will I have the same plug-n-play as far as my CPU being able to turbo on all cores or is the advertised boost speeds for Ryzen 3000 only on a single core? If not how high do Ryzen boost on all cores?

I never really had any interest in learning to overclock because I never saw the point.

No. very different.

AMD is by thermals

Intel is by timer.

1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

No. very different.

AMD is by thermals

Intel is by timer.

What does by timer mean?

Just now, Okjoek said:

What does by timer mean?

The maximum boost on Intel chips is for an X amount of time and it throttles down to a slightly lower boost state.

Just now, Okjoek said:

What does by timer mean?

Intel CPUs don't really hold the advertised clocks as, at stock ,those clocks are held for 90-120 seconds depending on the board

3 minutes ago, Okjoek said:

Boost is irrelevant as a whole, though. The current landscape is such that intel makes very little sense unless you have a 2080 To for 1080p and you want 600 FPS in Fortnite or league of.legends. for the vast majority of games, cards, resolutions and use cases, Ryzen offers the same or better performance at a lower price tag, less heat output and loweer power target.

TLDR, unitl intel move away from Skylake derivatives on 14nm, you can safely ignore their existence

The advertised boost clocks are single-core, both for Intel and AMD. 

All-core boost is a bit different, in the sense that Intel has a set all-core boost for their CPUs, so it will hold that set frequency only until you run into the default turbo time limit (which can be disabled), and then it will drop its speeds to maintain the rated TDP of your chip (or unless you're thermal throttling, of course).

Ryzen on the other hand boosts its cores more dynamically per se, as in it takes into account temperatures, power and voltage in real-time, so if you run your CPU like 10C cooler, you might be getting very slightly higher frequencies on your cores compared to if you were running hotter. PBO (AMD's automated overclocking) basically pushes those limits/thresholds further, though keep in mind that Zen 2 CPUs come without a whole lot of overclocking headroom, so don't expect anything to major out of PBO or manual overclocking (except for overclocking the Infinity Fabric which has the largest effect, but still generally quite minimal because there's not a whole lot of headroom on most chips). 

Basically, Ryzen CPUs boost more similarly to how modern GPUs boost themselves.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

Boost is irrelevant as a whole, though. The current landscape is such that intel makes very little sense unless you have a 2080 To for 1080p and you want 600 FPS in Fortnite or league of.legends. for the vast majority of games, cards, resolutions and use cases, Ryzen offers the same or better performance at a lower price tag, less heat output and loweer power target.

TLDR, unitl intel move away from Skylake derivatives on 14nm, you can safely ignore their existence

Well it's Planetside 2 where I spend most of my time and gaming is the primary workload for the PC

Planetside 2 atleast the way I understand it is heavily CPU bound

However since it is just an entertainment/gaming system and it doesn't make me any money by being faster I want to upgrade as cheaply as possibly while also heavily outperforming my old i5 3450 in games.

My case will be reused and my PSU is less than a year old so I don't need to pay for those.

4 minutes ago, Okjoek said:

Well it's Planetside 2 where I spend most of my time and gaming is the primary workload for the PC

Planetside 2 atleast the way I understand it is heavily CPU bound

However since it is just an entertainment/gaming system and it doesn't make me any money by being faster I want to upgrade as cheaply as possibly while also heavily outperforming my old i5 3450 in games.

My case will be reused and my PSU is less than a year old so I don't need to pay for those.

With your system, unless you intend to get a 2080 Ti for 1080p gaming, intel makes absolutely no sense at all. Get a Ryzen 3 3300X if you want to go cheap or a 3600 if you want the best value. Pair it with a B450 Pro4, an Arctic eSports 34 and 16GB DDR4 3200 dual channel memory and you're golden.