What is going on with my display?

ChrisZH

Ok so I have been having this flickering issue on a specific side of my monitor. I thought it was my gpu failing so I got a new one but it is still there. I have not changed to a new displayport cable yet but I have one coming in today that's rated for 8k. Nothing else happens with my display, it doesn't go black or anything like that. Could it be my monitor going bad or do you think it's more likely my cable going bad. I've had this cable for like 4-5 years at this point. I would've tried another port for my monitor but it only has one DP connection.

1 minute ago, BlueScope819 said:

Can we get model numbers of both your monitor and GPU and stuff? Try DDUing drivers and reinstalling them

Acer nitro xv272u and I'm using an EVGA XC Ultra 2080 ti

Just now, BlueScope819 said:

Okay, try and DDU drivers and reinstall and let me know what happens.

That's the first thing I did when it happened again. But the same thing was happening on my old Radeon VII. I recently upgraded a couple days ago

That's why I'm wondering if it's my cable or monitor. The only thing that hasn't changed is it's the same cable and monitor.

6 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

Seems like a monitor problem but it won't hurt to swap the cable

What do you think could be wrong with my monitor? It's basically a brand new monitor. Only under a year old, it never did this before. I've kept everything up to date, bios chipset gpu. Everything. The cable I'm using is an old cable that came with an old monitor. I guess I should try an HDMI connection and see what happens.

7 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

That would help to narrow down the point of failure. Either it's a physical problem with the panel, or the PC driving it. If you have a laptop with an HDMI port you can try that as well to see if you get the same result.

When it started happening at the beginning it was directly after I updated chipset drivers. It was like 2 updated ago. I have a 3800x on an x570

2 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

I generally don't update drivers unless something isn't working how it should. You can try and roll back the drivers.

Was under the impression that chipset drivers were like gpu drivers and be kept up to date

32 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

I've never updated any drivers besides windows update and GPU drivers

So got my new cable in, so far I haven't seen the issue anymore. No idea if it was the cable yet though.