Broken USB 3.0 front header pin

Hi guys, First time building so go easy lol.

I was placing my USB 3.0 cable into the front header and a pin bent, and while trying to straighten it, just broke off. So I'm now stuck with no USB 3.0 on my front header...

I've seen alternative I can get a "PCIe usb 3.0 card" that I can plug into my motherboard is that the route I should take?

Also with my back USB ports, where the MB connects to, I cannot find a cable that I clip into "JUSB1 and JUSB2" - is that neccessary or are the ports already powered when i put power to the board from my PSU? I can live with 2.0 ports for now, Just not too sure!

Thanks

2 minutes ago, frantelle said:

is that the route I should take?

u could get a pcie card with internal usb 3.0 header, or you could use a internal 2.0 to 3.0 adapter, if you have spare 2.0 header on motherboard and you dont need 3.0 speeds

3 minutes ago, frantelle said:

Also with my back USB ports, where the MB connects to,

not sure what this is

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Just now, Moonzy said:

u could get a pcie card with internal usb 3.0 header, or you could use a internal 2.0 to 3.0 adapter, if you have spare 2.0 header on motherboard and you dont need 3.0 speeds

not sure what this is

Sorry for my bad terminology, So where the IO shield is I got all my Ports, USB port, Network port, audio jack etc - Do these connect to anything directly or are they powered when the Motherboard is powered by the PSU?

Just now, frantelle said:

Sorry for my bad terminology, So where the IO shield is I got all my Ports, USB port, Network port, audio jack etc - Do these connect to anything directly or are they powered when the Motherboard is powered by the PSU?

because if these work, I don't really care about the 3.0, I just wasn't sure if i was doomed and had 0 usb slots now lol

1 minute ago, frantelle said:

Do these connect to anything directly or are they powered when the Motherboard is powered by the PSU?

they are connected to your motherboard directly and it should work without you having to plug in any header

because if these work, I don't really care about the 3.0, I just wasn't sure if i was doomed and had 0 usb slots now lol

no, the usb 3.0 header only affects the front IO, but even then you can connect the casing's front usb port in other ways (as i've mentioned)

so strictly speaking you only damaged the USB 3.0 internal header on your motherboard, assuming nothing else broke

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

28 minutes ago, frantelle said:

Hi guys, First time building so go easy lol.

I was placing my USB 3.0 cable into the front header and a pin bent, and while trying to straighten it, just broke off. So I'm now stuck with no USB 3.0 on my front header...

I've seen alternative I can get a "PCIe usb 3.0 card" that I can plug into my motherboard is that the route I should take?

Also with my back USB ports, where the MB connects to, I cannot find a cable that I clip into "JUSB1 and JUSB2" - is that neccessary or are the ports already powered when i put power to the board from my PSU? I can live with 2.0 ports for now, Just not too sure!

Thanks

Look up which pin you broke. If you only broke a ground pin, you might be ok.

3ybBV.jpg

If you broke only one pin and only on one side, that means one of the USB3 ports will be unusable, not both. If you broke the signal pins or the Vbus pins, then that port is completely unusable and you should probably put tape over the port that can't be used to prevent killing devices that might accidentally get plugged into it.

With that said, you can probably fix it as well, but that might not be in your wheelhouse.

There also exist usb3 to 2 converters for connecting to 2.0 front panels that might also let you use the broken usb 3.0 ports like the JUSB1 and JUSB2 as a rear panel connector. 

You can do this as well: https://www.moddiy.com/products/20-Pin-USB-3.0-Internal-Header-Y-Splitter-Cable-12cm.html split it and then use only the working one, with something like below.

There's also this kind of option: https://www.newegg.com/p/0J2-00G2-00028

3 minutes ago, Kisai said:

Look up which pin you broke. If you only broke a ground pin, you might be ok.

3ybBV.jpg

If you broke only one pin and only on one side, that means one of the USB3 ports will be unusable, not both. If you broke the signal pins or the Vbus pins, then that port is completely unusable and you should probably put tape over the port that can't be used to prevent killing devices that might accidentally get plugged into it.

With that said, you can probably fix it as well, but that might not be in your wheelhouse.

There also exist usb3 to 2 converters for connecting to 2.0 front panels that might also let you use the broken usb 3.0 ports like the JUSB1 and JUSB2 as a rear panel connector. 

You can do this as well: https://www.moddiy.com/products/20-Pin-USB-3.0-Internal-Header-Y-Splitter-Cable-12cm.html split it and then use only the working one, with something like below.

There's also this kind of option: https://www.newegg.com/p/0J2-00G2-00028

I Broke the VBUS so think it's cooked. I've also only got one USB 3.0 port on my MB... I think ill just stick to using the back ports for now until i get it up and running and go from there

I Broke the VBUS so think it's cooked. I've also only got one USB 3.0 port on my MB... I think ill just stick to using the back ports for now until i get it up and running and go from there

There's two VBUS, one for each port. Those USB 3 headers have two ports on them.

3 minutes ago, Kisai said:

There's two VBUS, one for each port. Those USB 3 headers have two ports on them.

ah didnt see that. on that diagram the one thats snapped off is the one above the no pin 

ah didnt see that. on that diagram the one thats snapped off is the one above the no pin 

Yeah, one of those ports might work, so if you only have one USB3.0 port and no media bay (eg sd card slot), then the second port probably won't work, if VBUS is what's dead, then you should be safe as that's simply the power pin, so it will just go "a device you connected malfunctioned" if you try to use it and that's the broken one. If you have a media bay, then those are usually on the second port's pins.

1 minute ago, Kisai said:

Yeah, one of those ports might work, so if you only have one USB3.0 port and no media bay (eg sd card slot), then the second port probably won't work, if VBUS is what's dead, then you should be safe as that's simply the power pin, so it will just go "a device you connected malfunctioned" if you try to use it and that's the broken one. If you have a media bay, then those are usually on the second port's pins.

Ok I will connect it, It doesn't feel tight when I do but might aswell give it a shot.