Looking to buy something better than Harman/Kardon PM645

Viktor277

Im not sure is this even the right category for this topic, but ill go with it anyway. I want to upgrade a bit my audio setup, but i dont know how beneficial will it be to upgrade my amp, since it drives my speakers very nicely (JBL Professional 8330). So, if you have any recommendations for an used amp for around 200 bucks, fell free to drop it down below. I prefer vintage equipment just so you know..

I don't think you can buy much better amp for 200$. Maybe some Yamaha AX-497 if you need power and like sound of Yamaha (and cost will be lower). For a little more than 200$ you can buy new model so I'm not sure is it worth to buying used amp.

Also - strange combo (your amp and that speakers).

I'm also not sure is it worth to spend only 200$ if you want real improvement. Audio is not something you buy for few years, it is something that can work for long time without upgrade if you choose wisely. I saved money for some time and finally bought Yamaha A-S701 + Dali Oberon 7. Real nice combo and I think it will stay with me for looong time. Before I've always bought something chepaer and was never fully satisfied (even if my previous configuration was not so bad).

1 hour ago, homeap5 said:

I don't think you can buy much better amp for 200$. Maybe some Yamaha AX-497 if you need power and like sound of Yamaha (and cost will be lower). For a little more than 200$ you can buy new model so I'm not sure is it worth to buying used amp.

Also - strange combo (your amp and that speakers).

I'm also not sure is it worth to spend only 200$ if you want real improvement. Audio is not something you buy for few years, it is something that can work for long time without upgrade if you choose wisely. I saved money for some time and finally bought Yamaha A-S701 + Dali Oberon 7. Real nice combo and I think it will stay with me for looong time. Before I've always bought something chepaer and was never fully satisfied (even if my previous configuration was not so bad).

Yeah kinda strange combo it is hahaha, but ill stick with them also for a long time, ive compared them against Canton Ergo 122 dc, they are more powerful for sure, but jbl just sounds more realistic and clearer. They were both on yamaha a s2000,and since then i wanted to buy better amp for these jbl's (that's friend's amp). So i dont know what can come close to performance of that amp for a reasonable price, im not paying 1000 dollars for an amp.

50 minutes ago, Viktor277 said:

Yeah kinda strange combo it is hahaha, but ill stick with them also for a long time, ive compared them against Canton Ergo 122 dc, they are more powerful for sure, but jbl just sounds more realistic and clearer. They were both on yamaha a s2000,and since then i wanted to buy better amp for these jbl's (that's friend's amp). So i dont know what can come close to performance of that amp for a reasonable price, im not paying 1000 dollars for an amp.

A-S2000 is expensive. Too expensive for me.

I'm not talking about spending 1000$ for amp. I'm suggesting spending that money (or even slighty more) for amp + speakers.

You may try that AX-497 if you want cheap and still good (imo) amp. Of course opinions can be different, but I really like how Yamaha sounds. Even if I now have A-S701, my old AX-397 (weaker version of AX-497) was pretty good.

5 hours ago, homeap5 said:

A-S2000 is expensive. Too expensive for me.

I'm not talking about spending 1000$ for amp. I'm suggesting spending that money (or even slighty more) for amp + speakers.

You may try that AX-497 if you want cheap and still good (imo) amp. Of course opinions can be different, but I really like how Yamaha sounds. Even if I now have A-S701, my old AX-397 (weaker version of AX-497) was pretty good.

Well im not going to change speakers any time soon, if ever at all, i dont know why but i im sorry if i sound like a broken record at this point, for this price jbl 8330 is just amazing, ive heard 1000 dollars speakers that dont sound as good as these, yeah they are industrial series but very high quality speakers indeed, i also like the appearance of your dali's no doubt they sound great. I've also heard that harman goes with jbl, not exactly sure why maybe cuz of the aggresive sound signature. I will take a look at that yamaha if there are any on sale here in my area, thanks for the help!

Also, i cant find any reasonable pictures of 8330 online that match mine, so heres one for reference.

IMG_20200627_205012[1].jpg