Is it too late to start?

Johnny-Boi

hey guys, so in the midst of me trying to plan out my first build, a though came to mind, i might only be able to have a pc for like 4 MAYBE 5 years it seems, because i'd be going to college and what not, and not all of my money is just gonna be going straight to gaming, i'm gonna need to put food firsts and fl very well may end up playing on a 6-7 year old setup that has to be put at low settings, with no upgrades in sight. so i'm thinking, is it too late for me to start pc gaming, should i just wait until i have a steady job and own a house? i just don't know anymore i mean, i'm fairly young, and likely won't even be able to game at all in a year due to the fact that i'm dual enrolling, and hopefully getting a job to start putting money towards college, and even this year i'll only have maybe an hour, hour and a half to game per day, if i want to keep up guitar, church, 8 hours of school, mowing lawns, and therapy in any productive way. is this just irrational,  or is it really to late to start.

Edited by LogicalDrm

@Johnny-Boi or DM me on discord

@King of Reeeeee Land#9814  

PC is a work in progress, open to any tips and suggestions with ways listed above 😉

Only you can answer that. You will need to weigh up the cost and time commitment of school and decide if it's worth it. there's no such thing as "too late to start gaming". Gaming itself is not a commitment, it's a hobby you do in what ever spare time you have.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

If you’re really concerned about a lack of time for gaming (an hour to hour and a half isn’t that little) and a new computer being a waste of money, I would start off with a lower end pc (like a used optiplex upgraded with an ssd, maybe more ram, and a basic maybe even used gpu) and see how you like it. If you find that you do get time to play then upgrade eventually. If not, now you know and have a decent machine for anything else.

You will be starting by playing on low graphics settings and moderate FPS, but it will let you know if you enjoy it enough to spend more money on it.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

At young age, I'd say you're worrying about all this far too soon. Being driven and excelling at school is a good thing, and I wouldn't want to diminish that in any way. However, you also need to make time for being a kid. Does that mean gaming? Maybe, maybe not, but whatever you do, find some time for fun and dare I say a little irresponsibility (just a little). You'll have the rest your 50+ years after you graduate to be an adult, and frankly that comes fast and furious. If you think you'll have more time then, you really are very young 😉.

Still, all things in moderation. Even as an adult, you have to learn to carve out time for R&R. You can't be "on" all the time, or you'll just burn out and be useless to everyone and everything. This is actually an excellent time to start finding that balance, because it's low risk. When you're an adult, failure can mean losing your job, losing your.home, losing your spouse. As a kid, it means a bad grade maybe, but you can always recover from that. If you learn to take care of your responsibilities and find time to recharge now, you'll have a skill that will propel you in all things in the future.

Edited by LogicalDrm

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse