First PC Build Unsure on Cooling etc.

avardia

Budget (including currency): ~ £1300 (GBP)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Blender, light photo editing, python, gaming, need to be able to reasonably multitask between these.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): I have a pc parts picker list. Upgrading from a hp pavillion laptop, around 6 years old now. And hopefully going to buy the parts this month or the next. Gaming wise I'd like to game at 1080 but if anything higher is possible with what I have or you recommend I'd really appreciate if you let me know!

I've seen that the stock cooler that comes with the CPU has been looked at favourably so hopefully freeing up some of the budget without hurting the build badly (let me know if this isn't the case for my intended use). Pcpartpicker has put up a warning about the case and my GPU possibly not leaving enough space for the hdd but looking at others who have the same build there is enough room for at least 1. RGB doesn't really mean much to me, the only aesthetic thing I really care about is the case being somewhat simple and not too in your face so it fits in with my room. The P400A meets that and my guess is a mesh front is good for airflow so that's my rationale though anything else that meets that is good as well. But not sure if I will need to buy any exhaust fans for this case since all the ones I see advertised are on the front.

Also will definitely need some sort of wifi mobo or wifi card, ethernet isn't available in my flat and my powerline is borderline trash.

Any help and advice would be really appreciated.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/WN7NCL

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor  (£190.64 @ Amazon UK) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard  (£199.99 @ AWD-IT) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory  (£77.58 @ Aria PC) 
Storage: Western Digital Blue 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  (£93.49 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£53.90 @ CCL Computers) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 3X Video Card  (£480.00 @ Currys PC World) 
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400A Digital ATX Mid Tower Case  (£89.99 @ Box Limited) 
Power Supply: EVGA 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  (£102.40 @ Alza) 
Total: £1287.99

Thanks!

7 minutes ago, avardia said:

Power Supply: EVGA 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  (£102.40 @ Alza) 

The shipping cost on that PSU looks like too much. Possibly coming from another country so be weary of customs fees and what not

Just now, WunkusMcDunkus said:

The shipping cost on that PSU looks like too much. Possibly coming from another country so be weary of customs fees and what not

I agree

5 minutes ago, avardia said:

I've seen that the stock cooler that comes with the CPU has been looked at favourably so hopefully freeing up some of the budget without hurting the build badly (let me know if this isn't the case for my intended use).

If you aren't planning on overclocking your CPU, then the stock cooler should work fine.

6 minutes ago, avardia said:

Pcpartpicker has put up a warning about the case and my GPU possibly not leaving enough space for the hdd but looking at others who have the same build there is enough room for at least 1.

I think that's a bunch of nonsense. To my knowledge, the HDD is stored underneath the bottom panel of most Phanteks cases (at least that's how mine works. The only other thing that goes down there is your PSU.

8 minutes ago, avardia said:

Also will definitely need some sort of wifi mobo or wifi card, ethernet isn't available in my flat and my powerline is borderline trash.

It looks like the one you're considering already has WiFi. If you end up going with a different board, I'd recommend just getting a USB WiFi adapter, rather than a WiFi card. the internal WiFi cards are ugly, and don't really get any faster speeds than a $25-30 USB adapter.

Everything about this build looks good to me. I can't think of anything I would change personally.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

I honestly would consider changing the psu, it appears a bit to expensive. If you just want to game at 1080p, and as you will be using blender and other cpu intensive tasks, why not lower the gpu to a 2070 or an 5700XT and upgrade your CPU? You would run modern titles just fine!

Just now, WunkusMcDunkus said:

This also comes with a better stock cooler if that's a big concern.

Indeed, it is way better and it has RGB if you value that!

I haven't kept up with Blender and how good its OpenCL implementation is now (since afaik CUDA used to be a lot better optimised a few years back), but if OpenCL works fine now, as in about on par with CUDA, and you feel like you can leverage more CPU power with your workloads, then you could go with a 3700X and 5700XT build:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/MXrF27

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  (£250.56 @ Amazon UK) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black 55 CFM CPU Cooler  (£64.98 @ Amazon UK) 
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard  (£179.99 @ Box Limited) 
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory  (£92.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: Sabrent Rocket 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (£128.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB Red Dragon Video Card  (£359.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case  (£89.99 @ Currys PC World) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (£92.98 @ Aria PC) 
Case Fan: be quiet! SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 77.57 CFM 140 mm Fan  (£20.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Case Fan: be quiet! SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 77.57 CFM 140 mm Fan  (£20.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Total: £1302.45

Otherwise, here's a slightly improved version of your 3600 and 2070 Super build:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/CWqF27

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  (£149.65 @ Amazon UK) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black 55 CFM CPU Cooler  (£64.98 @ Amazon UK) 
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard  (£179.99 @ Box Limited) 
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory  (£92.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: Sabrent Rocket 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (£128.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 3X Video Card  (£480.00 @ Currys PC World) 
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case  (£89.99 @ Currys PC World) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (£92.98 @ Aria PC) 
Total: £1321.55

The two 140mm fans I would suggest mounting in the front as intakes, with the two included fans that come with the Meshify C as exhausts in the rear and top.

Alternatively, if you need the hard drive, you could very well drop the U12S and get the HDD instead. The stock cooler will do its job for stock speeds, especially in a well ventilated case like the above.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC