Molex, 3 pin, or 4 pin?

FishNuggets01
Go to solution Solved by The_russian,

It depends on the fan and the build, most fans are quiet enough to just leave them on full so a molex fan works fine, but for builds that were focused on being quiet, I used 4 pin fans.

Earlier I was working on my first pc build ever, and I was plugging in the 2 included case fans with my NZXT H510 when I realized that I only have one case fan header on my mobo. I ended up just running them both of of molex because they are 3 pin fans anyways, so I would not have speed control anyways and I didn't care to much about monitoring them. This made me wonder what most people do for there case fans. Do you guys still use molex/sata, 3 pin, or 4 pin with variable speed fan curves. For me, I don't care to much about not having fan control over the case fan, because they are are really quiet and I would probably have them running full tilt anyways. But I am want to know what you guys use?

It depends on the fan and the build, most fans are quiet enough to just leave them on full so a molex fan works fine, but for builds that were focused on being quiet, I used 4 pin fans.

Eventualy I will end up replacing my fans with 4 pin ones and I will get somthing like this from NZXT https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1561442-REG/nzxt_ac_2rgbc_b1_nzxt_rgb_fan.html/?ap=y&smp=y&msclkid=a5d0d256f04b12f53b798d5fac9487ab. That way I can have all of my case fans running off of one 4 pin fan header and have all of them all use the same fan curve. 

It's not a problem to adjust speed of 3-pin fans, all mobos support voltage control in addition to 4th-pin PWM. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

For me, with 120mm fans It really isnt even very loud and I likely would have them close to if not full rpm all the time anyways, so molex is no prolem for me. When I end up replacing my motherboard in quite a few years time I will just run the fans off of the mobo headers, but for rn it doesnt bother me.