ASUS RoG Maximus XII Hero vs Apex

Go to solution Solved by Eighjan,
7 minutes ago, Taintedmind said:

I am looking to purchase an Intel 10th gen (due to stability issues w/AMD, unless they're addressed w/the 4k chips) and I was looking on Amazon and saw ASUS RoG Maximus XII Hero vs Apex were only $20 apart.  I was wondering what the differences are and if it's really relevant.  The actual look of the Apex board isn't very aesthetically pleasing, but if there's a good difference, then I'll def. consider it.  Price isn't an issue, so there's no need to worry about it for a gaming computer, not workstation or side-workstation.

Any useful information is greatly appreciated; thanks.

This any help...?

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/HJZzK8,pFMTwP/

3 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

What stability problems ? That was a thing with their gpus and they're mostly fixed. 

Budget ? Both if these boards are honestly overpriced. Budget and what is your workload ? 

These...

I am looking to purchase an Intel 10th gen (due to stability issues w/AMD, unless they're addressed w/the 4k chips) and I was looking on Amazon and saw ASUS RoG Maximus XII Hero vs Apex were only $20 apart.  I was wondering what the differences are and if it's really relevant.  The actual look of the Apex board isn't very aesthetically pleasing, but if there's a good difference, then I'll def. consider it.  Price isn't an issue, so there's no need to worry about it for a gaming computer, not workstation or side-workstation.

Primary

CPU:      i9-10900k 3.7-5.3GHz (10th gen)

GPU:      EVGA RTX 3080ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming 12gb

MB:         ASUS RoG Maximus XIII Hero (ATX)

RAM:      64gb (4x16) DDR4-3200MHz G.Skill TridentZ Silver/Black (CL16)

HD:         1x 8TB Corsair MP400 NVMe PCIe 3.0 (SSD)

2x 16TB Seagate Exos 7200rpm (HDD)

E-HD:     12TB WD

PSU:       EVGA 1000w G2, 80+ Gold (modular)

UPS:       900w CyberPower

Display:   ASUS 27” 1440p/270Hz IPS 0.5ms (XG27AQM)

Aorus 27" 1440p/165Hz IPS 1ms (FI27Q-P) iGPU

KeyB:      EVGA Z15 (wired)

Mouse:    Logitech G-502 Hero (400/600/800/1000)

Headset: JBL Quantum ONE Gaming Headset

Case:      Cooler Master MasterCase H500P Mesh (ATX)

Other:     XB-1 Wireless Controller Adapter w/Controller

NPET H01 Gaming Mouse Bungee Cord Holder w/4 USB Ports

Gaming Computer Specs.pdf

3 minutes ago, Taintedmind said:

due to stability issues w/AMD, unless they're addressed w/the 4k chips

What stability problems ? That was a thing with their gpus and they're mostly fixed. 

4 minutes ago, Taintedmind said:

Budget ? Both if these boards are honestly overpriced. Budget and what is your workload ? 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

7 minutes ago, Taintedmind said:

This any help...?

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/HJZzK8,pFMTwP/

3 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

These...

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

18 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

All videogames w/AAA titles and eSports.  It's not a workstation, whatsoever, so there's no issues w/needing video rendering of anything of that nature.  I'm talkin about the BIOS issues from AMD puttin out a new BIOS every month or more early on for a while, which I've seen in reviews and on downloads.  I purchase ASUS for Motherboards, so I don't care much for the others.  Aorus is one I'll look into for secondary computers that I don't use regularly.

If the 4k series is good for AMD, then I'll swap over w/more cores and the top consumer lvl (ex: 4950X), but I'm waitin for benchmarks prior to makin a decision.  Once they come out, along w/the RTX 3080 ti, I'll start purchasing.

My budget is $5,000 at most, but i'm aimin for around $3,500 w/an RTX 3080 ti.  I'm lookin at the new 4k processors from AMD and the i7-10700k, until the next non-filler set processors come out next year.

Primary

1 minute ago, Taintedmind said:

I'm lookin at the new 4k processors from AMD and the i7-10700k, until the next non-filler set processors come out next year.

Then wait if you can. If the build is not planned now wait for zen 3 and see what it has to offer. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

1 minute ago, TofuHaroto said:

Then wait if you can. If the build is not planned now wait for zen 3 and see what it has to offer. 

I am waiting, I'm just curious as to the differences in the boards, so I can just purchase when the time comes.  I'm not making any final decisions until all of the products are out this year, then I'm giving this computer (in my signature) w/a RTX 3080 ti to my g/f; so I'll need the new comp built at that time.

Primary

1 minute ago, Taintedmind said:

I'm just curious as to the differences

Well both are honestly over kill. I have not looked at many z490 boards yet so I can't comment on the vrm solution of these two boards. But the difference between them are probably the Little things. 

The again like what @Eighjan linked. You can check it out. 

Build Log: 

Apex is a hardcore ram OC board. Hero is more of a allrounder. Apex has only 2 dimm slots for better ram OC, and no iGPU power. You cant use onboard graphics or quick sync on the Apex. The vcore vrm is very good on both. Unless you are into hardcore overklokking go for the Hero (Ore something cheaper)

Both have 3x M.2, wifi 6, post codes and all of the importent oc features. Apex has 1 and 2.5Gbit lan, Hero had 1 and 5Gbit

I have a 10900k and a Hero board. Very happy with it, no issue running 4133 cl19-19-19 xmp profile, but I have not tried to push any OC yet