Sony buy $250 million stake in Epic Games

Delicieuxz

Sony has purchased $250 million worth of Epic Games - which it seems isn't nearly as much EG in 2020 as it was in 2012. Sony's $250 million purchase reportedly only bought it a 1.4% stake in EG, while Tencent purchased 40% of EG in 2012 for $333 million. The 1.4% of EG Sony got for $250 million suggests that EG's total valuation is around $17.9 billion. At the time of Tencent's 40% stake purchase, it would have been $825 million.

I guess Fortnite, which brought-in $1.8 billion in 2019, changed a lot for EG. Though, EG's total revenue for 2019 is reported to have been $4.2 billion.

Tim Sweeney continues to hold a majority stake in the company he founded. I'm interested to see what this means for the future of Sony games: Will they shift away from exclusives to deliver their games through the PC platform they also part-own now? Will PlayStation Now and Epic Games Store develop some formal connection to each other?

https://venturebeat.com/2020/07/09/sony-invests-250-million-in-fortnite-maker-epic-games/

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

6 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

please do. anything to balance out tencent

Pretty sure $250M is nothing compared to what Tencent owns.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

4 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

I mean you can play PS exclusives on PC via PS Now.

Finally. My vita can stop collecting dust. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

Just now, VegetableStu said:

also new avatar who dat o_o

It's the one and only. ;)

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

1 minute ago, valdyrgramr said:

I mean you can play PS exclusives on PC via PS Now.

Yeah, but it's low quality. I tried it for a month or two. It was decent at times, but inconsistent: Sometime the image quality would look appreciable, other times it would look very mushy (I think PS Now is 720p at its best, though). And the controls would sometimes have very minimal input latency, but other times it would be significant and interfered with my enjoyment of the games.

I don't know if it was the games, the presentation, or a mixture of both, but I didn't end-up finishing the few games I tried on PS Now, including God of War and Uncharted 4.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

1 minute ago, VegetableStu said:

who dat

1 minute ago, TofuHaroto said:

It's the one and only. ;)

Doug Dimmadome owner of the Dimmsdale Dimmadome. Thank you for locating my long lost son Dale Dimmadome, heir to the Dimmsdale Dimmadome fortune. If there's anything I can do to repay you for your kindness, all you need to do is ask!

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Damn I was hoping someone besides Tencent would end up with a fair chunk of Epic tbh

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Sony is behind everyone else on a cross-platform "ecosystem". Epic has, oddly enough, made it very clear they're going away from the Steam model. They've all but actually tossed in the towel in trying to compete against Gaben's juggernaut.  What EGS will become is more like a server infrastructure platform, so Epic can sell more than just a Graphics Engine. Think more along the lines of built-in servers as part of the service package. Maybe faster conversion to Playstation for Unreal Engine games. Stuff like that.

19 hours ago, Delicieuxz said:

Sony has purchased $250 million worth of Epic Games - which it seems isn't nearly as much EG in 2020 as it was in 2012. Sony's $250 million purchase reportedly only bought it a 1.4% stake in EG, while Tencent purchased 40% of EG in 2012 for $333 million.

May as well buy a stake in it when it hasn't had an IPO. That means the true valuation is actually a bit of an Unknown, but it may also signal that they are going to. What would suck is if Tencent is able to get more of Epic. As much as I know people don't like the Epic Game Store itself, it would suck for a LOT of companies if a foreign company got ahold of the Unreal Engine and changed the licencing.

(Becuase that's been the thing, company A buys company B, and then raises company B's flagship product prices to extortionate levels.)