Proliant dl380 g5 loud

Change the fans and sacrifice cooling?
Servers are made to be in data centres where noise isnt realy an issue.
But there are surely options.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

is there a option to make them spinn lower rpm because if i remove 1 fan the other once begin to spin 100% and the server will shutdown then i start it with 1 fan unpluged

3 minutes ago, marijnov said:

is there a option to make them spinn lower rpm because if i remove 1 fan the other once begin to spin 100% and the server will shutdown then i start it with 1 fan unpluged

That's the whole point, servers are designed to be loud. I was trying to quieten my DL380 G4 but there is no option - it has to be loud

Make sure to quote me @Meowster  so that I see your reply

I love my job, being a sysadmin. It's very fun 

2 hours ago, Meowster said:

That's the whole point, servers are designed to be loud. I was trying to quieten my DL380 G4 but there is no option - it has to be loud

yikes

You can put resistors on fans to make it quieter, Ive done this to my 2950 and a few other servers.

But those g5 systems are very inefficent, it would be cheaper to buy a new system from the power savings alone.

so you can take out all the add in cards apparently they are supposed to run quieter without the raid card an any add in cards in them but I've never tried it with mine as I kinda need drives in it.

i bought the server for 25$ and i never run the server for long so power is not a problem

I have a DL380G7, and I was wondering how I might make mine quieter. I run FreeBSD 12-STABLE on it, and I configured powerdxx so that it disabled Intel Turboboost. By limiting the CPU speed to no more than the highest non-Turbo Boost speed, it has helped keep temps lower and the fans don't rev up nearly as much.

I've also thought about tinkering with IPMI to see if I can configure fan speeds manually, but I find IPMI confusing and haven't figured out how to use it -- let alone find out if it would help in any way.

Besides that, maybe I could replace the thermal paste. I bought this server used, and it's likely it has the same stock paste that was put on it 10+ years ago.

I was also wondering if the fans could be replaced with something newer, more efficient, and quieter. Does anyone know if there are any alternative fans that would work in a Proliant server?

You can modify the existing fans with resistors (Try a 47 or 22 Ohm resistor) to limit the amount of current. You will suffer a cooling penalty but will make them quieter. Better solution to replace the fan with aftermarket 40mm Fans, but make sure you save the old fan connectors to solder across so you can plug them and control them still on the motherboard.

Don't forget these are designed to have airflow forced front to back on purpose. There has to be enough flow over ram and CPU's etc.

• 4 weeks later...

I had to follow up because I recently decided to give my DL380 G7 a good cleaning. I blew out all the dust with compressed air. I took cotton swabs with isopropyl alcohol and cleaned all 6 chassis fans thoroughly. Then, most importantly, I replaced the 10 year old thermal paste with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut. I currently have all 12 cores pegged at 100% running xmrig and Folding@Home with Intel Turbo Boost enabled. The fans turned up a little bit, but not much. And CPU temps are hovering around 60 degrees Celsius. Before this cleaning and thermal paste upgrade, just having 2-4 cores at 100% with Intel Turbo Boost enabled would make this server sound like a jet engine. I had to disable Turbo Boost to prevent the fans from revving to 100%. Even then CPU temps would hover around 70 degrees Celsius.

Change your thermal paste. Use Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut. Trust me. You'll be astounded by the improvement.

On 7/10/2020 at 4:36 AM, marijnov said:

hey does anyone know how i can make my proliant dl380 g5 quieter
thanks

Turn it off.

Slayerking92

<Type something witty here>
<Link to some pcpartpicker fantasy build and claim as my own>

On 8/6/2020 at 9:42 PM, Mystical Kimchi said:

I had to follow up because I recently decided to give my DL380 G7 a good cleaning. I blew out all the dust with compressed air. I took cotton swabs with isopropyl alcohol and cleaned all 6 chassis fans thoroughly. Then, most importantly, I replaced the 10 year old thermal paste with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut. I currently have all 12 cores pegged at 100% running xmrig and Folding@Home with Intel Turbo Boost enabled. The fans turned up a little bit, but not much. And CPU temps are hovering around 60 degrees Celsius. Before this cleaning and thermal paste upgrade, just having 2-4 cores at 100% with Intel Turbo Boost enabled would make this server sound like a jet engine. I had to disable Turbo Boost to prevent the fans from revving to 100%. Even then CPU temps would hover around 70 degrees Celsius.

Change your thermal paste. Use Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut. Trust me. You'll be astounded by the improvement.

my cpu's arent getting hot so thats not the problem and i also cleaned it

Well, my CPUs weren't getting hot, either. I never saw temps go over 70 degrees celsius even before changing the thermal paste. But changing the thermal paste meant that the fans could achieve better cooling with less work. So the fans ramp up far less than they did before. And that resulted in significantly less noise.