Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Should i run my AIO pump fan at 100%?

Hi,

 

As the title suggests, i want to know whether it is correct to be running my AIO pump 3 pin fan at 100% constantly? I have a Cooler Master ML360R.

 

Thank you.

Link to post
Share on other sites

No, let the motherboard control it according to the CPU temp

AMD Ryzen 3 3200G / Sapphire R9 290X / 16gb (2x8) Kingston ValueRam @ 2666Mhz / Gigabyte A320M-S2H / Kingston A400 120GB M.2 SSD / WD Blue 2.5" 1TB HDD / Cooler Master MWE450 / iCute Thing / LG 22MK400H-B 1920x1080 @ 75Hz / Dell P2210 1680 x 1050 @ 60Hz / Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury / E-Blue Memcanical Keyboard / Razer Kraken X

You're using light mode! Turn those lights off!

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, NZgamer said:

No, let the motherboard control it according to the CPU temp

Right, so on the BIOS change it from "full speed", to "normal"?

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Liborio said:

Right, so on the BIOS change it from "full speed", to "normal"?

There’s usually a ramp setting available.  The cpu has tempature sensors in it and the computer can change the fan speed according to how hot it is.  There are several places this can be done.  The one I happen to be familiar with is bios.  It’s kinda old school.  For that you’ll need to know which port the fans are plugged into.  There are often several options these days though.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites

With my last 360 AIO cooler I saw almost no temperature difference running the pump at 50% and at 100%...  I've been using AIO's for years and typically would have the pumps running around 50%, and never had a single failure even with "cheap" AIO units.

 

Pump speed matters more when it comes to Custom liquid cooling and even then, not by as much as people would think depending on components and size of the loop.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, SuperStreetFighter said:

With my last 360 AIO cooler I saw almost no temperature difference running the pump at 50% and at 100%...  I've been using AIO's for years and typically would have the pumps running around 50%, and never had a single failure even with "cheap" AIO units.

 

Pump speed matters more when it comes to Custom liquid cooling and even then, not by as much as people would think depending on components and size of the loop.

 

 

I read fan not pump.  you make a point. @Liborio  By” pump fan” do you mean the pump impeller?

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I read fan not pump.  you make a point. @Liborio  By” pump fan” do you mean the pump impeller?

 

what are you talking about here ?     

 

Are you talking about having the Pump running 100%   or the Radiator Fans going 100%   ?

 

The pump you can run at 50%, the radiator fans you can run at 50% as well and only crank them up higher when you're gaming..     You can do this manually or simply set temperature curves that adjust the speeds automatically, can be done for both Pump and Radiator Fans.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, SuperStreetFighter said:

 

what are you talking about here ?     

 

Are you talking about having the Pump running 100%   or the Radiator Fans going 100%   ?

 

The pump you can run at 50%, the radiator fans you can run at 50% as well and only crank them up higher when you're gaming..     You can do this manually or simply set temperature curves that adjust the speeds automatically, can be done for both Pump and Radiator Fans.

Exactly.  I can’t tell.  I had at first assumed he was talking about radiator fans but that AIO has two fans so the singular makes it confusing.  “Pump fan” could mean the spinny bit in the pump that moves the water.  Which would mean talking about the pump rather than the radiator fans.  It’s more properly called an impeller but is technically a type of fan.  The same type used in vacuum cleaners. If he had said “pump fans” it would have meant radiator fans but this could be either.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites

OP is talking about the pump itself.  All I know is that DC motors like running better at the full 12v 100% speed, but this may be old info from when I was researching the D5 pump.  It's also the reason they made a PWM version of the pump, so it doesn't have to go 100% at all times.  CoolerMaster makes their own pumps and don't get them from Asetek like many other brands.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@SuperStreetFighter @Bombastinator Hi guys, im talking about the actual pump on my AIO which has a radiatior and 3 fans btw (Cooler Master ML360R).

 

The 3 fans on the raditor are fine and are being controlled by the motherboard at different temps, the setting is called "normal" i.e adjusts itself.

 

Im using CPU_OPT for the pump 3 pin fan connection. Im getting so many mixed answers as to whether i should set it as normal (adjusts as temps change) in the BIOS or full speed (at 100% constantly).

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Liborio said:

@SuperStreetFighter @Bombastinator Hi guys, im talking about the actual pump on my AIO which has a radiatior and 3 fans btw (Cooler Master ML360R).

 

The 3 fans on the raditor are fine and are being controlled by the motherboard at different temps, the setting is called "normal" i.e adjusts itself.

 

Im using CPU_OPT for the pump 3 pin fan connection. Im getting so many mixed answers as to whether i should set it as normal (adjusts as temps change) in the BIOS or full speed (at 100% constantly).

My understanding is water speed makes not a lot of difference to AIOs though it stands to reason that in very high heat situations it might.  It becomes a question of noise and what is best for the pump life wise.  Unless the cpu is a 10900k Running hard overclock I don’t see that possibly happening.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 months later...

I see a difference when I have higher pump speeds.  At 50%, Cinebench caused temp to reach 82c.  100% fan speed, the max was 74.5c.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

I've been wondering the same about pump speed. It always appears to be running at 100% even when Idle. Guess I'll have to take a look at AISuite or my BIOS fan speed curves. Been wondering about a few different features of my mobo as well, but I'll check those out later.

🖥️Intel Core i7-10700K - ASUS TUF Z490-Plus (Wifi) - 64GB (4x16) Corsair Vengeance LPX @3200 16-18-18-36 1.35V - ASUS TUF RTX 3080 OC 10GB

- WD Black SN750 1TB M.2 NVMe / Samsung 850Evo Plus 500GB SSD / WD Green 2TB HDD

- Corsair RM850 PSU - Deepcool Castle 240 RGB V2 AIO - Sharp Aquos 4K 60" Smart TV💾

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×