New Build I'm Planning On Getting Soon-ish Possibly Need Recomendations

Mainly for gaming and occasional video editing/uploading

I was thinking 

Thermaltake chaser a31 - thunder edition

ASRock Z77 OC Formula Motherboard or an ASUS Sabertooth Z77 Motherboard

Intel Core i7 3770K Unlocked 4-Core 3rd Gen Processor   gonna go with an i5 3570k

Corsair Vengeance Red 16gb   probably end up with 8gb can upgrade later if needed

2x Galaxy GeForce GTX 670 GC 2GB Video Card

Corsair GS-800 V2 80+ Bronze Power Supply  probably going a Cougar CMX 850W 80Plus Bronze Modular

corsair H100i

Seagate Barracuda 2TB x 2 

Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB

Razer Tiamat 7.1 Surround headset 

Logitech g600 mouse

Saitek Cyborg STRIKE 7

BenQ XL2420T (3D 120Hz) 24" 2ms Monitor x3

There isn't anything there that I'd change I don't think. I don't see any aftermarket fans on your list so maybe you could add a few of those. Put your H100i in push/pull if you want. Pretty sweet build otherwise.

You may want to consider a modular power supply if its within budget, they make things a lot easier to manage inside.  Also the Chaser A31 has a very short front audio cable.  I wasn't able to route it behind the motherboard tray, in fact I was barely able to route it in front of the motherboard, I literally had to cut across the board diagonally, the cable had to go behind the graphics card between the chipset heatsink, and it barely managed to reach.  I'd consider looking online for an internal HD audio cable extension or something.

You may want to consider a modular power supply if its within budget, they make things a lot easier to manage inside.  Also the Chaser A31 has a very short front audio cable.  I wasn't able to route it behind the motherboard tray, in fact I was barely able to route it in front of the motherboard, I literally had to cut across the board diagonally, the cable had to go behind the graphics card between the chipset heatsink, and it barely managed to reach.  I'd consider looking online for an internal HD audio cable extension or something.

thanks for the advice i was most likely going to use the back I/o and not worry about the front anyway

If you are only occasionally video editing then there is no need for a 3770K. Since gaming doesn't benefit from Hyper-Threading, I'd recommend dropping it down a notch to the 3570K - the only real difference between the two is that the 3770K has Hyper-Threading, whereas the 3570K doesn't. The 3570K is still a capable processor and can still hold up well even when rendering etc. You can save yourself ~$100.

Kind of the same story with the RAM, if you will be doing near minimal editing, and the main priority is gaming then 8GB will be more than enough. Grab yourself a 2x4GB 1333MHz or 1600MHz kit. If you somehow find yourself using near, if not all 8GB, then you can proceed and upgrade to 16GB, though I highly doubt you will.

I doubt you will use the features that come with the Sabertooth motherboard, save yourself ~$100 and get an ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 or MSI Z77A-G45 - both will support SLI and will do what you need it to do.

I personally don't see the point in getting an AiO units as the cost of them for the performance you get isn't worth it. I'm not saying that they perform bad, but for what you pay you can get a quality air cooler which can outperform out, or spend less and perform on par. There is a place for them, such as limited room in cases, though with the case you have chosen, you don't have that problem. I'd recommend looking at the Noctua NH-D14 or Phanteks PH-TC14PE if you don't fancy the colours of the NH-D14.

With the money you have saved, I'd recommend getting a modular power supply, just like Glenwing said. A recommendation would be a SeaSonic M12II 750W for ~$100 or, a Rosewill HIVE 750W for ~$90; both will work wonders.

^ That's solid advice as well; if editing is a side thing, then the extra money in the CPU and RAM probably aren't worth it.  The H100i can be matched by some top end air coolers for a little less but the clean looks of a closed loop cooler may be worth the extra $20-30 fee for some.  You could probably go with the GA-Z77X-UD4H for a motherboard, it still has a great look to it and the power delivery is pretty decent so you could probably get some good overclocks out of it.  That would save you a lot over the Z77 or OC Formula.  Personally I found that a 128GB SSD wasn't big enough for me, and I only have a few games/large programs.  You may want to consider stepping up to a 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 Pros are only $220 on Newegg at the moment which is pretty good for what it is.  Depends on how much capacity you personally use though.

thanks for the tips might go with a Cougar CMX 850W 80Plus Bronze Modular due to availability locally i like the built in cooling of the sabertooth as it gets hot in Australia 48°C (118.4°F) earlier this year

Mainly for gaming and occasional video editing/uploading

I was thinking 

Thermaltake chaser a31 - thunder edition

ASRock Z77 OC Formula Motherboard or an ASUS Sabertooth Z77 Motherboard

Intel Core i7 3770K Unlocked 4-Core 3rd Gen Processor   gonna go with an i5 3570k

Corsair Vengeance Red 16gb   probably end up with 8gb can upgrade later if needed

2x Galaxy GeForce GTX 670 GC 2GB Video Card

Corsair GS-800 V2 80+ Bronze Power Supply  probably going a Cougar CMX 850W 80Plus Bronze Modular

corsair H100i

Seagate Barracuda 2TB x 2 

Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB

Razer Tiamat 7.1 Surround headset 

Logitech g600 mouse

Saitek Cyborg STRIKE 7

BenQ XL2420T (3D 120Hz) 24" 2ms Monitor x3

Most of your parts are well picked, but I have a few recommendations.

First of all, two GTX 670's won't always get you a constant 120FPS in-game, but 60FPS shouldn't be a problem.

16GB of RAM is excessive for almost everyone. For reference, most games can only utilize up to ~4GB since they're 32-bit applications.

The G600 is more suitable for MMOs, if that's fine with you. If you want a mouse better suited for shooters, I can vouch for the Razer Mamba 2012.

Other than that, it's a good build. Just keep in mind that a cyan case with red RAM and a black motherboard is a little bit of an odd color scheme, so you might like these RAM sticks: http://ncix.com/products/?sku=59431&vpn=CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B&manufacture=Corsair&promoid=1280

• 4 weeks later...

also considering a GTX 780 instead of the 670s

thoughts?

If you are only occasionally video editing then there is no need for a 3770K. Since gaming doesn't benefit from Hyper-Threading, I'd recommend dropping it down a notch to the 3570K - the only real difference between the two is that the 3770K has Hyper-Threading, whereas the 3570K doesn't. The 3570K is still a capable processor and can still hold up well even when rendering etc. You can save yourself ~$100.

Kind of the same story with the RAM, if you will be doing near minimal editing, and the main priority is gaming then 8GB will be more than enough. Grab yourself a 2x4GB 1333MHz or 1600MHz kit. If you somehow find yourself using near, if not all 8GB, then you can proceed and upgrade to 16GB, though I highly doubt you will.

I doubt you will use the features that come with the Sabertooth motherboard, save yourself ~$100 and get an ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 or MSI Z77A-G45 - both will support SLI and will do what you need it to do.

I personally don't see the point in getting an AiO units as the cost of them for the performance you get isn't worth it. I'm not saying that they perform bad, but for what you pay you can get a quality air cooler which can outperform out, or spend less and perform on par. There is a place for them, such as limited room in cases, though with the case you have chosen, you don't have that problem. I'd recommend looking at the Noctua NH-D14 or Phanteks PH-TC14PE if you don't fancy the colours of the NH-D14.

With the money you have saved, I'd recommend getting a modular power supply, just like Glenwing said. A recommendation would be a SeaSonic M12II 750W for ~$100 or, a Rosewill HIVE 750W for ~$90; both will work wonders.

This^

Also, a Samsung 840 250GB is pretty damn cheap. It may not be worth the extra money to go for the 840 pro.

also considering a GTX 780 instead of the 670s

thoughts?

The 670 sli will murder the 780. Sli can have more problems but it will depend on how much power you see yourself using in the future.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.