Xtremely Terrific - AMD releases three new Matisse CPU

williamcll

NDA of AMD's refresh for the Zen 2 has been lifted, and the prices of their predecessors will be lowered to compensate.

AMD-Ryzen-Matisse-Refresh.jpg

The XT series features a new optimized 7nm node. Officially AMD expects 4-5% improvement over the original X-series processors. This is achieved thanks to the improvements introduced to the 7nm process over the year, as the new XT “Matisse 2” series launch exactly a year after the original series.

image.thumb.png.84f1f0b308478386c30a34e74f0c5330.png

Source: https://videocardz.com/89478/amd-ryzen-3000xt-matisse-2-processors-review-roundup

https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-5-3600xt

https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-7-3800xt

https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-9-3900xt

Thoughts: This is a hard choice since I could wait for a few more months and get the 4000 series CPU instead.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

43 minutes ago, williamcll said:

Thoughts: This is a hard choice since I could wait for a few more months and get the 4000 series CPU instead.

And that's what you should do. A completely pointless 'refresh' with no real performance differences at prices that are too high. Wait for the next iteration of Zen.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

the one i hoped would drop the price didn't 😓

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

i am more excited about the desktop renoir chips, they might surprise us, with their lower memory latency thanks to no chiplet design

5 hours ago, Morgan MLGman said:

And that's what you should do. A completely pointless 'refresh' with no real performance differences at prices that are too high. Wait for the next iteration of Zen.

How are prices "too high" when they are THE SAME as old slower parts?

3 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

How are prices "too high" when they are THE SAME as old slower parts?

Because they are the same price as the list launch price when the first came out. Not the same price as they are currently on sale for now.

Meaning instead of replacing the existing priced lineup, they reset the prices for maybe a few % improvement.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

9 minutes ago, silberdrachi said:

Because they are the same price as the list launch price when the first came out. Not the same price as they are currently on sale for now.

Meaning instead of replacing the existing priced lineup, they reset the prices for maybe a few % improvement.

Well, why would they drop the price when they don't have to relative to Intel's offerings? People always, and I mean always have this idea that AMD should be basically giving away things just because it has always been the underdog who often paved its way to the market with lower prices.

Meh. Still happy with my 2700x. So far runs everything I need. Might upgrade sometime 5xxx/6xxx 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

IT'S A TRAP!! DON'T BUY IT'S JUST A PLACE HOLDER FOR ZEN 3!!!!

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

These are pretty much pointless CPUS in all honesty. 3800XT literally makes 0 sense, for the same price you can just buy a 3900x. 3900XT seems to be about the same with some uplift in certain areas.

6 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Well, why would they drop the price when they don't have to relative to Intel's offerings? People always, and I mean always have this idea that AMD should be basically giving away things just because it has always been the underdog who often paved its way to the market with lower prices.

I think most people are thinking that you would be much better off buying the original ryzen 3000 series parts as they are much cheaper and provide similar performance. I mean why buy a 3800xt when you can buy a 3900x for the same price? 

This is also not the day I upgrade my 4790k ait

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

3 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

I think most people are thinking that you would be much better off buying the original ryzen 3000 series parts as they are much cheaper and provide similar performance. I mean why buy a 3800xt when you can buy a 3900x for the same price? 

Because some care about clock more than raw core count...

GN made a very valid point in their review, it's purely a business decision (as it should be, AMD are a business after all!). They need to increase their average selling price, if both retailers and AMD are constantly lowering their prices, the average selling price goes down, and it looks bad to investors. There's a reason Intel never reduce their prices!

Those in the know will continue to buy the non-XT variant, the same way they would have bought the 3700X instead of the 3800X.

Everybody is acting like AMD has caused COVID20 here, it's not as if they've discontinued the OG parts, they're still being made and available at the same lower price they've been available at. 

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

They're solid improvement of vanilla chips. They place in current price and move the og ones down. But yeah also businesses decision side. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Pretty boring overall. At least GN’s sample of the 3600XT overclocked pretty well but overall, meh.

If you really want to see an uptick, wait for Zen 3. This isn’t it, obviously.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

5 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Because some care about clock more than raw core count...

Yep because 100 mhz is worth 4 less cores. I'm sorry but I doubt there are many people who would opt for the 3800xt for 100 mhz faster boost clock instead of getting a 3900x which has 4 more cores and a boost clock only slightly slower than the 3800xt. 

5 hours ago, yolosnail said:

GN made a very valid point in their review, it's purely a business decision (as it should be, AMD are a business after all!). They need to increase their average selling price, if both retailers and AMD are constantly lowering their prices, the average selling price goes down, and it looks bad to investors.

THIS! Spot on!

Most purchasers (and consumers in general) aren't aware of the technical minutiae. So when comparing seemingly two products of similar characteristics, marketing wins out. Generally it's assumed that newer = better and the price of the unit justifies its existence. But the big failure is not weighing the price/performance ratio.

51 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Yep because 100 mhz is worth 4 less cores. I'm sorry but I doubt there are many people who would opt for the 3800xt for 100 mhz faster boost clock instead of getting a 3900x which has 4 more cores and a boost clock only slightly slower than the 3800xt. 

Everyone seems to be salivating when Intel does it...

Here i am still running my "new" used 2600 at 4.15 ghz and having a blast. Still really looking forward to the 4800X tho and hope my b450 board will be able to upgrade to it, if so that is going to be a good day!

30 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Everyone seems to be salivating when Intel does it...

Yes but those are Intel customers not AMD customers. If people wanted to pay way to much just so they can have the best single threaded performance they would just go Intel. The fact is most people are not going to be able to justify the extra cost for minimal increase in performance. Sure if they were only slightly more expensive than the previous version of ryzen 3000 then maybe people would consider it but that is not the case. The xt versions are significantly more expensive for not enough increase in performance to justify them. Also they don't come with a cooler last time I checked. 

19 minutes ago, HomeBoi said:

Here i am still running my "new" used 2600 at 4.15 ghz and having a blast. Still really looking forward to the 4800X tho and hope my b450 board will be able to upgrade to it, if so that is going to be a good day!

I have a 1600af running at 4ghz...perfectly happy until it is no longer able to do what I need it to...I'll probably upgrade 2 years from now when they have a 2600af...LOL.

I'm usually a gen or two behind and I'm okay with that.

13 hours ago, steelo said:

I have a 1600af running at 4ghz...perfectly happy until it is no longer able to do what I need it to...I'll probably upgrade 2 years from now when they have a 2600af...LOL.

2700x gang here. Got it cheap so i didn't mind going to the 2700 instead of 2600.