Set up 7.1 Surround Sound with stereo headset

Thorimus

Hello,

I used to have a Hyperx Cloud Revolver S set up via a 3.5mm stereo jack (due to intense whine when using USB), running 7.1 surround using Realtek’s Audio Console. 

I ran into issues with the headset not outputting any sound and uninstalled it using device manager, which seemed to fix the issue. Now, the Realtek software wont start, giving a “can’t connect to RPC service” error and the headset is stuck in standard non-directional sound mode.

I’ve tried the troubleshooting options provided on Microsoft’s page and performed a full reinstall of RAC but nothing has worked, and others seem to have similar issues.

Is there another way to set up surround sound via a 3.5mm jack, perhaps using other software?

“sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic still going to require driver rollbacks when it stops working for no reason“

Why not try to use your headset without surround? Games nowadays got good enough audio you don't need virtual surround sound.

PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R w/ Dekoni Velour as daily driver

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

Keyboard > SteelSeries Apex Pro

Mouse > Steelseries Aerox 3 wireless

Mousepad > Pulsar ParaSpeed XXL

VR > Valve index kit

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)

56 minutes ago, Tigerleon said:

Why not try to use your headset without surround? Games nowadays got good enough audio you don't need virtual surround sound.

I can’t even tell if something is in front of me or behind me when I hear a sound at the moment. Directional sound was pretty nice.

“sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic still going to require driver rollbacks when it stops working for no reason“

47 minutes ago, Thorimus said:

I can’t even tell if something is in front of me or behind me when I hear a sound at the moment. Directional sound was pretty nice.

That's more likely due to your headset, not a lack of post processing.

As Jabroni said it is due to your headset lacking imaging and just how good the drivers are. If you have a pretty good pair of headphone like sennheiser, beyerdynamics or whatever. The difference is huge compared to closed back gaming headsets.

PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R w/ Dekoni Velour as daily driver

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

Keyboard > SteelSeries Apex Pro

Mouse > Steelseries Aerox 3 wireless

Mousepad > Pulsar ParaSpeed XXL

VR > Valve index kit

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)

I was troubleshooting a different issue and wiped all AMD software and reinstalled my graphics drivers, and now suddenly the Audio Console works again and I can select surround sound. Computers are weird.

I’ll have to do some blind tests comparing surround to stereo. Maybe I’ve just convinced myself one is somehow better at conveying direction when it’s actually the same.