Panel Bit Depth: native 8 bits vs 6 bits + FRC, which is better?

DVAlt

I'm currently using my laptop's (MSI GL62M 7RDX) display and for the longest time it did good enough (more like better than nothing) for gaming, albeit a tad bit darker for my preference. Even though it have served me well, I've been planning on building a PC sometime next year and while I'm at it, might as well get a better monitor for now. My use case is mainly watching movies and gaming with photo editing and illustration as a hobby, oh and video editing whenever my teacher(s) needs entertainment at the end of semester. 

I've been eyeing on LG 27GL650F for a while and while the reviews have been pretty good, I was surprised when I found out that it comes with a 6 bits panel with FRC. I've heard in the past that it's better to get a native 8 bits panel rather than 6 bits with FRC, but is it true?

And while I'm at it, I'm also looking for a recommendation around the same price as LG 27GL650F, give or take. Thanks!

2 minutes ago, Cluff said:

I've heard in the past that it's better to get a native 8 bits panel rather than 6 bits with FRC, but is it true?

Yes.

FRC attempts to show the colors the 'extra 2 bits' would be able to show, thus would be a recreation of those colors. Actually having the ability to see those colors on screen would be better.

But always be sure to look at reviews to gauge the actual color spectrum a monitor can reach.

Personally I don't know of any 1080p@144Hz monitors with great colors, so can't really give recommendations there

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2 hours ago, minibois said:

Yes.

FRC attempts to show the colors the 'extra 2 bits' would be able to show, thus would be a recreation of those colors. Actually having the ability to see those colors on screen would be better.

But always be sure to look at reviews to gauge the actual color spectrum a monitor can reach.

Personally I don't know of any 1080p@144Hz monitors with great colors, so can't really give recommendations there

I see, but after doing a little digging on some forums, I come across some argument that the difference is either not much or just outright don't matter for the average Joe. I don't know how much truth that holds but, say for this LG 27GL650F, I've read the reviews of it saying it has decent color out of the box that could be calibrated for a much better result, so is the difference "irl" negatable?

Because to be honest, the closest thing I could find is Asus VG249Q and even that comes with 6 bits + FRC panel. I live in SEA and sadly there's not much of options here :< might just go and buy either of those monitors because the reviews have been pretty good so far.

3 hours ago, Cluff said:

I see, but after doing a little digging on some forums, I come across some argument that the difference is either not much or just outright don't matter for the average Joe. I don't know how much truth that holds but, say for this LG 27GL650F, I've read the reviews of it saying it has decent color out of the box that could be calibrated for a much better result, so is the difference "irl" negatable?

Because to be honest, the closest thing I could find is Asus VG249Q and even that comes with 6 bits + FRC panel. I live in SEA and sadly there's not much of options here :< might just go and buy either of those monitors because the reviews have been pretty good so far.

It's very personal. I have been able to spot the difference, but I am sure there are good 6bit+FRC panels and bat 8bit panels, so there is that too.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

You're doing photo editing: get a proper 8bit panel with good colors.

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!