Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Has anyone tested the Deeper Connect?

Has anyone tested the Deeper Connect? Does anyone have an opinion on it? Is it as good as they claim? Does it do anything in the background that we don't know? Is it wort it? Has anyone tested one yet? Sorry for the 20 questions 😂 It just keeps popping up everywhere in adverts and I'm just curious. Here are some links I've found about them:

https://deeper.network/#/

https://deepernetwork.io

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/deeper-connect-mini-decentralized-cybersecurity/x/13358962#/

sounds like your typical indiegogo money grab.

sounds like an embedded computer running TOR in a fancy enclosure... i expect this to be a disaster.

EDIT: i just went to their website, the "add to cart" button is above the description of what exactly it is you're buying... moneygrab++ right there.

EDIT EDIT: here's some more dirt.. in case someone comes to look for it:

Most of our team members used to hold important positions in Google, IBM, Alibaba, etc. Our technical core team members are from Palo Alto, Fortinet and other companies who are world leaders on cybersecurity.

is the quote right above the list of logo's.. the logos make it look like they are affiliated with Google, Palo Alto, etc.. while in fact.. they arent.

'important positions' is an extremely vague statement too. what exactly defines an important position, and what exactly about that validates this product? a google engineer could sell an empty box as the next big cure for cancer, that doesnt mean it's any good.

Also: given 'most of your team members' have jobs in other places... would that imply your amazing product is of such small volume that it cant sustain employee wages?

they made the '2008 free software' mistake of making a comparison chart, where their product checks all the boxes, and none of the others does.

both their websites combined contain less information about the product than the indiegogo campaign, the website is basicly just a marketing youtube video and a 'buy now' button.. there arent even any real product images, it's just renders.

their "AtomOS" has zero google hits.. because "Atomos" is a brand of cameras.

here's another fun quote:

Say goodbye and keep track of all those annoying ads. Having the functionality of a pi-hole, Deeper Connect is capable of blocking website ads.

perhaps.. because it is a $200 pi-hole hooking into TOR?

the indiegogo campaign has 5 "deeper connect user" reviews (yes, that is the names of the reviewers...) ranging 4.5 to 5 stars, hitting all the 'fake review' triggers in their explanations.

"as featured on" referring to 4 websites.. but no links to the articles.. investigation time:

- yahoo finance: a 4 paragraph article that contains no actual matter.

- bloomberg: THE SAME EXACT ARTICLE

- reuters: couldnt find the article

- nasdaq: should i even say it.. SAME FREAKING ARTICLE..

they somehow forgot to mention ACN Newswire, who wrote the article they quoted 3 times.

Buzzword bingo:

- blockchain

- decentralized

- IoT

- Plug and play

- private

Typo bingo:

- Intel quad cores cpu

Claims:

- "AtomOS" is the first lock-free networking OS... aside from the douzens of linux solutions?

- provides a "secure DPN".. which is a term that from the looks of things they invented.

- safeguards personal and business data (fail to explain how)

- privacy portection (see above)

- 7 layers of internet traffic monitoring (i didnt know monitoring was an onion)

- blocks ads, malwares, trackers (pi-hole?)

- protects your IoT devices (in the same way your home router's firewall does.. they forget to mention)

- plug & play with zero configuration (so not password protected, then?)

- enterprise-class securty operating system (yeah.. ask the colleagues at palo alto.. and then ask why they fired you for saying this.)

- intel quad cores processor and 2G memory (its a firewall.. what do i care?)

- claims that VPNs slow your connection down, but the distributed networking in this box doesnt.. which is simply impossible with this type of networking.)

- users have control over their own data (but not over the data of whoever else is using their connection trough this system?)

- Democratic internet that empowers and protects users’ privacy. (WHAT does this even mean...)

- Censorship resistant. (see any VPN provider)

- High speed Internet connection without bottlenecks. (see 4 lines above)

- 'smart route' where you can.. CONFIGURE.. which sites go trough which country? (see line 8 )

- parental control

- traffic monitor

- bandwidth sharing (directly interferes with 'doesnt slow you down' statement)

- low energy consumption (fail to list power supply requirements.. guessing out of shame)

i could keep going.. but i think at this point.. its clear this is basicly a startup dumpsterfire.

Seems you're right. That's why I figure I ask and get someone else's opinion before diving in. Thanks for your help.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the interest and comments. Most of them are rooted in misunderstanding and made in haste.

Here's a live demo from an user perspective:

“sounds like an embedded computer running TOR in a fancy enclosure...” 

Deeper Network is unlike TOR in implementation and avoids a lot of TOR’s pitfalls. Deeper Network is based off of a truly decentralized implementation (public blockchain and a unique consensus algorithm); it is able to offer faster connection, more privacy and security.  The Deeper Connect Mini is a user friendly device designed with user experience in mind while abstracting away the implementation details.

“is the quote right above the list of logo's.. the logos make it look like they are affiliated with Google, Palo Alto, etc..“ 

The project is not just for the sake of crowdfunding a product on Indiegogo. The core team behind the Deeper Network is vested in the global blockchain ecosystem as a whole, with a clear roadmap ahead. Hence, some members of the team wish to remain anonymous at this point. The team will let the product and white paper speak for itself if there is any doubt in competency. 

“they made the '2008 free software' mistake of making a comparison chart, where their product checks all the boxes, and none of the others does.” 

This is how Deeper Network genuinely believes. There isn’t a solution out there quite like the Deeper Connect Mini. Sure, there are other similar blockchain projects (without a tangible product, or something that is pleasant to use). 

“both their websites combined contain less information about the product than the indiegogo campaign, the website is basicly just a marketing youtube video and a 'buy now' button.. there arent even any real product images, it's just renders.” 

A new website is in the works. (preliminary domain: deepernetwork.io)

“their "AtomOS" has zero google hits.. because "Atomos" is a brand of cameras.” 

AtomOS is a proprietary software. Deeper Network does not believe in security through obscurity, but we are a startup and AtomOS is one our unique competitive edge. We plan to open source it once we hit target adoption rate. 

“perhaps.. because it is a $200 pi-hole hooking into TOR?” 

Deeper Connect Mini offers ad blocking feature similar to pi-hole. Just because a smartphone has a calculator feature doesn’t make it just a calculator.

“the indiegogo campaign has 5 "deeper connect user" reviews (yes, that is the names of the reviewers...) ranging 4.5 to 5 stars, hitting all the 'fake review' triggers in their explanations.” 

It was originally intended to be a section that uses a review like format to convey usage benefits from the user’s perspective. They are not genuine reviews, and should not have been presented as such. 

“as featured on" referring to 4 websites.. but no links to the articles…”

Touche.

“Buzzword bingo:” 

It may seem like a lot of buzzwords because the intention was to make the concept of security and privacy approachable and accessible, not filling up the campaign with implementation details. The intention. There is the white paper for those who are interested in its technical implementation.

“AtomOS" is the first lock-free networking OS... aside from the douzens of linux solutions?”

The keyword is lock-free networking OS

“provides a "secure DPN".. which is a term that from the looks of things they invented…7 layers of internet traffic monitoring (i didnt know monitoring was an onion)…safeguards personal and business data (fail to explain how)..privacy portection (see above)”

Deeper Connect Mini is a Decentralized Private Network and a Layer 7 firewall

“users have control over their own data (but not over the data of whoever else is using their connection trough this system?)”

You are right on this one.

“plug & play with zero configuration (so not password protected, then?)”

Zero config and password protected. Functions out of the box but one can always change the default password like a router.

“'smart route' where you can.. CONFIGURE.. which sites go trough which country? (see line 8 )”

Smart routing in layman terms means it works out of the box with geo restricted sites around the world without the need to fiddle with server locations like in a traditional VPN

“bandwidth sharing (directly interferes with 'doesnt slow you down' statement)”

Only upstream is shared. Can be disabled by user.

“low energy consumption (fail to list power supply requirements.. guessing out of shame)”

single digit in watts

“i could keep going.. but i think at this point..” 

I’ll read the whitepaper

You guys have to be aware that there are a number of devices that made a number of claims that just didn't hold up.  You need to be very transparent and the only way to do this is to get these devices into the hands of well known and respected security and tech entities (the more the merrier).  Hiding behind the "it's not ready" yet is lame so don't go there.  If you are ready to take people's money you are ready for honest reviews of alpha/beta hardware/software.  All that means is that users can can see your progress from multiple trusted sources.  People are going to be very skeptical and the only way to get over that is to be transparent and get honest industry reviews.

• 8 months later...
On 7/5/2020 at 1:27 PM, jetlagalex said:

Has anyone tested the Deeper Connect? Does anyone have an opinion on it? Is it as good as they claim? Does it do anything in the background that we don't know? Is it wort it? Has anyone tested one yet? Sorry for the 20 questions 😂 It just keeps popping up everywhere in adverts and I'm just curious. Here are some links I've found about them:

https://deeper.network/#/

https://deepernetwork.io

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/deeper-connect-mini-decentralized-cybersecurity/x/13358962#/

This guy has no earthly idea what he's talking about. He tried pretty hard to big brain here and failed miserably. If you don't know what blockchain and web 3.0 are then this product is not for you.

If you really think a VPN and DPN are the same thing and offer the same level of protection you're missing a chromosome. If you think the partnerships with Amazon,  Google, and Bestbuy are just by chance then you might also be missing a chromosome. It's a miner, not even just the first DPN ever made lmao. Don't come here asking questions about blockchain stuff most people are dumpsterfires with regular tech let alone the cutting edge of tech. Their have their own main net blockchain and weebs are on here trying to call it a scam. This guy thinks a company with their own mainnet blockchain where the coins market cap is $40 million with no marketing campaign is a scam I actually laughed aloud. You're not gonna find people with the knowledge to answer your questions here. I have one, but unless you're into web 3.0 stuff it's too early for you.